Obituary: Hong Kong Actor, Kong Ngai, Died from Lung Cancer

By on March 14, 2013 in NEWS, Obituaries

Yesterday, veteran Hong Kong actor Kong Ngai (江毅) passed away in Ruttonjee Hospital due to lung cancer, at the age of 77.

Kong Ngai gained fame perfecting the role of Guo Jing’s blind master in TVB’s 1983 and 1994 adaptations of The Legend of the Condor Heroes <射鵰英雄傳>. Kong was one of the most prolific, yet understated actor from the 1970s and 1980s.

Kong’s death was announced by former ATV producer, Yeung Siu Hung (楊紹鴻), on his Facebook page. According to Yeung, he had wanted to visit Kong Ngai at the hospital but was informed that he had passed away in the afternoon.

Kong’s friend and neighbor, Wong Jun Tong (王俊棠), revealed that Kong Ngai had been battling lung cancer for more than one year.

Kong was born in Hong Kong in 1936 under the birth name is Tang Siu Ji (鄧兆移). He changed his name to Kong Ngai in memory of his most respected percussion master, Fu Kong Sum (傅江湛). Kong’s affluent family fled Macau during the Sino-Japanese war. He made various stock investments and only dabbled with drama on the side, delighting in playing siu sangs in Cantonese operas. However, knowing the risks involved in investing stocks, Kong Ngai became a full-fledged actor in 1974 when he joined TVB.

“A Condor Hero”

Though Kong had always played supporting roles, his acting left a deep impression upon viewers, especially his portrayal of Or Chan Ngok in the 1983 adaptation of The Legend of the Condor Heroes, which propelled Felix Wong (黃日華) and the late Barbara Yung (翁美玲) to stardom. Fong was so impressive in his role that in several subsequent adaptations, he was cast in the same role.

Kong Ngai’s acting chops were so outstanding that in 2011, he was invited by Alan Mak (麥兆輝) and Felix Chong (莊文強) to take part in Overhead 2 <竊聽風雲 2>, playing a rather meaty supporting role. Alan Mak had initially planned to invite Kong Ngai to reprise his role in Overhead 3, but it is not meant to be.

Friends Grieve Over Kong Ngai’s Death

Working with Kong Ngai in Yesterday’s Glitter <京華春夢>, Liza Wang (汪明荃) expressed her shock when she was told of the actor’s passing. “It’s a loss to the Hong Kong entertainment industry to lose Kong Ngai. Not only was he our senior, he was a very good actor.”

When Kong’s Greed of Man <大時代> costar, Adam Cheng (鄭少秋) was told of his passing, he could only muster, “I have lost another long-time friend.”

Susanna Kwan (關菊英) who had worked on several projects with Kong Ngai, including 1980’s The Brothers <亲情> and 1978’s long-running The Giant <強人>, revealed that she had seen Kong Ngai in the hospital when she had gone to visit a friend several months ago. Seated in a wheelchair, the senior actor had disclosed he was ill.

Kong Ngai preferred to keep his personal life private and never brought much media attention to himself. Kong had also disclosed that he was very good friends with Danny Chan (陳百強) and Leslie Cheung (張國榮). Kong did not openly address speculations over his sexuality, but wished to be born as a woman in his next life.

Sources: ihktv.com, Oriental Daily

This article is written by Karen for JayneStars.com

52 comments to Obituary: Hong Kong Actor, Kong Ngai, Died from Lung Cancer

1. Kidd says:

He was a great actor. So sad.

R.I.P Kong Ngai.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
  2. exoidus says:

His portrayal of GJ’s 1st sifu is just outstanding.

R.I.P

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
    • HeTieShou replied:

I agree and that was his signature role. He was so excellent and is a great actor. RIP and may deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    • Cleo replied:

I felt like he was more a horror character than a sifu in that role.

Login or Register before you can reply to Cleo
  3. jayne says:

Another actor from our youth gone. Kong Ngai will always be remembered by TVB fans.

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
  4. yoga says:

R.I.P

Hello Jayne and everyone,is he also start as same role in Julian Cheung condor hero as blind master ?

Login or Register before you can reply to yoga
    • HeTieShou replied:

Yes, it was him as mentioned in the article.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    • Darren replied:

i think what the article referring about? the 1995 adaptation of condor hero where he reprises the same role?

Login or Register before you can reply to Darren
      • Hannah replied:

Yes. He pretty much played the same role in all TVB Condor Heroes.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
    • minnieb replied:

Yes, he was

Login or Register before you can reply to minnieb
  5. ping0 says:

R.I.P he was also in mystery with the twin sword, the guy thinking his wife turn into the chicken.

Login or Register before you can reply to ping0
  6. Hannah says:

RIP, Kong Ngai.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
  7. Larry 3 says:

He is 77 years old. Born in 1936.

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
  8. Larry 3 says:

30 years ago, he acted great in LOCH. He kept his acting ability up to par til recently. Very great memories of evil and gentler characters that he acted.

Deeply sadden by his passing.

RIP

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
  9. Mlove says:

RIP.

I remember him in a vampire series with Sammi Cheng.

Login or Register before you can reply to Mlove
  10. Lyle says:

I also remember him in that vampire series, I’ve seen his other work too another talented artiste that has passed.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lyle
  11. cloud9 says:

Like to see him portrayal eunuch, much better currant eunuch actors
    Miss him
    R.I.P Sir

Login or Register before you can reply to cloud9
    • HeTieShou replied:

He did play DFBB in the 80s version of XAJH and he did portray a eunuch before. He played a eunuch in that one series with Adam, Kathy and Carina. I think it was called Fate takes A hand or something like that… He played an evil eunuch in there.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  12. Anon says:

R.I.P. Sir

You were one of my favorite veteran actors of your time. I grew up watching most of your drama series, including, but not limited to the Condor Heroes. I remember asking my grandparents about you all of the time when I was a child, who you were, which dramas you were part of, etc. You will forever be missed cause you had a special place in my heart.

Thank you for your years of contribution to the industry and the life of those that you’ve positively impacted on.

Login or Register before you can reply to Anon
  13. P.Tan says:

The sad passing of a noteworthy actor. Condolences to his grieving family.

Login or Register before you can reply to P.Tan
  14. Mei-Yin says:

So sad to hear this news! I remember him from lots of old classic dramas. He was an amaziing actor!

Login or Register before you can reply to Mei-Yin
  15. Lol says:

He was a great actor. RIP 🙁

Login or Register before you can reply to Lol
  16. 潘杰姆 says:

What a shock and sad news.

Login or Register before you can reply to 潘杰姆
  17. wen wen says:

RIP Kong Ngai, you surely be missed.

Login or Register before you can reply to wen wen
  18. Mav says:

We have lost another great actor. RIP.

Login or Register before you can reply to Mav
  19. WildBerries says:

Sigh, another talent has left us. RIP, you will be remembered.

Login or Register before you can reply to WildBerries

A grand age nonetheless but RIP

21. TVBZzz says:

RIP I grew up watching him too. Aside from his role in LOCH, he was also impressive playing the bad guy in Instinct and The Greed of Man. He was smoking so much in these series, which no doubt lead to his lung cancer.

Login or Register before you can reply to TVBZzz
  22. milktea says:

Sad to hear this. RIP uncle Kong Ngai.

Login or Register before you can reply to milktea
  23. Gar says:

You will always be remembered. RIP.

Login or Register before you can reply to Gar
  24. Nick says:

Just watched Looking Back In Anger the other day. Didn’t know he was this old to begin with. Great actor. Haven’t seen him in a series for so long…but then again, I haven’t watched TVB for years.

Login or Register before you can reply to Nick
  25. AlldayLin says:

RIP!!! He had one of the best voices on TVB, if he spoke, I can tell who is talking.

Login or Register before you can reply to AlldayLin
  26. based says:

he was amazing in greed of man. very sad to hear him pass away. RIP.

Login or Register before you can reply to based
  27. happybi says:

He was a great actor! May he rest in peace.

Login or Register before you can reply to happybi
  28. Rambling Mind says:

RIP Kong Ngai. You were a great actor. Never the main star but your roles were of utmost importance. You brought life and substance to the screen and I will miss your acting.

Thank you for giving me countless hours of entertainment. I, for one, will miss your craft and your screen presence.

Login or Register before you can reply to Rambling Mind
  29. lol says:

on a lighter note, i wonder if mr.ngai would approve Angelababy as little dragon girl.

Login or Register before you can reply to lol
  30. Woot says:

He’s an undisputed excellent actor. Why do people like him don’t get much chances in acting?? He’s so good, unlike whatever talent we have nowadays. RIP. You’ll be sorely missed :(:(:(

Login or Register before you can reply to Woot
  31. llwy12 says:

I was so saddened to hear this! Another great actor gone!!

Kong Ngai was another one of those elder actors whom I grew up watching — he was one fine actor who was convincing in every role he played. Who can forget his role as Ngor Chun Ngok in LOTCH (no one has been able to surpass him in this role, even to this day) or his classic line ‘So many people die, why don’t see you die’ in Greed of Man? His villain roles were one of a kind, especially with that ‘unique’ laugh of his, which, combined with that scathing glare he’d do with his eyes, always managed to send chills down my spine…..

R.I.P. Uncle Kong Ngai! We will surely miss you!

Login or Register before you can reply to llwy12
  32. Joey says:

So sad. He was a great actor. He will be remembered.

Login or Register before you can reply to Joey
  33. pandamao says:

he had great chemistry with the whole Jing Yong cast back in the days. He worked well with the younger generate too, such as Louis Koo and Julian Cheung in the more recent adaptations.

It’s quite a pity to lose such a great actor. He was impeccable in Overheard 2 as well. Hopefully our other veterans like Tsang Kwong stays healthy and continues to excel in the film industry.

Login or Register before you can reply to pandamao
  34. mosailan says:

awww! he had a distinct laugh when he was playing a bad guy! the eyes also spoke volumes! RIP!

Login or Register before you can reply to mosailan
    • Karen replied:

Oh yes! His stares can freeze ice!

Login or Register before you can reply to Karen
    • HeTieShou replied:

Yes, his eyes know how to talk which is a great for good actors to have.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    • Eunice replied:

I must agree, he did have a distinct voice. RIP. So many people dying of cancer now…

Login or Register before you can reply to Eunice
  35. 4everFan says:

Wow, I am amazed at how many people watched him growing up and remember him He freaked me out in many of his villain roles. R.I.P.

Login or Register before you can reply to 4everFan
  36. TN1 says:

Great actor n forever gone, RIP!

Login or Register before you can reply to TN1
  37. irene says:

RIP.

Will sorely miss your fine acting.

Login or Register before you can reply to irene
  38. lim funn says:

Kong Ngai has the ability to put himself at the centre of attraction no matter how small the role.

I most remember him as Bowie lam’s estranged father in Greed Of Man, one of my all time favorite TVB modern series.

His role in Overheard 2 was quite small but the scene in the car park was classic Kong Ngai.

RIP. You’ll be missed.

Login or Register before you can reply to lim funn
  39. Storm says:

Once you hear 静儿 in any condor hero series. you will picture kong ngai’s face in your head..

Login or Register before you can reply to Storm
  40. Cara says:

RIP. My condolences to his family. I grew up watching his series. He actually scared me when I was young with his portrayal of Gui Jing’s sifi. He was a great actor – his roles as a villain were very convincing.

Login or Register before you can reply to Cara
  41. skinnymocha says:

May he rest in peace. He’ll always be fondly remembered as a part of my childhood.

Login or Register before you can reply to skinnymocha
  42. Panzer says:

Wow that sucks.
    Didn’t he lose his wife not too long ago too?

He was a great actor and I always hated his characters in everything I saw him in. He truly put everything he had into his roles and his characters came alive, so vivid in his portrayals. I hope one day to see him as a good guy in something, I would like to compare since I only know him as the super bad guy 😛

Login or Register before you can reply to Panzer