Tony Leung Scared to Watch Himself in “The Duke of Mount Deer”

By on March 23, 2016 in NEWS

Tony Leung Scared to Watch Himself in “The Duke of Mount Deer”

TVB’s classic 1984 adaptation of Jin Yong’s The Duke of Mount Deer <鹿鼎記> is currently airing on the midnight time slot of TVB Jade. The 40-episode drama, produced by Lee Tim-sing (李添勝), starred the then 22-year-old Tony Leung Chiu-wai (梁朝偉) and 23-year-old Andy Lau (劉德華) in the lead roles.

“I watched a bit of it a few nights ago,” said Tony. “Scared myself! Went straight to sleep!”

On March 22, Project House held a 25th anniversary dinner, attended by film artists such as director Wong Kar-wai (王家衛), Tony Leung, Chang Chen (張震), Sandrine Pinna (張榕容), and more. Wong Kar-wai, who also owns Project House, expressed his bittersweet thoughts at how fast 25 years have gone by, but did say that he is very satisfied with all the films he have made so far. The director is currently working on the comedy-drama film The Ferryman <擺渡人>, which stars Tony Leung and Takeshi Kaneshiro (金城武). “It’s almost done,” he said. “Takeshi and Tony work so well together. We all had a great time.”

Despite rumors of delayed filming, Tony said he had a great time shooting The Ferryman. “I’m very happy to be able to film a comedy. I want to continue to do more films with positive energy.”

The award-winning actor revealed that he will be shooting Europe Raiders <歐洲攻略>, also a comedy to be directed by Wong Kar-wai, soon after finishing The Ferryman. As Tony took an extended break after shooting 2013’s The Grandmaster <一代宗師>, Tony’s sudden workload is surprising.

“That is the life of a film actor,” said Tony. “Either you never come across a movie you want to do, and wait; or they all come at once, and be very busy.” Joking that Tony would not be able to have time to spend with wife Carina Lau (劉嘉玲), he said, “She’s even busier than me! It’s always been like that.”

Mentioning that TVB is currently broadcasting his 1984 television drama The Duke of Mount Deer, Tony said, “It scared me! I watched a bit a few nights ago, and couldn’t handle it anymore. I went straight to sleep!” The former TVB actor added that he does not save his old television dramas.

Source: Headline Daily, Oriental Daily

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

30 comments to Tony Leung Scared to Watch Himself in “The Duke of Mount Deer”

1. tiffany says:

I enjoyed his TV dramas. He had so many great roles!

Login or Register before you can reply to tiffany
    • hetieshou replied:

@tiffany
      Me too and I feel that all of his movies cannot match up to his series. I am just not a movie lover but love series more.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
  2. alluka says:

After years, he is still amazing as always :).

Login or Register before you can reply to alluka
  3. hetieshou says:

Tony has always been an amazing actor with a very humble and down to earth personality. I love all of his TVB series. I feel he should be proud of them too. I guess maybe he is the type that does not like to watch himself onscreen. I personally would not like watching myself on screen unless I had to.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
    • freedalas replied:

@hetieshou “I personally would not like watching myself on screen unless I had to.”

What???!!! Who the hell are you to say that? What TV dramas or movies have you appeared in that qualify you to say that?

Wait, hang on. I get it now. You’re actually Chow Yun Fatt or Andy Lau using the nick @hetieshou to come to this forum. Wow! We’ve a Golden Horse winner among our midst.

Login or Register before you can reply to freedalas
      • hetieshou replied:

@freedalas

Boy you have a thick face and a stinky mouth. Keep on polluting this place while you can before you get kicked out which is sooner or later. I am sure everyone is waiting for you to get out. You are more annoying than HeHongyao. I can see you will end up like her too.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
      • freedalas replied:

@hetieshou Why don’t you give a straight response to my questions instead of trying to wriggle out with all the ranting and threats? Pray tell which TV dramas or movies had you acted in before that you wouldn’t want to watch yourself onscreen? You took selfies or capture some videos of yourself with your mobile phone and you call that being onscreen? Do you actually know what the hell you are talking about?

Login or Register before you can reply to freedalas
      • hetieshou replied:

@freedalas

I was not going to waste my time on you but just had to say how stupid you are if you do not even know what is was sayng. I said IF i was an actress, I personally would not want to watch myself on screen because it would be awkward. When the hell did I ever say I was an actress? YOU are the one who does not know what you are saying. I am 1000% sure how everyone feels about you here. You are just too blind and thick skinned to see how much people despise you. How sad is that? Let’s see how much longer you can bash WCL or anyone here before he hires a hitman to murder a xiao ren like you. One day I truly hope that Jayne bans you for good before you continue to pick fights and insult others.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
      • freedalas replied:

@hetieshou Please tell me where in your original post did you say “IF I was an actress”? I read it a million times and there was no “IF I was an actress”.What you said was “I personally would not like watching myself on screen unless I had to.” That was what you said and that implies you had made TV dramas and movies before.

So now you’re prepared to put imaginary words into your original post just to get out of this? What a moron!

Login or Register before you can reply to freedalas
      • aiya replied:

@hetieshou

Where the heck is Sheriff Jimmy Szeto? Isn’t he suppose to keep peace and order around here?

Login or Register before you can reply to aiya
      • jimmyszeto replied:

@aiya
        Your attempt to emulate freedalas by writing ‘who is this moron Deric Wan’ to cause controversy had been relegated to a damp squib. You have already failed miserably to make an impact after being exposed of misunderstanding a simple written article. You might gain back a bit of respect by answering on the other post instead of ‘running away’ and sneaking a cheap shot here.

Login or Register before you can reply to jimmyszeto
      • aiya replied:

@jimmyszeto Oh Little Jimmy, are you still at it?
        Since when making fun or satirizing celebs = causing controversies? If that were the case, you better go after ton load of other people before coming to me. Emulating freedala? not quite, I never make it a point to go after other posters in this forum. In fact, Jayne had once posted the forum policy that it is ok to comment on celebs but not Ok to insult or attack fellow posters. What freedala has done with WCL is actually within the forum’s boundaries, despite her(his) obsessiveness in doing so. what was not OK was her(his) attack on fellow posters for which they all have been warned.

Unlike you with your pithy posts about how good/or bad some celebs’ photos were, my intention of participating in this forum is to have fun and not impress anyone? If that were my intention, it would certainly not in an entertainment forum like this and over frivilous exploits by celebs. LOL! There is no reasons for me to devote much of my time and energy to continue debating or discussing stupid celeb exploits with aging fanboys like you

Sheriff Szeto, just do your self-appointed job and go after the real offenders in this forum

Login or Register before you can reply to aiya
      • jimmyszeto replied:

@aiya

Forum policy and forum boundaries? What a sad guy you are! I forgot who the hell you was until you mentioned my name in this unrelated post. So what about this indirect sneaky insult to a fellow poster? Does that meet your mythical forum criteria? You previously devoted a lot of time to debate but ran when exposed that you didn’t make any sense.

Login or Register before you can reply to jimmyszeto
      • nvaumnd replied:

@freedalas hilarious

Login or Register before you can reply to nvaumnd
    • happybi replied:

@hetieshou Just ignore. Someone is trying to pick another fight now that “it” know it is being ignored.

Login or Register before you can reply to happybi
      • freedalas replied:

Is @hetieshou such a wimp that you have to his rescue? Why? you can’t even defend your own posts and you want to be “kar leung”? You are even a greater loser than I thought.

Login or Register before you can reply to freedalas
      • hetieshou replied:

@happybi
        Thanks and yes I will ignore it but will just post one last message to see if it will get to its thick skull and then ignore from now on. Thanks for your support. I still wonder why Jayne has not banned it.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
      • happybi replied:

@hetieshou she is too thick headed to understand. Love just ignoring her. Ha!

Login or Register before you can reply to happybi
      • freedalas replied:

@happybi A moron advising another moron. Why don’t you admit that you don’t have the balls to take me on and take the easy way out by ignoring.

Login or Register before you can reply to freedalas
  4. happybi says:

Tony was great in all his dramas! He was so young back then. Still handsome as always!!! I feel many people wouldn’t like to see themselves act when they were young. Must find it awkward.

Login or Register before you can reply to happybi
  5. llwy12 says:

Haha..aww, love Tony!  Amazing actor with a humble, down-to-earth personality, and just overall great person!  And he still has that unique sense of humor that I’ve always loved about him!  I also loved all of Tony’s series back when he was with TVB and while I enjoyed most of his movies too, I prefer his older classics, as I kind of feel like his movie roles the past few years haven’t been as interesting and varied as his movie and TV roles from way back when.  Regardless though, still love him and always will!

Tony’s version of DOMD is and always will be a classic – a series that I can re-watch a dozen times and still not get tired of it (actually, same thing can be said of many of the classic series from back in the 80s/early 90s period).  And I still feel that the 1984 TVB version of DOMD had the best cast, whether main characters or minor ones….ah, makes me once again miss those old days of TVB – a period where there was such an overflow of talent both in front of the screen (actors and actresses) and behind it (scriptwriters, producers, directors, etc.) that it was relatively easy to find a good, quality series to watch.  Nowadays — let’s just say that I barely pay attention to what’s on TVB anymore….

Login or Register before you can reply to llwy12
    • hetieshou replied:

@llwy12
      Well said and I love the Domd version with Tony and Andy. I have seen the remakes and enjoyed them too,but the classic version is still the most special to me. My mom says no one can be as good as Tony in the role of Wei Xiao bao. I really miss the good old days. I hardly watch any Tvb series these days but luckily I have other options these days.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
  6. asian2015 says:

This is weird. I mean what so scared of? if watching yourself on screen again. It’s just like looking at your old photos that’s it right? I think he should be proud to watch it see how good looking he was back in the old day. Now he still is but can’t compared with his old day. Don’t get me wrong and I do like Tony but in here he is just a joke.

Login or Register before you can reply to asian2015
    • kidd replied:

@asian2015

Many actors don’t like watching their old movies, especially those they filmed many many years ago, because their acting has improved a lot since then and it pained them to watch their old ‘bad’ acting.

I think no one would say Sheren Tang was a bad actress even in her first few series. But, Sheren Tang herself said she felt her acting was very bad when she rewatched her old series.

Login or Register before you can reply to kidd
      • asian2015 replied:

@kidd well if I was him I’ll just keep it as for a memory not gonna hurt. Plus it’s been so many years already so he had nothing to worry about and I don’t think everyone is perfect for a new actor just have to keep on trying hard. We all know he’s now a best actor he should be proud.

Login or Register before you can reply to asian2015
    • bafabifi replied:

@asian2015 i think some actors just don’t like watching their own movies. Like Johnny Depp said he never watched any of his movies, so he doesn’t know whether he did well or not. He said he will get stressed out watching himself in the movie because then he will think he should done this and that, but the movie is already out so he can’t change it. While many watched their movies, I think filming can be quite stressful for some as they got into their character too much, and watching it may trigger the unhappy memories from filming. Leehom also said that while filming lust caution, the scene where he had to break the neck was very scary his hand couldn’t stop shaking for two days. During the press con he said he still got the chill everytime he thinks about that scene eventhough its (obviously) not real killing.

Login or Register before you can reply to bafabifi
  7. happybi says:

Why is the hypocrite tagging me again??? I guess she doesn’t like to read about herself from the sideline. Oppps. Like I care.

Because someone can’t read between the line of @hetieshou post that she feel she is right. Talk about having comprehension problem.

Login or Register before you can reply to happybi
    • hetieshou replied:

@happybi
      Just ignore it as it is just trying to pick fights. It is too stupid to interpret what I was saying so accused me of not saying it all out. Let’s see when it will get its butt kicked out of here…

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
      • jimmyszeto replied:

@hetieshou
        He obviously understands what you are trying to say but he is just picking on your words on purpose to cause an argument. All sentences can be interpreted in many ways.He is just randomly choosing you to pick on because he is trying to show off.

Login or Register before you can reply to jimmyszeto