Eddie Peng Trains Intensely for Wong Fei Hung Role

By on August 21, 2013 in Movies

Rise of the Legend <黃飛鴻之英雄有夢> is the latest film adaptation of martial arts hero Wong Fei Hung’s life. Produced by Edko Films, Irresistible Delta, and BDI Films, the movie has a budget of 130 million RMB and promises thrilling kung fu scenes. The production crew kept all details secret, including Eddie Peng’s (彭於晏) role as Wong Fei Hung, until the official blessing yesterday. Angelababy will be the female lead in the movie.

Eddie already shaved his head for the role. Training under a martial arts master to learn the southern fist fighting style for some time, Eddie practiced ten hours a day and often soaked through several shirts in the 40-degree Celsius weather. “I’m actually very interested in martial arts. My martial arts master always compliments me and said I have the long limbs necessary for learning.”

Wong Fei Hung has been most notably played by Jet Li (李連杰), Vincent Zhao (趙文卓), and Jackie Chan (成龍) in past films. Landing such a heavy role, Eddie has big footsteps to fill and realized that “playing Wong Fei Hung requires fighting and not talking.” He added, “Each time there is a new version out, people will compare it with the older versions. I have been watching Wong Fei Hung films since I was a kid, and remember each fighting sequence.”

Director Roy Chow (周顯揚) firmly believes that Eddie is well-suited to portray Wong Fei Hung, “Currently, Eddie is the most suitable Chinese actor to play this role.”

Eddie revealed that he had lost sleep for several nights when he found out he was selected to play Wong Fei Hung. “Obviously, I would be slightly nervous. Every time I went to sleep, I would dream of Jet Li because his version of Wong Fei Hung was legendary. However, I never thought of wanting to surpass anyone, I just want to be myself.” Eddie will try his best and he will gladly accept the challenges that will come his way, believing that this version of Wong Fei Hung will be just as fantastic as the others.

Angelababy added, “To be able to work with such a wonderful director and actors is truly an honor. I’m also hoping that my performance in this version of Wong Fei Hung will become a classic!”

Sammo Hung (洪金寶), Wong Cho Lam (王祖藍), Max Zhang (張晉), Boran Jing (井柏然), and Feng Jia Yi (馮嘉怡) will also star in Rise of the Legend.

Source: Sina.com

This article is written by Su for JayneStars.com.

22 comments to Eddie Peng Trains Intensely for Wong Fei Hung Role

1. GD says:

I don’t dislike Angelababy but she kind of “cheapens” the classic, being an ex leng mo and all. Although I do see little facial resemblance to Rosamund Kwan’s 13th Aunt.

Login or Register before you can reply to GD
    • TVBFanatic replied:

I don’t think it’s her herself that cheapens it… just her name.

I’ve said on this site previously, that it’s high time she shed the “Angelababy” name and go with her real name if she truly wants to break into movies. I personally feel that “Angelababy” will hold her back as everyone will relate to that to her “leng mo” days…

Login or Register before you can reply to TVBFanatic
      • windy replied:

Hahaa.. I know, what a crappy name indeed. Angelababy, WTH will name themselves like that? Whoever can take her seriously must be nuts too.
        Like media losers Kanye West n KK’s baby, NORTH WEST??? Stupidity is too good of a word for them.

Login or Register before you can reply to windy
    • yuaida replied:

I wonder how many directors or producers she had to sleep with to get this role………..

Login or Register before you can reply to yuaida
  2. Charbydis says:

Not Angelababy again! She is everywhere!

I do admit I felt a bit disappointed when I heard about Eddie taking the WFH role cos of his baby face and modern looks, but then again, he has a great (x10) body.

I was actually expecting a young martial arts actor like Andy On for the WFH role but oh well, I’ll see what the storyline and trailer looks like before I decide to watch it or not.

Login or Register before you can reply to Charbydis
    • sehseh replied:

But Andy On is a stiff actor…

I’d like Eddie as WFH though, not just because I’m a fan but I do think it will be a refreshing take on a handsome and witty WFH as well.

Login or Register before you can reply to sehseh
  3. sel_fi_wu says:

not angelababy again! she’s so overpromoted and everywhere and her acting isn’t even that good after appearing in so many movies! only selling her fake plastic pretty face

don’t know much about eddie peng but although he doesn’t seem perfect for wong fei hung from his kungfu his muscular body muscles will make up for it and as always there will always be stuntman so don’t mind about this.

Login or Register before you can reply to sel_fi_wu
  4. Ita says:

Don’t see Eddie Peng as WFH. Why they didn’t cast Dennis To from Ipman? He has the look and martial background as WFH. As for 13th Aunt, Lynn Xiong will be better cast.

With those two above, the movie is more like idol version of WFH.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ita
    • Puff replied:

Yes Lynn Xiong is a better option

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff
  5. I think what I’m saying is a little biased because I have a soft spot for Eddie but he is one heck of an actor, the only reason why people don’t take him so seriously is because of his baby face and previous kidish roles but if you look at some of his previous works like Jump! Ashin and Unbeatable, the guy has chops for the job. I’m glad that his career is escalating and I will only expect bigger and greater things from him. Now as for Angelababy… just drop the baby part and stop with the plastic surgery and I’ll take her more seriously.

Login or Register before you can reply to adramafilledworld
  6. comon! says:

why don’t they get a real actress instead? anyone can get plastic surgery to look pretty, where’s the talent?? angelawhatsherface can’t act. what a sham of a casting choice. why don’t they give chances to low key ppl instead? always too focused on looks. thats why this film will be another flop.

Login or Register before you can reply to comon!
  7. comon! says:

she really shouldn’t have made it this far in the industry, which shows its declining standards as well.

Login or Register before you can reply to comon!
  8. Lol says:

Really?! Angelababy as the female lead? Other than being successfully crafted under the knife she can’t act or sing to save her life. I was looking forward to Eddie in this movie but Angelababy just have to ruin it.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lol
  9. Kidd says:

Poor Eddie Peng and Angelababy. They can never get acknowledgement for their acting no matter how good they are just because one used to be an idol drama actor and the other got her pretty face from surgery.

I think Eddie Peng can act. He was really good in ‘Love You You’. Angelababy is also a decent actress from I what see in several of her movies.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
    • comon! replied:

in videos, no real human expression is shown because she fixed her face up so much, it is stiff and weird when she tries to smile. her expressions are like that of a mannequin. i think “decent” is really stretching it but that is ur opinion, i am just in shock anyone thinks she can act.

ill give eddie some credit for his charisma but angelababy, its just wrong to even call her an artist/actress. she doesn’t act, she just poses.

Login or Register before you can reply to comon!
      • HeTieShou replied:

Now that you mention it, I notice how Angelababy’s face is so stiff and her expressions are not human like… I guess it is because her face is completely reconstructed so she can’t smile like a normal natural person.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    • HeTieShou replied:

Eddie is a great actor and I really love him but can’t really picture him as Wong Fei Hung. But he may surprise us all. About Angelababy, I have not seen her act yet so can’t comment. The only thing that I hear about her is her PS face. That is pretty much it…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  10. Canto says:

I am partial to Angelababy although as you can see from her recent popularity in being cast by directors, the entertainment industry directors doesn’t seem to mind plastic surgery.

I also read in my country’s news recently that soon as much as 8 out of 10 young women in their twenties that you meet would have undergone some kind of cosmetic procedures e.g. botox, fillers, plastic surgery.

Looks like plastic surgery is here to stay and grow in popularity.

Although I can understand why everyone would like to look prettier… I kinda feel that it devalues natural beauty. Now it doesn’t matter if you were born with some natural beauty because the artifically created beauty will always be more beautiful and dramatic than your natural beauty.

Login or Register before you can reply to Canto
  11. Nat says:

Plastic surgery is FINE…. As long as you’re talented. But she is NOT, and I think that’s the cause of the commotion.

Login or Register before you can reply to Nat
  12. peachy says:

I actually think Shi Xiao Long, who played the young Wang Fei Hong back in 2002, would be excellent for this movie as he’s known to be a long time kung fu student and he’s got the sharp, focused face to match. Although I don’t mind Eddie, I’m sure he’ll put in his 110% into this role and I can’t wait to see all his hard work pay off. As for Angelababy…I’m going to try my best to bear with her role.

Login or Register before you can reply to peachy
    • HeTieShou replied:

I agree but then again, Shi Xiao Long has already played this role so maybe he wants to try out new things??Shi Xiao Long knows real martial arts so is of course a good fit for the role which was why he played it before. I have a good feeling that Eddie will be fine, but Angelababy.. I don’t have much confidence in her.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  13. Terminator says:

Well, like her or not, Angelababy currently is the only marketable film actress from HK. It seems the director wants to keep this to be a HK-China joint venture so he had no choice but make this casting decision since the male lead already goes to a Taiwanese actor.

Login or Register before you can reply to Terminator