“The Hippocratic Crush 2” To Be Better Than Its First?

By on October 28, 2013 in Hot Gossip!, TV Dramas

Highly anticipated anniversary series, The Hippocratic Crush 2 <On Call 36小時II>, is airing on November 4. Continuing the storyline of the popular first installment, the sequel features the same main cast with the addition of Lawrence Ng (吳啟華). Viewers’ favorite couple, Kenneth Ma (馬國明) and Tavia Yeung (楊怡), will spark greater romantic chemistry as a married couple. Filmed at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, the series will showcase realistic settings with professional medical devices. According to the cast, the sequel consists of more outstanding components than its first installment, hoping to garner high viewership ratings.

Lawrence, who is most memorable for his role as Dr. Paul Ching from the Healing Hands <妙手仁心> installments, expressed excitement in portraying a doctor once again. In The Hippocratic Crush 2, he plays pathology specialist Dr. Lok Man Sang. Although Lawrence’s doctor characters seem very similar, they come from completely different backgrounds. Dr. Lok had a tragic life due to the loss of family members, and suffers from autism. Lawrence emphasized he did not allow the characteristics of Dr. Ching to creep into Dr. Lok, and had approached his new role from a whole other perspective.

On the other hand, Fan Tze Yu (Tavia Yeung) and Cheung Yat Kin (Kenneth Ma) share many emotional scenes. Unfortunately, Tze Yu’s intramedullary spinal cord tumor begins to affect her career, making her incapable of performing surgeries on patients. Dr. Lok helps her regain strength and Tze Yu soon learns she can help her patients in other ways. She gives up her position as a cardiothoracic surgeon and switches to the field of pathology. Yat Kin disapproves of this decision and starts a quarrel with Dr. Lok. Tze Yu also becomes pregnant, and the struggle between keeping the baby or not stresses the difference in opinions of the married couple. The pressure Yat Kin faces from all aspects of his life mounts into depression, but Tze Yu consoles him and tries to help him see through.

Although Lawrence and Kenneth resemble rivals onscreen, they are actually very good friends. “Kenneth is very professional. He has his script memorized every time we start filming. I was so happy working with him,” Lawrence expressed. He hopes their different acting styles will make the drama more enjoyable for the audience.

As for the drama’s popular couple, Kenneth commented on his collaboration with Tavia. “She is a very good partner. Every time I work with her, we spark greater chemistry. I feel very comfortable when we film together, and hopefully there are more chances in the future.”

Source: TVB Weekly #853 via ihktv.com

This article is written by Shirley for JayneStars.com.

39 comments to “The Hippocratic Crush 2” To Be Better Than Its First?

1. crystal says:

I’m very excited for this and hope it doesn’t disappoint. Because I know that some sequels do… Beauty at war

Login or Register before you can reply to crystal
    • Clementine replied:

TOUCH WOOD it does not become a ‘Beauty At War’… but i’ve learnt to not have any expectations or high hopes on sequels. Chances of being disappointed is high if there is expectations. I’m just greatly anticipating to see Kenneth and Tavia’s characters back on screen again. The rest I’ll just take it as it comes.

Login or Register before you can reply to Clementine
  2. Hannahh says:

WOW let hope so to be better than the 1st one.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannahh

Saw the trailer. I like the continuity but I think all of us, bar any spoilers, will have many days discussing who will die and who will live.

4. Teecee says:

I really hope this won’t another continuation of disappointing sequels this year, I’m still not too fond with the addition of lots of new characters and love triangles…I just wish they would make it more simple. Either way I’m looking forward to this and the development from the supporting cast.

Login or Register before you can reply to Teecee
  5. Melher says:

I think the sequel will be good as long as Eliza doesn’t get a lot of screen time. Otherwise it’s like ghetto justice 2 with Christine and I will be sad

Login or Register before you can reply to Melher
    • 5fadans replied:

i don’t think Eliza will hv a lot of screen time.

My worry is about the new actress who is paired with Lawrence Ng. She is the second leading actress after Tavia, and Many Wong is probably pushed back to an supporting role.

I don’t want this happens like Rebecca Zhu in Silver Spoon Sterling Shackles

Login or Register before you can reply to 5fadans
      • Clementine replied:

This is Tracy’s first series, can’t expect her do please and do greatly imo. Dont know why TBB hasnt learnt from the previous criticisms of newcomers performances as they are thrown into the spotlight in taking on heavy roles. At least give them some training before giving them any role.

Login or Register before you can reply to Clementine
      • kolo replied:

the best training is immediately trown them into the deep,critism is good as long as its have a contructive purpose.i dont mind to see some new face,because its boring to see the same face again and again,i mean the top5 fadan and siu san of tvb.

Login or Register before you can reply to kolo
  6. pssst says:

The trailer already put me to sleep. Sequels are mostly never better than the originalnand i already dont like the original.

Login or Register before you can reply to pssst
  7. miriamfanz says:

Highly doubt TVB is capable of putting out even an equally good sequel, let alone a better one

Login or Register before you can reply to miriamfanz
    • Clementine replied:

The only time TVB managed to produce an even better ‘sequel’ was Moonlight Resonance. Although it wasn’t a direct sequel, I thought the storyline, characters etc. was even better than Heart Of Greed which was good as well.

Login or Register before you can reply to Clementine
    • Cm replied:

No Regrets aka Rosy Business II was also one of the few sequels that could stand on its own merits in recent times. It boils down to the script really. Still not sure that tvb understands this

Login or Register before you can reply to Cm
  8. a-pop says:

All the main characters gain illness either in physical n mental.Why need to be so depressed. Make them so helpless. Nonetheless , cant wait to watch tis.

Login or Register before you can reply to a-pop
    • Clementine replied:

Well that’s how tbb makes its dramas LOL! With dramas, comes the emotions. I’m sure they wont make the audiences feel depressed from start to finished though…I hope.

Login or Register before you can reply to Clementine
  9. m0m0 says:

well, the first one really sucked, it’s quite hard to not surpass it.

Login or Register before you can reply to m0m0
    • pssst replied:

lol 🙂 good one.

Login or Register before you can reply to pssst
  10. anonymous says:

Honestly, the first one was an okay watch. Nothing special about it. I didn’t understand the hype for it in the first place and now TVB is making the second installment. The synopsis for this sounds kind of boring, nothing interesting. I prefer the Healing Hands Trilogy more. The HH Trilogy had way more A-listed actors and actresses, and no doubt the acting delivered by each actor and actress were excellent. That’s what I call a grand production.

Login or Register before you can reply to anonymous
    • Primrose replied:

Me too! I didn’t find the first one good. Felt the plot was boring. Indeed HC1 pales in comparison to Healing Hands. And I particularly hated the part when Kenneth Mah hijacked his friends’ wedding to profess his love for Tavia. Seriously?!?! on your friends’ BIG day, you turned it into your own?!?

Login or Register before you can reply to Primrose
      • Shrimpboat replied:

Yes! that was extremely ridiculous and plain rude.

Login or Register before you can reply to Shrimpboat
  11. Alana says:

Totally off topic – i cannot watch Brothers Keeper anymore.
    I am so annoyed

Login or Register before you can reply to Alana
    • Godon replied:

Yeah. It started out pretty good, but looking at how it progress, I can definitely see why Linda Chung remains mediocre and why she doesn’t deserve TV queen. She didn’t do ANYTHING in there….and not to mention the brother’s are really starting to piss me off.

Login or Register before you can reply to Godon
      • kit-kat replied:

nooooooooooooo, it’s miles better than that love-drama/romance-in-the-skies/gratuitous bedroom scenes drama aka TITS2.

Login or Register before you can reply to kit-kat
  12. claire says:

It’s rare case when sequel is better than original/predecessor, much depends on script-writer creativity how they write continuity and composed storyline. Looks like THC II consists of more ensemble cast than the first one. Lawrence Ng-Tracy Chu, Kenneth-Tavia, Him-Eliza, Benjamin-Mandy. Let’s see how the outcome, TITS II, Beauty At War failed to fullfil expectation. DIF IV is the best than DIF I, II, III.

Login or Register before you can reply to claire
    • Godon replied:

Agree with you fully. Let’s see how this turns out.

Login or Register before you can reply to Godon
    • Teecee replied:

I wouldn’t consider DIF 4 a sequel since it’s not a continuation of the previous installment and nor are there the same characters so therefore DIF 4 is a stand alone series kind of like with Rosy Business and No Regrets, they’re not considered sequels. DIF 3 was the best one in my opinion, sequels are either decent or it’s not at all.

Login or Register before you can reply to Teecee
      • BearBear replied:

Tought DIF 1 & 2 are the best.
        Yes, DIF 4 cannot be considered as a sequel, there’s no continuity, other than its genre. Didn’t think much of DIF 4, the cases are not that fantastic but I watched it a few times just for Louis-Jessica.
        Don’t recall any sequels surpassing the original but several (all being older TVB productions) are just as good.

I wish Louisa is paired with Lawrence rather than newcomer Tracy who has graduated from beauty pageant, not acting class. How many of these Miss HKs and runners-up gave a decent performance in their first drama? Maybe Tracy is good in hers but I remain skeptical.

Login or Register before you can reply to BearBear
    • VCN replied:

I actually enjoyed “Triumph in the Skies 2” for its philosophical content. It was very refreshing in comparison to all of the run of the mill action driven dramas.

Login or Register before you can reply to VCN
      • Funn Lim replied:

Let’s put in perspective; for the length of everyone in TITS 2 to cry over lost love and what nots, Hanzawa Naoki would have recovered back all the bad debts of the bank and with time to spare. TITS 2 is too long winded for its own good.

• VCN replied:

@ Funn Lim: I tend to be more interested in meaningful and thought-provoking dramas like “When Heaven Burns” and this one. It’s too bad people don’t understand enough philosophy to see the main theme behind the sappy love stories. The entire series, especially the Sam-Holiday-Jayden love triangle, is based on the philosophy of Alain Badiou’s In Praise of Love.

Login or Register before you can reply to VCN
  13. Shrimpboat says:

I’m just happy they didn’t use a “third person” story-line for Kenneth and Tavia. Need to keep my expectations low…

Login or Register before you can reply to Shrimpboat
  14. GL says:

I don’t understand why TVB always feels the need to reveal so much detail about the script, whether it’s before the airing, during the airing or towards the finale. Knowing so much beforehand really defeats the purpose of actually watching the series. It just kills any suspense or curiosity people may have about the plot or outcome of the characters. The first installment of Hippocratic crush was mediocre at best but compared to the series produced in recent years, that’s the probably the only reason why it has received so many acclaims. Just my two cents.

Login or Register before you can reply to GL
    • kolo replied:

you got some point here,but i think it is just also a strategy to make ppl more curious to watch,it just depends on one’s preference to know more or not. to me,if i dont want know more i can always skip it if they reveals the plot on tv.

Login or Register before you can reply to kolo
  15. Pauline says:

Looking forward

Login or Register before you can reply to Pauline
  16. Godon says:

Oh man it better be! PLEASE save us from the damn disappointment of Beauty and whatever war and TITS2 !!! Excited for this, please don’t disappoint.

Login or Register before you can reply to Godon
  17. Rofl says:

not really looking forward to the plan of adding new characters ther’re spoiling the show

Login or Register before you can reply to Rofl
  18. ebbie says:

I think this would be better as the cast is stronger with Lawrence- I’m sure many fans are hoping to see him.
    Besides I thought the first one wasn’t that good anyway!

Login or Register before you can reply to ebbie
  19. Dave says:

I can’t wait to watch this series due to actress Louisa So is in it and hope the script will be good. Her acting is good but lots of people underestimated her somehow.

Login or Register before you can reply to Dave