JayneStars.com logo

Natalie Tong: TVB’s Most Prolific Actress?

By on September 18, 2012

Natalie Tong: TVB’s Most Prolific Actress? thumbnail

Natalie Tong (唐詩詠) has been featured in numerous TVB series this year. She has already starred in many hit series including, The Life and Times of a Sentinel <紫禁驚雷>,  Gloves Come Off <拳王>, No Good Either Way <衝呀!瘦薪兵團>, and King Maker <造王者>. Natalie’s upcoming dramas include The Confidant <大太監> and Detective L.B. Gao <神探高倫布 >, which will premiere by year-end. It is safe to say that Natalie is on the fast track to becoming one of TVB’s top fadans.

In 2010, Natalie received praise for her acting in A Fistful of Stances <鐵馬尋橋> and won the Most Improved Actress award at the TVB Anniversary Awards. Her memorable acceptance speech was moving and touching when she tearfully thanked her late mother. Audiences started to pay more attention to Natalie in the following year; she was also nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her portrayal of a lawyer in The Other Truth <真相>.

After receiving the award, Natalie said, “After I got the award, I became more mature, in both aspects related to the way I think and the way I act. I am more open to portraying different types of characters, including a bad person, a meek person, and even a cop. I’m thankful the audience accepts me!”

When asked if she hopes to become a fadan soon, she said, “Becoming a fadan is not in my control. I think it’s important for the producers and directors to see how I’ve progressed as an actress and give me more chances, and the opportunity will come naturally. I’ve never taken any acting classes, so I can only rely on my own experiences and veteran actors who have helped me along the way.”

Natalie especially credits Kent Cheng (鄭則士), Wayne Lai (黎耀祥), Power Chan (陳國邦) and Kristal Tin (田蕊妮) for teaching and advising her throughout the filming of King Maker and No Good Either Way. “They both helped me by giving me tips during filming. When I have off time with Wayne, I take the opportunity to ask him more about acting. He is extremely patient when explaining it to me. And Kent is extremely professional.  Even though we didn’t have to film scenes together, he would stand by to observe my acting and then give me invaluable tips! He will wholeheartedly help you which is extremely useful for someone who lacks acting experience.” She continues, “Power is like my teacher and taught me that in order to portray my character, I must first think like her and get in that mindset. That way the acting will be more natural. Kristal also taught me how to relax myself to film in comedies.”

It has certainly been a busy year for Natalie, but she does not consider it to be tiring. “When you enjoy what you do, it’s not tiring at all, especially when you see the end-product and what you’ve accomplished. I love acting more and more and hope to earn enough money to buy my dream house which faces the ocean.”

Source: ihktv.com

This article is written by Natalie for JayneStars.com.

Tags: , , ,

• 16 New Dramas Introduced at 2014 TVB Sales Presentation(135)
  • Review: "The Confidant" (By Miriamfanz)(21)
  • Review: "King Maker" (By Funn)(30)
  • Review: "King Maker" (By Miriamfanz)(30)
  • "King Maker" Spoilers Revealed for Second Week of Broadcast(3)
  • [Review] "Rear Mirror" (By Funn)(64)
  • Kent Tong, Myolie Wu, and Kenneth Ma Join "The Hero" Cast(52)
  • Review: "Will Power" (By Funn)(35)
  • Review: "Will Power" (By Miriamfanz)(47)
  • Edwin Siu and Raymond Cho Portray Homosexual Couple in “The Five Eunuchs”(22)

• Readers' Comments (28)

Good question. Most prolific? No. Most promoted? Not quite. But is more promoted by her willingness to play secondary role to many male dominated series.

Don’t remind me of her performance in A Fistful Of Stances.

2. bee7 says:

I think her acting is mediocre at best. I find her annoying most of the time, maybe except in Tiger Cubs.

3. Nicole says:

I like Natalie, but she overacts a lot.

4. elin says:

dont fnd her tht memorable

5. purplepaw says:

her acting fluctuates a lot. she can be fantastic in one drama, and then terrible in the other…still room for improvement, but then again you don’t really need to know how to act to become a fadan in tvb lol

• Samantha says:

i some wat agree with ya!! now a days as long as u hav relations/pretty/handsome…u can become a fadan..but yes fantastic in one series and room for improvement in another for Natalie..

6. happybi says:

She’s not bad.. especially compare to the newbies in TVB. I like her in No good either way.

7. Gar says:

She’s alright, her acting is nothing to get all excited about.

8. anonymous says:

I don’t like Natalie Tong as an actress. She is very annoying in King Maker.

9. sandcherry says:

Natalie Tong has improved quite a bit in her acting in the last two years. At least she got rid (or almost got rid) of her lazy intonations and managed to speak better with her high-pitched voice.

In terms of her current acting, it is not very stable, good in one drama series and not so good in another one. She needs to work harder on her acting if she wants to move up to be one of the top fadans.

I think she looks prettier now, not sure if she has done any minor plastic surgery lately. Her nose is prettier and smaller.

Since TVB is lack of new fadans, I think Natalie has a good chance to be one. She is a lot luckier than the other support actresses, such as Nancy Wu and Elaine Yiu. Nancy Wu and Elaine Yiu are better in their acting skills, but not as pretty and lucky as Natalie Tong.

• Magic says:

I actually think that Natalie is better than Elaine but of course, Nancy trumps them all. C:

• sandcherry says:

Personally I like Elaine Yiu’s acting better. She is very articulate in her dialogues, and is getting better and better in her acting. She is pretty good in doing ancient drama series vs. Natalie Tong.

Of course, Nancy Wu is still the best among these 3 actresses.

10. XOXO says:

Oh please. Natalie cannot act. She reads her lines as if it were a speech; word by word. Doesn’t know how to emote and is just mediocre overall.

11. star says:

I thought she was the best in “The Seventh Day” Maybe cuz that was the first series I’ve watch of her..or maybe those kind of roles just suits her. Every other series I watched of her though, her acting is just mediocre. I cringe when she’s in ancient dramas

12. AC says:

“Most prolific” sounds too strong to define her.

I like Natalie and prefer to see her in modern series more than ancient ones.

13. RLF Lover says:

I have noticed her since Hearts of Fencing and through the years you can definitely see her acting improve. Although I don’t think she can portray evil characters well (not due to acting tho), I think she’s worked very hard to achieve what she has today and fadan status is well within her grasps.

14. TN1 says:

Nah,her roles are always so annoying don’t like her!

15. Kidd says:

“In 2010, Natalie received praise for her acting in A Fistful of Stances and won the Most Improved Actress award at the TVB Anniversary Awards.

Her acting is kinda bad in AFOS.

16. Anon says:

I think she was good only in 7th Day.

17. Grace says:

She’s ok… she still needs a good role/character. If TVB wants to promote her, they need to give her better roles.

18. sure-lee says:

I met her in real life like a couple weeks back, and she is sooo nice. She is also a lot prettier too! She was really sweet and kind :)

19. sandcherry says:

We have no doubt on her personality. We only have doubts on her acting …… not very stable. I think she looks prettier and acts better in modern drama series.

20. sandcherry says:

Natalie Tong is the 1st lead actress in “Detective Columbo” – 神探哥倫布 , pairing up with Wayne Lai. She is playing two different roles. We should be able to find out more about her acting in this new drama series. She was cast by Producer Lee Tim Sing.

Readers are no longer able to comment on this old article.

• Job Opening

JayneStars.com is now hiring an entertainment news writer.

Work from home in our paid part-time position. CLICK HERE for details on how to apply!

• JayneStars News Subscription