Wife Takes Care of Kong Wah After He Stopped Working for 5 Years

By on April 7, 2014 in Hot Gossip!, NEWS

Kong Wah (江華) has been in the industry since the mid-eighties. Though the ATV-turned-TVB actor does not have an expansive filmography, he was once one of TVB’s most popular and acclaimed actors, and almost every production he starred in would end up being a hit series. His last two series with TVB, The King of Yesterday and Tomorrow <九五至尊> and The Conqueror’s Story <楚漢驕雄>, added to his acclaimed resume.

After announcing his departure from TVB in 2004, Kong Wah left Hong Kong to shoot a Mainland Chinese series. The fans and the media looked forward to Kong Wah’s expansion in China, but after shooting the 2009 period drama Life in Sanyuan County <跟紅頂白大三元>, Kong Wah went into a hiatus. For the next few years, Kong Wah stayed behind the scenes, only occasionally making public appearances when his wife, Connie Kitman Mak (麥潔文), held singing events.

Signs of Depression

Kong Wah’s slow steps away from the entertainment industry left behind many questions. Kong Wah’s passion for acting remains, but reports say that since he injured his waist and leg in 2006, he has developed signs of depression. He has completely stopped shooting television and films since 2009, and his wife Kitman became the sole breadwinner of the family.

Kong Wah once admitted in an interview, “The doctor told me that my cartilage pressed against my nerves. For an entire year, I could not stand or sit. It was painful. I was scared, scared for my family, and I didn’t know what I would be able to do if I changed careers. I felt like I’ve fallen into a situation where there was no way out. I almost had a nervous breakdown. I didn’t know what to do, and was very depressed.”

He also admitted that he was scared he would commit suicide, revealing that he had experienced some hallucinations. “I saw people who were already dead. I knew it was a hallucination, felt so perplexed, and was scared that I would kill myself. I lived like this every day.”

Though Kong Wah has managed to control his mental state, he was afraid that his situation would rebound, and decided to turn down all acting offers that were handed to him. “Now, acting has become something like eating chicken ribs – it doesn’t taste good but it’s a pity to discard it. However, I would not force myself to act for a living.”

A Modest Lifestyle

Kitman, a popular singer and actress in the eighties, retired from the entertainment industry soon after marrying Kong Wah in the early nineties. They have two children, a son and daughter, and used to live in an independent luxury house from Palm Springs, Yuen Long. Though Kitman brought in good income as a vocal teacher, it was not enough to support their upscale lifestyle. The family of four left their Palm Springs estate two years ago and moved into a village house in Sai Kung. Recently, reporters discovered that the family is currently living in a rented village house in Sha Tau Kok, a two-hour distance from the city.

Kong Wah’s house is situated next to a farm and the closest grocery store is at least twenty minutes away. A neighbor in Sha Tau Kok revealed, “Kong Wah’s family moved here several months ago! They live on the bottom floor. Mrs. Kwong chats with us all the time. I usually see her leave the house really early in the morning. She says she teaches singing. She doesn’t return home until after buying groceries at night.” The neighbor added that while Kitman was busy at work during the day, Kong Wah sulked at home and rarely interacted with the neighbors. “He would occasionally come out and wash his car though. But it’s odd how a big celebrity like him would degrade himself to live in a 700 square feet village house.” Kong Wah’s current village house has a rental price of $7,000 HKD a month.

Now a stay-at-home dad, Kong Wah is seen driving Kitman to work every day, who teaches at a rented studio in Tsim Sha Tsui. Recently, Kong Wah was seen spending time with his daughter in Tsim Sha Tsui.

“I have a great wife,” said Kong Wah. “She would not complain about how I have no income. She understands me, knows I am someone responsible, and never gave me pressure. She lets me do whatever I want.”

On April 1, a reporter met up with Kong Wah, who was taking his wife to a memorial music show for Leslie Cheung (張國榮). He seemed a bit offended that the reporter knew about his current living quarters in Sha Tau Kok, quickly saying, “Yes, I moved because I’m poor. I have no money to live in a mansion. That’s why I moved to Sha Tau Kok!”

He said he does not mind about the inconvenient location, saying that Hong Kong is a small city and it is easy to get around. He denied that he is currently jobless, saying that he “occasionally works” when he felt like it.

Asked if TVB had called him back, Kong Wah said, “I’ve always had a basic contract with TVB. It’s not because they don’t want me, but it’s because I don’t want to film! I was the one who didn’t want to renew my contract.” Asked if he had any mainland Chinese drama offers, he said, “I haven’t come across a good script recently. So no.”

At the memorial concert, Kitman said, “We don’t want fame and wealth anymore. We want to live a peaceful and natural life. Sha Tau Kok is not bad. There isn’t much people, the air is good, and it’s very comfortable.”

Source: Sudden Weekly via ihktv.com

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

95 comments to Wife Takes Care of Kong Wah After He Stopped Working for 5 Years

1. Nick says:

He made so many series, I refuse to think he’s poor. But then again, TVB actors are dirt poor when it comes to salary. Maybe he just wants want a break.

Login or Register before you can reply to Nick

This is terrible. Maybe having something to do will help? He still have fans looking forward to his return. I hope he snaps out of it and come back to filming. He needs to help out his wife financially.

• g replied:

u dun just snap out of a depression or sickness….

Login or Register before you can reply to g
      • Munkimui replied:

Agreed totally

Login or Register before you can reply to Munkimui
  3. Larry 3 says:

He also did some RTHK series which hardly anyone remembers. I dont blame him if TVB causes him from depression.

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
    • Funn Lim replied:

I think it is personal. He was always the lead in TVB. I think like he said the problem was himself health wise and perhaps being older.

• kiwi replied:

Yup, personal issues. Signs of marriage in trouble.

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
      • kolo replied:

though with his talent and on screen charisma,its a waste that he already want to retire from the entertainment industry.i like him the most in king of yesterday and tomorrow.hope he will get better soon.

Login or Register before you can reply to kolo
      • skinnymocha replied:

He was forever babysitting Anne Heung back then and TVB stuck him in a lot of second lead roles; he was behind Bobby, Gallen Lo, Louis Koo, D_cky Cheung, Benny Chan… But anyway, he did gain a great deal of prominence and exposure during his tenure at TVB. I just prefer the roles he were given during his days with ATV, although I did LOVE his chemistry with Esther Kwan. Kong Wah (along with Deric Wan and Gallen) was my favourite TV actor in the 90’s. I wish him all the best (and as a selfish fan, I do wish he’d come back to our screens soon!).

I remember watching an interview of his within the last few years and he mentioned teaching drama students? He and Eric Wan on the same show (but on separate occasions) also discussed their hopes for ATV and its revival.

Login or Register before you can reply to skinnymocha
      • picklehead replied:

Skinnymocha – do you think Kong Wah got those lead roles because he was always playing second fiddle to Deric, Bobby and Gallen and when they left it gave him room for lead roles?

He did star with Anne for quite a number of series…I always found his acting was very stiff. he was good looking, but acting came off stiff, perhaps that was his character.

Login or Register before you can reply to picklehead
      • sophia replied:

He was in a lot of series with Melissa Ng too. I like them together.

Login or Register before you can reply to sophia
  4. m0m0 says:

i hope he recovers from his depression. i loved his acting.

Login or Register before you can reply to m0m0
  5. mindy says:

I loved kwong wah. I though he was a fantastic actor with a lot of onscreen charisma!

My favorite role of his is king of yesterday and tomorrow. Its a pity he no longer acts….

He is truly an amazing actor! wish he gets back on his feet and continue doing what he’s good at which is acting. Don’t want such a talent to go to waste.

Login or Register before you can reply to mindy
  6. sandcherry says:

I also like Kong Wah. Feel sorry to find out his current conditions ….. poor and with back and leg problems. Hope he will recover soon and film a few more drama series for his fans.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
    • sophia replied:

Yeah. If he recovers and wants to film again, I am sure he will be able to have better living conditions. He is one of the best actors. I rather watch his acting than most of the other actors at TVB.

Login or Register before you can reply to sophia
    • kiwi replied:

Like his acting but don’t like the way he walks. Got irritated with the swinging.

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
      • g replied:

yeah! his walking is weird, it’s like the “king” walk? u know what i mean? LOL

Login or Register before you can reply to g
      • picklehead replied:

I agree! His voice also sounds like he doesn’t have enough breath/air.

Login or Register before you can reply to picklehead
      • bizzybody replied:

I like watching his acting and somehow his ‘walk’ is part of him. Yup it does look like the king’s walk which is why the role he played as emperor suits him well.
        He was also quite good as the villain in A Step into the Past.
        Hope he does make a comeback if there is a suitable script.

Login or Register before you can reply to bizzybody
      • kolo replied:

with his talent he can play all kind of roles,his acting is equel to that from gallen lo in my opinion,but he never got the recognition he deserved from tvb. hope tvb will make some work to get him back.

Login or Register before you can reply to kolo
  7. sandcherry says:

Kong Wah has some kind of a real artiste’s temper ….. emotional, temperamental, and perfectionist. He may not feel happy if he cannot do his best with his current health conditions. Therefore, he would rather “retire” from the entertainment industry.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
    • kiwi replied:

He has a temper and emotional issues but for sure no perfectionism there. I rather have him act than speak in public and doing interviews.

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
  8. dd says:

i love him soooo much! he was in so many good dramas 😛 i really hope he comes back and film something~~~`

Login or Register before you can reply to dd
  9. Ren&Mio says:

I really like him in the king of yesterday and tomorrow, hope he will get recovered and come back to the small screen.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ren&Mio
    • sophia replied:

yeah love him there. He was so hilarious. I remember the scene he was trying to court Melissa Ng. OMG. He told the chef to get him roses and blah blah.
      I like him with Melissa Ng. They look good together.

Login or Register before you can reply to sophia
  10. Hannahh says:

i really really like him, watch all his drama when i was a kid. Please come back! So sad to see him in this situation.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannahh
  11. Pete says:

Hope he’ll be recover & stay strong. All he needs to do take a break & workout. It will help him relax. Someday he’ll return on screen.

Login or Register before you can reply to Pete
  12. cloudandsea says:

He is one of my favourite actor. He is like the PERFECT person to portray the role as an emperor ever. Pity that he has health problems and can’t act. Hope he gets well soon and all the best for his marriage!

Login or Register before you can reply to cloudandsea
    • Shrimpboat replied:

agree! he was always my favorite for emperor roles. really wishing all the best to his health and his family. media needs to leave him alone.

Login or Register before you can reply to Shrimpboat
  13. lemongrass says:

Always remember him as the shifu to Monkey King.

Login or Register before you can reply to lemongrass
  14. Nori says:

I started to like since watching Journey To The West and then his next role as Chien Lung in Happy Ever After. Hope he will make a comeback.

Login or Register before you can reply to Nori
  15. angelababy2 says:

throw him out of the house! why take care him that doesn’t want to work? don’t want to throw, use broom to swept him out! i would like to see this scenario, ha ha ha………………….

Login or Register before you can reply to angelababy2
    • Nori replied:

LOL… You’re so pathetic

Login or Register before you can reply to Nori
      • angelababy2 replied:

Thank you for your support. i think kick him out from the house is the 101% right according to wong jing and wong chau sang the 2 super idiots. kwong wah face looks like Japanese Glay Teru.

Login or Register before you can reply to angelababy2
    • HeTieShou replied:

You are SOOO rude!! What about women who stay home and the men have to take care of them just because they are plain lazy and do not want to work and take care of themselves??? Why look down on men who stay at home and not women? In Kong Wah’s case, he has an illness that is really serious so what is wrong with staying home?? He is lucky to have a good wife that is not traditional, gold digging and greedy like some women are today. If I were a guy, I would NOT even come to close to a girl like you…

• Funn Lim replied:

Actually it is in Chinese culture that people do tend to look down on house husband. If he is sick, understandable. But people will say snide remarks like he is the luckiest husband in the world, he is not man enough, etc etc. Whether he is sick or lazy is immaterial. I think he is unwell but 5 years is too long for a holiday. It is time he gets back to work to have healthy mental faculties. He needs it, his wife needs it, his children will respect him more for it, TVB needs him and fans need him.

• sandcherry replied:

Actually I think Kong Wah may feel better in terms of depression if he returns to work, maybe on a part-time basis. His brain will be fully occupied and he won’t have time to get into further depression.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry

@Funn,
        I know that and that is why I always fight against those old fashioned traditions. Even my parents who are really traditional believe that the women need to work as well. I can tell you that in my family, there are 2 cases of “house husbands” and none of the people in my family look down on that. Two of my uncles used to be the sole bread winners when they were younger while my aunts stayed home. However, they are both ill now and cannot work so they stay at home while their wives work. Times are different now and my family is really really traditional as well. But even they do not look down on that. My uncles have stayed home for longer than 5 years too. It is great if he can come back to work, but you know if he is physically and not mentally well yet, it is not a good idea to do so. I am sure if his children are mature enough then they will not look down on him or lose respect for him. Only those close minded traditional people would because they do not understand and still live in the old world. It does not matter if TVB or his fans need him because IF they truly care for him then they should think for him and know what he needs and not what they want from him.

• Funn Lim replied:

Sandcherry, exactly what I am saying.

• Funn Lim replied:

I am from those older generation sort of mentality. I agree he may be unwell but from the looks of it, he looks fine to me. Mental health is a delicate issue. Maybe he has no issue at all. Maybe he enjoys his holiday, he enjoys being lazy, maybe something is stopping him from being active at work. My mom just sniggered at a house husband not just 1 day ago! What a coincidence. Anyway if he is physically well, his wife should stop mollycoddling him and order him to work. It sounds harsh but tough love helps. He doesn’t seem to be so unwell that he stops being eloquent or shuns going out. So to me he is taking an extended holiday and maybe, just maybe it is time he stops the holiday and return to civilisation so to speak. I know he is disappointed with the work he was offered, maybe not really about money, he is after all an actor who once had bad gossips about being diva so I always feel he has a high standard. He is not a work horse or a cow or some factory worker churning work after work of substandard quality. So I get his frustration and I get why he rather retire and do absolutely nothing (but who knows, he may be active in church stuff? Isn’t he a christian now?). He doesn’t play the fame game well. But you know, he is my most favourite actor from ATV and TVB combined, I want him not just to do well, but be well. KK Cheung and Michael Miu and even Eddie Kwan needs their break and so Kong Wah would be very much appreciated if he comes back to work. TVB needs a veteran of his gravitas.

@Sandcherry,
        True, but we honestly do not know if he is better enough and also when you are depressed, it is hard to focus on anything. But seriously, none of us know how he is.

• HeTieShou replied:

How do you feel towards house wives then?? Why is it ok for them to stay home and leech off their husbands but not the other way around?? lets be fair here… I understand what you mean, but since we are not him or his wife or family member, we do not have the right to judge him or demand him to come back. I like Kong wah a lot and really miss seeing him in series, but we do not know how he is. You cannot just look at a person and know if they are well or not. Many people that I know are ill, but you cannot tell that they are by just looking at them. Like my oldest brother, he looks ill but if you just talked to him on the phone, he is a motor mouth and sounds fine. But he is not physically fine at all…

• Funn Lim replied:

“Why is it ok for them to stay home and leech off their husbands but not the other way around??”

No one ever says a housewife as leeching off their husband. Housewife works by taking care of the home, children, husband, cleaning, etc so those are not leaching. Can’t be compared with materialistic trophy wives and even trophy wives serve their purpose.

It is the reality of things. In Asia, a house husband is frowned upon, not in western world. In Asia a husband rarely take time off for paternity leave. They get scorned, not in western world.

A lot of people are not physically fine but they make do with whatever they can because they’re forced into situations where necessity is the mother of all invention. So Kong Wah is indeed very lucky to have a wife willing to bear the burden with him and indulge him and let him be. Others may not be so fortunate.

• HeTieShou replied:

Then why isn’t it ok for a guy to do all of those things and be a house husband??? Sorry but we need to crush those double standards and live in the 21st century. I guess leeching is the wrong word, but I do not find anything wrong with a husband that stays home and does all that while the wife works to bring home the bacon. I guess I was born and raised in the west while you live in Asia. I had an aunt that lived visited from Asia and she was shocked that men actually did the dishes. I guess that truly shows something.

You are right that Kong Wah is lucky and many others are not so fortunate. But who says he was always going to be like that?? I have a good feeling that one day he will make a strong come back…

• Primrose replied:

Actually a lot of stay home fathers I know who are in their late 30s and 40s are sort of retired. They have earned enough and they can afford to live off their investments and shares earnings. Of course, many are also from well-to-do families. My point is that – many of the stay home fathers are not really bums and depending on the wife to support the family.

Login or Register before you can reply to Primrose
      • kiwi replied:

大男人. Kong is conceited and cocky. The guy is too proud. He’s taking his entirely family down the unhappy path with him. A stubborn man. A loser behavior.

Don’t see why the men should stay at home. What a joke that wealthy men “househusband”. The filthy rich aim higher not lower.

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
      • kiwi replied:

大男人. Kong is conceited and c.o.c.k.y. The guy is too proud. He’s taking his entirely family down the unhappy path with him. A stubborn man. A loser behavior.

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
      • MW replied:

“大男人” will not “leech off” a woman. haha 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to MW
      • Primrose replied:

I think you misunderstood kiwi. I am not referring to “house-husbands” as in men who stay home to do housework, change diapers and run grocery errands. Talking about men who have accumulated enough wealth to not need to work to support the family. They may not be filthy rich like the Richard Lis and Julian Huis. But they live in affluent suburbs, their kids attend international schools, they drive flashy cars … Some of their wives don’t enough work!

Login or Register before you can reply to Primrose
      • Ita replied:

Wow, you sound quite harsh in your comment yourself.
        Why would you think all of housewives leech of the husband?. You think all housewives just sit around and watch drama and do nothing. Your statement just generalized everyone.
        For me Kong wah could be just plain lazy. If you have depression, working and keep busy probably will be better for him. You keep saying we don’t know his condition. True!. But you don’t know his as well. He could be just plain lazy, who knows!.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ita
      • Tree replied:

Do you live in western world? if not, how would you know what get scorned in western world? Better question yet, have you been outside of malaysia?

Login or Register before you can reply to Tree
  16. silentwhistle says:

whats wrong with being a stay at home dad? especially when you have an illness? people need to snap out of these old fashion views regarding gender. if he is a bum at home, regardless of gender, of course you make him/her do something, but if he is driving his wife to work, taking care of the kids, etc, then why is he still looked down upon?

Login or Register before you can reply to silentwhistle
    • llwy12 replied:

Well-said! There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a stay-at-home dad…at least he is contributing to the family rather than doing nothing at all.

Since this article came from a tabloid, some of it is likely exaggerated and sensationalized, but one part that is for sure correct is the fact that Kwong Wah has health issues — specifically a problem with his legs. I remember reading an interview he did 6 or 7 years ago for a Christian magazine where he talked about his health issue and how he was scared that he might end up paralyzed because of it. I had thought that he’d gotten better, but now it looks like the issue has flared up again…..hope he gets well soon!

Best wishes to Kwong Wah, Kitman, and their family!

Login or Register before you can reply to llwy12
      • msxie replied:

He shouldn’t be ‘degraded’ by tabloids and neighbors for downsizing from a luxurious mansion in order to live within his means. Living a simple life doesn’t seem to be a virtue in HK.

Login or Register before you can reply to msxie
      • HeTieShou replied:

People in HK are so materialistic and money minded that it is really sad. I think living a simple life is great but sadly those that live in those competitive and high standard of living societies do not understand that.

@silentwhistle,
      VERY well said and I totally agree with you. It is not the old days anymore where it is the guy that has to work and women stay at home. Times are truly different. What is wrong with the women being the sole breadwinner and provider? If the men can support the women and their family financially, why can’t women do so?? In Kong Wah’s case, he has health issues too. I have an uncle that has to stay home and take care of his kids, drives them to school and his wife to work,etc.. The main reason is that he has a serious illness that does not allow him to work although he really wants to in order to help support the family. Each family and individual have different circumstances and situations so there is nothing to look down upon.

• kolo replied:

agree,nothing wrong with a man being a householdkeeper,its oldfashion thinking that only a wife can be at home.i only think its a waste for him,because his quality is being an actor.

Login or Register before you can reply to kolo
  17. Agnes Tan says:

He is a great actor, I hope he will return to acting soon. Hope he get well soon, all the best.

Login or Register before you can reply to Agnes Tan
  18. mun hon says:

hi there

1. I guess the man needs space and solace.
    2. hope that he has some rebound from the depression thing.
    3. yes, he is one fine performer.

Login or Register before you can reply to mun hon
  19. UNI says:

He was one of the best. Loved his acting growing up. He was so good as the monk in JOURNEY TO THE WEST.

Login or Register before you can reply to UNI
  20. aptos says:

Kong Wah’s swagger was his trademark for his hit series. If he was a better actor, he should have or could have adapted his gait to meet the script but if he chose not to, then that was his decision and he had to live with it. If his wife is understanding and accepting of his situation, so let it be. Only idiots like many of the media will ask asinine questions about the current financial or living situation. I would focus on more upbeat or positive questions or interviews to initiate. Gives hope and positive outlook to all concern. There are just too many negative articles on a daily basis.

Login or Register before you can reply to aptos
    • sandcherry replied:

Money is always the first and most important issue to anyone in Hong Kong, including artistes and tabloids. People there are more materialistic. Unfortunately, money and financial conditions are the most sensitive factors in any reporting …….such as “how much money is spent on a celebrity’s wedding”.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
      • HeTieShou replied:

Well said sandcherry!!Many girls in HK have the Princess Syndrome too. IT is so sad that many are so materialistic in HK. Kong Wah is lucky to have such a good and wonderful wife. She is truly a rare gem in HK and today’s world. Other greedy and gold digging wives would have left him years ago. This is a good example of how the women should also be the sole provider when needed as well. Being the breadwinner should not always have to fall on the shoulders of the men. That is so old school and traditional thinking.

21. hibabe says:

kwong wah acted well in journey to the west etc… we should not force him if he does not want to act and prefer to stay a simple and peaceful live in small village.. as long as he is happy and no depression, we should be encouraging .. kwong wah reply to reporters consider fiery style due to been expose…anyway, as long as he is living decent life…so thats more important than having much money yet suffer depression

Login or Register before you can reply to hibabe
    • HeTieShou replied:

No one is forcing him but many just hope that he can come back to acting since many really miss him. I was wondering where he was all these years. Really hope he is doing better.

• Funn Lim replied:

Maybe his wife should force him. He needs something to do, if this report is true about his fragile mind, etc. An idle person thinks way too much.

I clicked on the link and the article goes beyond just that he moved from big place to smaller place. It even showed his car being downgraded, etc. This article is not saying he is lazy, etc but rather that he no longer commands that sort of money/fame and he is now poor by celebrity standards. That I find offensive. There are celebrities who shun the limelight and live a simple live. I just hope he returns to TVB and work things out with whatever problem he has. Money is and never should be the motivator but to keep busy.

• HeTieShou replied:

IF he is well enough but is just plain lazy, then I agree that maybe his wife should motivate him to come back to work. However, none of us know for sure if he is better enough or not yet.

It also does not matter if he is poor by celebrity standards and I do not understand why you find that offensive?? Who is rich and famous all the time and can stay at the top forever? I have seen American celebs who were way richer and way more famous end up homeless, on welfare, living in their car,etc… I do not find that offensive, but I do wonder what the story behind it was. Also, when you are depressed, it is not easy to just get back to work or whatever. People that are not depressed will not understand. Maybe he is trying to work things out since some were saying that he is better but this article is just exaggerating things?? We should not believe everything we read in the tabloids. Of course none of us know the truth but I personally feel that this article is exaggerated.

• Funn Lim replied:

“It also does not matter if he is poor by celebrity standards and I do not understand why you find that offensive?? ”

I don’t find the fact that he is not great financially as offensive. I find the article’s suggestion that he is not great financially by comparing homes he lives in and cars he drives as offensive because they’re basically saying this guy has lost his fame and he has lost his money and he has gone by his sell by date.

A talent is never gone by his sell by date, it is a matter of finding someone appreciating his talent and he himself wanting and hungry enough to seek that someone to utilise his talent.

• HeTieShou replied:

Exactly, which is why I do not think we should take anything these articles say as facts that are cold cut in stone. We should take any article we read with a grain of salt. I also really really hope that he makes a comeback. I have a good feeling that he will but that’s just my gut feeling. Lets see if I am right.

• kiwi replied:

Something is wrong this guy. The things he said it’s all about him “I”. The obedient wife must have sense something. Emotional abuse here.

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
      • nomad 822 replied:

Beyond meds, I agree in part with Funn.

The drive to change the situation has to come from the person. And it helps once they gain that momentum. Even if he comes out to volunteer, that will help.

UNFORTUNATELY though, easier said than done. Esp in HK society, where people are so measured/judged by their monetary worth.

Kong-wah would be viewed with pity, (and a has-been) … which is not exactly a good thing for mental health.

Seriously, there are few that can see talent or inner qualities but can only see power/wealth instead, as keys to ‘successful’ person = possibly why Jackie Chan is so revered?!? *rolls eyes*

Even if Gong Wah had $20 million and chose to live simply, just because …. people in general would speculate that he had no money in his bank account thus his lifestyle choices.

As for his wife = she’s amazing and a strong capable woman.
        Didn’t the dude have an affair before, and she stood solidly by him too?

Login or Register before you can reply to nomad 822
  22. Gina says:

never liked his acting. overrated. seems like a male verision of a diva.

Login or Register before you can reply to Gina
    • jackiechanidiot replied:

agreed!

Login or Register before you can reply to jackiechanidiot

Read a lot of comments in here where he got no recognition from TVB. He was ATV’s no. 1 actor when he moved to TVB to become consistent lead or co lead even if in smaller productions. He was never sidetracked by TVB. His only sidetrack was poor scripts, same characters or to me, babysitting Miss HKs. He came from a time where awards were always executives’ choice. if he comes back now, no doubt he will get that recognition award wise. His best work remains in ATV where yes, the roles were meatier but less exposure. He wasn’t Ruco who was not appreciated. He was one of the few, very few ATV actors who walked into TVB and maintained his status. So to say he was treated unfairly by TVB was unfair.

24. omg says:

He doesnt look good or sound good. I think he has psychological as well as physical issues plus a loss of self esteem. That puts him at risk for depression. Never a fan but i wish him well.

Login or Register before you can reply to omg
  25. Charbydis says:

Actually, though he is not generating any stable income, Kwong Wah is not sitting at home twiddling his thumbs.

He has been doing some evangelical stuff for the church. You can see him talking about his testimony on some Christian shows on how he converts from Buddhism to Christianity, and how he injured his back in that Mainland series with Shu Qi. And he was also guests stars in some concerts as well.

I would definitely not say TVB mistreated him. He still had lead roles in most series or at worst, second lead in some very popular series. But I think the roles were not challenging enough for him and he did not get along with the press and other staff due to his attitude. The scandal with Sheren did not help either.

I do enjoy Kwong Wah’s acting though it can be over the top at times. But he is still lead material. And I would love for him to be back on TV screen.

Login or Register before you can reply to Charbydis
  26. angelababy2 says:

Chinese GLAY TEruhiko.

Login or Register before you can reply to angelababy2
    • r replied:

omg !!! not that you said it. he does!!!!! LOL

Login or Register before you can reply to r
  27. r says:

i love him in journey to the west the most. he did such a gooood job!!!!!!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to r
  28. jackiechanidiot says:

not a good actor. see this picture he looks like a insane man come out from sor lou hospital.

Login or Register before you can reply to jackiechanidiot
  29. ANGELA says:

He is a wonderful actor and its a shame he has succumb to this state due to his health. I hope he gets the treatment he requires and even though he doesnt act anymore, he should find some hobbies to pass the days and try to spend time with his good friends. He used to be the main bredwinner in the household and he did used to earn alot of money and lived in a nice house in Palm Springs, but fame and fortune is not always forever – there have been many HK actors who have “fallen” due to health and personal issues! so you cant just judge 1 person. People aren’t made of steel and he was unlucky with his injuries. Its the love and support from his wife and family that he is still even around, so people just leave him alone. He deserves his own privacy.

Login or Register before you can reply to ANGELA
  30. Little fishy says:

Was wondering where he disappear to. Like many, I grew up watching his drama and love him. He’s one of the best actor, who can deliver emotion through his eyes. Hope he come back to us, and realize that many fans are waiting for him 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to Little fishy
  31. bloom says:

Thanks for this article. I’ve always wondered what happened to Kong Wah and thought he’s working in mainland China. Sincerely hope he gets better and will act again, I love to see his show. Life sometimes are full of ups and downs, I hope this down time will be soon over.

Login or Register before you can reply to bloom
  32. milktea says:

I will always look forward to watch Kong Wah again, no matter when he choose to film again. Kong Wah is a good and veteran actor, I grown up watching his show. Hope he turn around and work again as an actor.

Login or Register before you can reply to milktea
  33. Hannah says:

Lmao. So true he was forever babysitting MHKs, especially Anne Heung. However, I reckon both make a good pair onscreen.

Anyway, I do miss Kong Wah onscreen. He’s such a versatile actor and the epitome of portraying the King.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
  34. MW says:

“Kong Wah’s passion for acting remains, but reports say that since he injured his waist and leg in 2006, he has developed signs of depression.”

Back/waist/leg/nerve injuries can be devastating, especially when the slightest move is excruciatingly painful. Glad that Kong Wah is back on his feet and walking/filming in 2009 (about 3 years after his injury in 2006). But, if he was physically able to film in 2009, I wonder why he hasn’t filmed since then, especially if his “passion for acting remains”.

Login or Register before you can reply to MW
  35. fee says:

Personally I don’t think there is anything wrong with being a house husband, but I think when exigencies of the family economy demands, maybe it’s time to contribute to your families financial needs.

Login or Register before you can reply to fee
    • HeTieShou replied:

True but that would go for the housewives too. IF the husbands do not make enough or the family has economic demands then the women would have to work and contribute as well.

• fee replied:

I completely agree. Therefore I think most housewives whom husbands are not financially stable enough to provide for the family usually take up a job to help out the financial situation as well. I think that is pretty must the gist of everyone’s complaints about Kong Wah’s situation at the moment; he himself admits that his family is not well off at the moment, yet refuses to contribute. Even though we no longer live in a time of rigid and uncompromisable stereotypical gender roles, men are still seen as being the “protectors” of women (due to them being physically stronger). Perhaps many people cannot stand to see the Kong Wah’s wife doing all the heavy lifting while Kong Wah is capable to at least give her a hand.

Login or Register before you can reply to fee
  36. Panzer says:

This is so sad, He had such potential and was always entertaining.
    I guess if he is happy with his current state than I am happy for him, but he does sound a bit miserable. It also sounds like his injury isnt that serious anymore if he is able to wash his car.
    I hope he can work through his depression and live the life he truly wants.
    It’s a shame to not use his gift for acting though. He brought such enjoyment to lots of people.
    I hope some movie quality director reads this article and casts him in a role so he can get back on his horse and remember what it is like to act again. He would make a great villain in one of Johnny To’s movies.

Login or Register before you can reply to Panzer
  37. kwongwah2 says:

he will enter 3 step video soon. i heard from wong jing that fat idiot.

Login or Register before you can reply to kwongwah2
  38. Nicole says:

I think he’s currently fine. He might have been depressed a few years back, but he’s doing evangelistic activities, and living a simpler life.
    His wife said it best, they are no longer looking for fame and wealth, unlike most of the people on this planet, and that’s why most people might not agree with his lifestyle.

Login or Register before you can reply to Nicole
  39. irene says:

I like him too and hope to see him back.

A real pity if he decide not to go back acting. In this case his fame never wane. He still has fans out there.

I don’t think he is lazy or anything like that. After all he has been working hard all these years, churning out series after series.

He mentioned there was an entire year he couldn’t even sit or stand. So I can imagine it won’t be easy to re-adjust.

Acting is a gruelling job. Long hours and person must be fit enough.

Login or Register before you can reply to irene
    • irene replied:

Anyway maybe he could consider overseas assignments like attending events?

It should be a much easier and less physically demand for him.

Login or Register before you can reply to irene
  40. LYLJ says:

I support Kong Wah..im not in his shoe, so i dono wat he has been thru; therefore i don judge him. It is his life, he can live d way he wan it plus his wife is by his side fully supporting him. He & his family know wat d best for him.

Login or Register before you can reply to LYLJ