JayneStars.com logo

Introducing the Next Cute Goddess: “Inbound Troubles” May Chan

By on January 21, 2013

Introducing the Next Cute Goddess: “Inbound Troubles” May Chan thumbnail

A cast of fresh new faces may be one of the reasons that have contributed to the early critical success of TVB’s new prime-time television drama, Inbound Troubles<老表,你好嘢!>. The drama sees the comeback of former ATV actress, Joey Meng (萬綺雯), in her first TVB drama. Disc jockey Bob and Corinna Chamberlain (陳明恩) receive their first star billing in a television drama. Inbound Troubles also marks the TVB television debuts of singer Ivana Wong (王菀之), Louis Cheung (張繼聰), and Tommy Wong (黃光亮).

As Divas in Distress <巴不得媽媽… > was the drama the propelled Eliza Sam (岑麗香) to “goddess” stardom, Inbound Troubles is the drama that contributes to the rising success of newcomer actress May Chan (陳嘉佳), better known as Siu Po (小寶).

Siu Po plays “Little Tiny,” the best friend of Wong Cho Lam’s (王祖藍) character, “Choi Sam.” At a hefty 230 pounds, the name “Little Tiny” takes a stab at irony, but with her round face and cheerful demeanor, Siu Po’s performance can definitely brighten up the television screen.

“Food Lover”

May Chan 6Siu Po was born in Shanghai. At two years old, she and her parents immigrated to Hong Kong. Siu Po expressed that she, much like her character “Little Tiny,” is a dedicated lover of food. “I love to eat too much,” said Siu Po. “I eat many meals a day and, many of these meals are foods very high in calories. I do not like wasting food, so I overeat a lot. The fat I have now is from years and years of accumulation. I used to gain ten pounds every year. An earlier report said I was 220 pounds. Right now I am 230 pounds. It is a gift from winter!”

Often, the 27-year-old felt inferior and distraught because of her obesity. “Normal men would not pick a fat girl to be his girlfriend. I get jealous when I see people dating. I’ve never dated before! I had a few crushes here and there in high school and after I graduated, but it was always just me crushing on them. I did not have the courage to confess my feelings! I knew what their answer would be, so why should I bother? My mom knew I wouldn’t be able to find anyone with the kind of body type I have, so she never bothered to talk about marriage with me.”

Faced with pressure and criticism by her weight gain, Siu Po decided to undergo a strict diet regime one summer, in which she lost up to 40 pounds, reducing her weight to 140 pounds. “I ate nothing but fruit or veggies. I also swam every day for two hours.”

However, the weight was all gained back in the following years.

When she was younger, Siu Po and her parents would move back and forth to mainland China from Hong Kong. Siu Po expressed that her mother knew she was not very good in school, so she convinced Siu Po to pick up piano when she was 11 years old. As a grade 8 piano graduate, Siu Po earned a teaching certificate, and has worked as a part-time piano teacher during college.

Recommended by Wong Cho Lam

Before joining TVB earlier last year, Siu Po worked as an office worker in the business district of Kwun Tong. Siu Po had a small role in movie, Short of Love <矮仔多情> and they remained in touch. Siu Po was recommended by Wong Cho Lam, who also took part in writing the script of Inbound Troubles, to TVB producer, Wong Wai Sing (黃偉聲). Siu Po currently has a two-year management contract with TVB.

Viewers were quick in warming up to Siu Po’s buoyantly charismatic performance in Inbound Troubles. Netizens refer to Siu Po as a “new kind of goddess.”

Siu Po laughed at her “new goddess” title. “I think I am more of a pork chop goddess!”

Reports indicated that because of Siu Po’s rising fame, Friendly Fire <法網狙擊> producer, Man Wai Hung (文偉鴻), has expressed interest in casting her for his new drama. Siu Po explained, “My schedule is booked, but [Man Wai Hung] has not contacted me. If I do film, that means I cannot go on a diet yet. After all, I do want to be a true goddess. My ideal weight is 120 pounds. I hope I can find a weight loss sponsorship program soon.”

Source: ihktv.com

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

Tags: , , ,

• Artists Win Big at 2013 TVB Anniversary Gala(56)
  • “Inbound Troubles 2” To Be Produced At End of Year(24)
  • Wong Cho Lam Portrays Villain in “Inbound Troubles 2”(6)
  • Wong Cho Lam Unites Comedy Stars in "Delete My Love"(10)
  • [TV Commentary] Gilded Chopsticks (by Funn)(52)
  • Wong Cho Lam: "I Want to Film Comedies with Substance!"(16)
  • May Chan Doesn't Mind Being a 40-Year-Old Virgin(38)
  • 16 New Dramas Introduced at 2014 TVB Sales Presentation(135)
  • 2013 Next Magazine TV Awards Results: Linda Chung Reaches #1(35)
  • [FEATURE] Ten Potential Breakout TVB Stars of 2013(63)

• Readers' Comments (24)

She is actually very very pretty and with very nice hairstyle. She is also a huge bundle of energy and cheerfulness. I like her, but acting is a bit too hyper for me but you know what, so far these djs turn actors, singers turn actors, all these not so well knowns are giving what I call very sincere performances. I don’t find them annoying at all.

2. dd says:

>220lbs
      >dieted to 140lbs
      >put it all back on

Ouch. I agree with Funn that she does have a nice face, but imagine if she was back to 140ish.

Girls, you can be comfortable about your body at any weight, but keeping healthy and in-shape, showing restraint and eating right far outweighs letting yourself go.

But I’m sure most of you know this already.

• dd says:

Case-in point: my friend is 100KG and can’t go to the toilet by herself and needed someone to wipe her down there until she lost a few pounds which allowed her the mobility to do it herself.

• Funn Lim says:

Your friend must have serious problems or is very short because 100kg is nothing to inhibit mobility.

• dd says:

She’s 160cm. I think she can’t bend over to wipe or something. Or maybe she can’t keep her balance if she bends over, I don’t know I never asked.

• Djojs says:

That is just disgusting… Being so fat you can’t even wipe your own ### after going to the toilet!

• 939393 says:

agreed. a healthy lifestyle is the way to go!

3. lili says:

when i first saw her..she looks like a chubbier version of Bernice Liu… very similar face and skin color…

4. joojaibao says:

I think she’s pretty and adorable playing this role in Inbound troubles her acting skills is pretty well Y^^Y

5. kiki says:

I actually think she is quite cute and pretty regardless of her chubbiness haha…
      she is quite funny w/that little shorty. haha lol…

6. Suzevil says:

Her acting is a little unnatural, but I guess the role calls for it. Still, it’s refreshing indeed. It’s nice to see people of different shapes, colors, sizes, etc. on the TVB screen!

7. Bubblez says:

It’s definetly nice to see different sizes and shapes on TVB. Nowadays, it tends to be the image of really slim and fit actors & actresses.

8. Applelim says:

Think there too many newbies in this series which can cloud ones opninion of them. Does this mean that we are going to see more of Ivana Wong and Louis Cheung in TVB series or is this a one off?? Too early to decide how they are doing yet!!

9. Mav says:

She seemed familar. Maybe from another character form another series/movie.

At first, I thought she was Joey Yung in disguise lol.

10. snoopy says:

She has such great skin! Her face is so smooth with no pimples or spots. Very jealous…haha.. ^_^
      Anyway, as long as she is happy the way she is, why care about what everyone say or thinks? You can be skinny but miserable… can’t eat this, can’t eat that… no enjoyment in life. But I do agree that you should eat a balance diet. Have a bit of chips but also eat some veges.

11. Jessica says:

TVB’s very own Rebel Wilson.

12. J says:

She has an adorable face. However… health is most important. You don’t/shouldn’t have to be hk girl skinny, but @ a healthy body fat%. 40 lbs in one summer is way too fast and not sustainable… low and steady wins the race.

13. Mlove says:

Awww she have never been on a date. That’s so sad. Ask Myolie Wu how to lose weight. She did a pretty good job losing all those weight after that tv series. She will find love soon.

• Nicole says:

Looking at Myolie’s MHK days, she’s quite skinny type, so it may be quite easy for her to lose weight.
        I think may Chan will benefit more learning from Joyce Cheng. :D

14. Larry 3 says:

I like her, she almost suffocated Wong Cho Lam with the hug in the first episode.

15. Pyro says:

I also feel like I’ve seen her in an older film or series before but considering she’s new it’s not possible

16. hannahh says:

she’s so cute! i think she will look really pretty if she is skinny!

Readers are no longer able to comment on this old article.

• JayneStars News Subscription