Kong Wah Considers TV Comeback

By on November 29, 2012 in NEWS

Fifty-year-old actor, Kong Wah (江華) began his acting career in 1986 with ATV. Moving later to TVB, Kong Wah  became known for his excellent portrayal of emperors in many popular TVB historical dramas. Kong Wah is also remembered for his stage imitations of Andy Lau (劉德華), who jokingly praised Kong Wah as someone who does Andy Lau better than Andy himself! With Kong Wah’s incredible charisma and brilliant acting, he has been deeply missed by audiences since his 8-year acting hiatus.

A Long Break

Since filming 2004’s The Conqueror’s Story <楚漢驕雄>, Kong Wah has entered semi-retirement. He left TVB because he was disappointed with the company producing the type of series one after another. Growing tired of playing roles with no substance, Kong Wah decided to take a break from his TV career.

Since then, Kong Wah and his wife, Mak Kit Man  (麥潔文), whom he married in 1992, have been living a quiet life away from the limelight. Converted to Christianity with his wife, Kong Wah has acquired a greater inner calmness and ability to let go of things easier. Kong Wah revealed, “We don’t watch TV as we don’t even have a TV at home.”

For the past few years, Kong Wah’s involvement in the entertainment industry has been limited to performing with his singer wife in occasional concerts. The couple is still very loving and enjoys spending time together. Kong Wah said, “The tours are a great way to earn money and take our honeymoon the same time. Talk about killing two birds with one stone!”

Back in the Game

At a concert, veteran singer Sandra Lang (仙杜拉) told Kong Wah, “You are so selfish to hide yourself away. God gave you such a great talent, so you should not waste it!” He was touched by her comment, which stirred his desire to make a comeback in the TV industry.

Kong Wah has a different perspective about his TV career now. He said, “I am acting because I love it.”  Kong Wah said he is open to work for any TV station as long as the script is well written and the cast is easy to work with.

Advice to ATV

Last week, Kong Wah, Nathan Chan (陳庭威), Pat Poon (潘志文), and Gilbert Lam (林韋辰) dubbed as “ATV’s Big Four” appeared as guests at the 55th ATV Anniversary Gala in Shenzhen. It was reported that Kong Wah’s singing segment was the only highlight of the long and laborious show.

Despite ATV’s recent ratings decline, Kong Wah feels that the station has a chance to survive. Instead of importing dramas, ATV should make it their number one priority to produce good quality TV series in order to earn back their popularity and respect.

As he has been in the TV industry for many years, Kong Wah understands that a TV company’s ultimate goal is to make money while having a limited budget for producing TV series. He remembers while filming the TVB historical drama The Conqueror’s Story in 2004, producer Lee Tim Shing (李添勝) had to cut costs when filming a war scene that was supposed to involve thousands of soldiers and horses battling. However, the end result just showed Kong Wah fighting Adam Cheng (鄭少秋).

After being absent for eight years, Kong Wah still has many loyal fans who has not forgotten his memorable TV performances, including his role in The King of Yesterday and Tomorrow <九五至尊>. Many fans still discuss his TV dramas and look forward to his return. Kong Wah is very happy that he has not been forgotten. “I am very sorry to the audience,” Kong Wah apologized and said that he hopes the audience can see him on TV very soon.

Source: Face Magazine #288 via ihktv.com

This article is written by Lance for JayneStars.com.

86 comments to Kong Wah Considers TV Comeback

1. Little fishy says:

Ooh, I miss him, hope he come back soon ^^

Login or Register before you can reply to Little fishy
    • che replied:

same here, i love him acting especially as a king. he gives of a very grand kingly feel

Login or Register before you can reply to che
  2. jayne says:

When Kong Wah complained that he was given the same type of roles at TVB, was he referring to emperor roles? That he grew bored of playing an emperor because he can do it in his sleep?

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
    • 939393 replied:

yeap

Login or Register before you can reply to 939393
    • Funn Lim replied:

Maybe he meant dramatic roles? Longing for a good comedy?

• TVBfadan replied:

Well, when something becomes too easy for a person, of course a person would seek to do other things. His pros are his greatest, but at the same time his pros are his cons because he’s stuck doing the same thing. It’s like looking at Lawrence Ng. He portrays a doctor so good that we only look at him as a doctor.

Login or Register before you can reply to TVBfadan
      • Hannah replied:

So darn right! TVB tend to typecast their artists.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
    • pandamao replied:

Have to say, without him Conqueror’s Story would have been a bored. He’s such a great actor…. and truly talented too.

Login or Register before you can reply to pandamao
    • Eunice replied:

But you have to agree that he acts very well as emperors! He looks like one too! He’s probably the best actor in TVB series for emperors IMO 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to Eunice
      • samantha replied:

Yes that is so true 🙂 he’s a very handsome emperor. no one else can do better 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to samantha
  3. Joyce says:

Missed him. Lovees his acting. Can’t wait for his comeback

Login or Register before you can reply to Joyce
    • lol replied:

if he comes back to tvb im guess he will mainly get second leading roles cos we all know how tvb treat people that can act and have left the station

Login or Register before you can reply to lol
      • Funn Lim replied:

Doubt it. He will come back as honoured guest much like Esther Kwan

4. Pinky says:

YES!! AND PLEASE BRING ANNE HENG BACK AS WELL!!
    I always loved him and Anne Heng Chemistry together in a lot of dramas!

Login or Register before you can reply to Pinky

50? Wow!! Still looks ok. Still too thin.

I hope he comes back. TVB is in need of actors around that age. And I hope he considers coming back to TVB and not the disastrous ATV.

And who is he to complain his roles got no substance! His roles are usually the meatiest!!

Kong Wah, come back!!! COME BACK!!!!

• Funn Lim replied:

Is he losing his hair?

• Ita replied:

I was just searching about him couple days ago. I thought he said he won’t be back to filming drama?.. Don’t think he aged that well. Watch the video n YouTube he look quite old for 50 compare with hot ajusshi Michael miu haha.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ita
      • advo replied:

He’s a better actor than MM though 😉

Login or Register before you can reply to advo
      • Funn Lim replied:

If he gains a few pounds he will look good. He is just too thin.

• lychii04 replied:

Yeah he’s had a lot of versatile roles! I think though, he was never leading too often? Or had to share the spotlight? Like JTTW, Dicky was the monkey. Seven Sisters, Gallen. Step Into the Past, Louis. …. But then again, he’s lead a lot too…. Hmm… I think its just TVB politics honestly. He didn’t seem overly promoted or favoured.

Login or Register before you can reply to lychii04
  6. KD says:

Super excited! I love watching his movies. Cannot wait for him to come back to film more for TVB!!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to KD
  7. vann says:

I hope to see him soon on TV. He is great.

Login or Register before you can reply to vann
  8. happybi says:

Miss him for sure as he’s such a good actor!!! Looking forward to his return for sure!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to happybi
  9. smurf120 says:

I love Kong Wah but I agree with him – he shouldn’t just come back to tv with just any role. I did quick review of all the TVB shows this year – I don’t think any would be appropriately “meaty”.

Login or Register before you can reply to smurf120
  10. TVBfadan says:

COME BACK. lol. He’s a great actor, and seeing him in TVB again would be great.

Login or Register before you can reply to TVBfadan
  11. Jax says:

please come back!!I missed you in Journey to the West!:)

Login or Register before you can reply to Jax
    • Linnh replied:

me too…

Login or Register before you can reply to Linnh
    • KD replied:

100% agree. He was great actor in that movie and so was Wayne, Evergreen, and the one played Monkey – I forgot his name.

Login or Register before you can reply to KD
      • Hannah replied:

Dicky Cheung first part. Benny Chan sequel.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
      • Eunice replied:

LOL how could you not remember the monkey, but remember the pig and monk? 😛 Well, in part 1, it was Dicky Cheung, part 2 was Benny Chan.

Login or Register before you can reply to Eunice
  12. vjcharmed says:

awesome that he is coming back my family and i are loyal fans. he is such a great actor whom you can see is very serious.

Login or Register before you can reply to vjcharmed
  13. miriamfanz says:

The Conqueror’s Story remains on my all-time fav list. Kong Wah is great as historical heroes.

Login or Register before you can reply to miriamfanz
    • Joanne replied:

Mine are Lady Flower Fist, Happy Ever After and Seven Sisters 🙂 He’s great in comedy too!

Login or Register before you can reply to Joanne
      • pandamao replied:

I love him in everything that was listed. His role in the King of tomorrow and yesterday was my least liked. I actually loved him in 無業流民。 I think he was in that one with his long hair and headband .. hope that’s the right series.

Login or Register before you can reply to pandamao
      • Joyce replied:

Yeah I know that series & also I love him in “I have a date with spring” along sheren tseng. He’s just so cool. My fav actor of all time.

Login or Register before you can reply to Joyce
  14. RaySimpson says:

NOT ATV THOUGH!

Login or Register before you can reply to RaySimpson
  15. based says:

Wherever he chooses, just don’t go back to ATV. I doubt he’ll pick TVB though. The promos from the sales presentation look terrible, except for Big wheel.

Login or Register before you can reply to based
  16. Woot says:

Kong Wah!!! Come back!!! I’ve been waiting all my life for you to return, lol…no one can portray an emperor with such high charisma except for him. He’s just freakin’ awesome! *faints*

And he’ll always be the most adorable and innocent, cutesy monk in JTTW. One of my favorite actors, as you can tell, lol xD

Login or Register before you can reply to Woot
    • samantha replied:

Yes absolutely agree!!! if tvb are recuiting veterans it should be Kwong Wah..I missed him so much…the charm he had..

Login or Register before you can reply to samantha
  17. Vic L says:

Such a good and talented actor .Hope will see his drama very soon in future 😉 .Good luck Kong Wah .

Login or Register before you can reply to Vic L
  18. Joanne says:

Yay~~!!Few days ago, I was typing about wishing him coming back to act and now my wish is about to come true!! Kwong Wah plz come back to Tvb!! This is such a good news!! 😀

Login or Register before you can reply to Joanne
  19. skinnymocha says:

Haha, I just read the headline and my mind nearly exploded. Yes please~ I loved him in Secret Battle of the Majesty, A Cruel Lover and the one with Esther Kwan. It’d be nice to see him and Esther pair up again…

Login or Register before you can reply to skinnymocha
    • KD replied:

Me too, I still watch the movie he was paired up with Esther Kwan, Kara Hui and another actress – don’t remember her name. That movie is so hilarious…

Login or Register before you can reply to KD
    • Hannah replied:

Lady Flower Fist

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
  20. sky says:

love him in “Secret Battle of the Majesty”!

Login or Register before you can reply to sky
  21. advo says:

He’s a fantastic actor, but I don’t know if he should return to TVB. Of course, TVB should jump at the possibility of getting him back

Login or Register before you can reply to advo
  22. Hannah says:

Kong Wah is a very versatile actor. Looking forward to see comeback!

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
  23. sandcherry says:

I like to watch Kong Wah, too. He is good looking and acts well.

Hope that he will film some good drama series for TVB.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
  24. irene says:

Seems like he still has tons of fans.

I am so excited too! Can’t wait to see him acting again.

The first time I took notice of him was in ATV The Silver Tycoon. I was thinking who’s that handsome young man. Also took notic of Christine Ng. She was so sexy in that drama.

Login or Register before you can reply to irene
  25. june says:

omg let this be true!
    i lovelovelovelove this man!
    From Journey to the West to Lady Flower Fist to Happy Ever After to Crimson Sabre to A Step into the Past to everything he does…I just l0ve him. I wanna see him in HK dramas again. He was good as well in Hong Fu Nu, but I hated his character, lols.

Login or Register before you can reply to june
    • lychii04 replied:

I know! During his time, I hated a lot of his characters then realised how great of an.actor he mustvr been to be so convincing. Then he becomes the monk in JTTW, the ultimate goodie, and is still convincing. Honestly, it’s hard for me to think of KW as the monk.

Login or Register before you can reply to lychii04
      • Funn Lim replied:

Sigh, di-cky’s name is causing a lot of problems!! I can read your comment on him not being a lead much in series and yet not here. Anyway not true. Kong Wah left ATV as the top actor in ATV. He was practically in every series in ATV. Then he came to TVB as leading actor, JTTW, etc. He was never the 2nd line, he was always the leading actor even amongst a series with many leading actors, he had the good roles. And at one point, the babysitter of Miss HK coming into acting. He is to me considered the veteran pillar as in if you need an actor to lead a cast of new or unknown actors, he is the one. I suppose he got bored with the babysitting role.

• lychii04 replied:

Oh yeah now that you mentioned it, he was in atv amd paired with joey meng a lot. Totally forgot because i only occasionally watched atv.

Login or Register before you can reply to lychii04
  26. lol says:

he has been in some china dramas over the last 8 years and he was in Criminal Investigation

Login or Register before you can reply to lol
  27. lychii04 says:

OMGGGGGG PLEASE COME BACK. I’ve been waiting for this article for ages! And hopefully he’s back at TVB, despite their decline, they’re still the most accessible company!

Seriously I don’t care what TVB does, if they can bring back Kong Wah I will overlook any stupid TVB Awards fails.

Login or Register before you can reply to lychii04
  28. TN1 says:

Wow! Dis guy rocks, mann!
    He has the grace of a historic king(KOTAY) I bet his portrayal of an eunuch or as Li Lianying is super magnificient as well!

Login or Register before you can reply to TN1
  29. Kidd says:

It is untrue that Kong Wah has an 8 years hiatus. I read another article and it’s only 3 years. He filmed a Cantonese Mainland series that is 106 episodes back in 2009 with Amy Chan, Mimi Kung and Liu Kai Chi.

This is the series.

Kong Wah and wife really made effort in their marriage. When Kong Wah was filming in Mainland, his wife accompanied him. When his wife is having his concert tour now, he accompanies his wife. This is their way of moving as one and maintaining their love.

At one time, Kong Wah was having severe depression. It was so severe that he has hallucination and suicidal urge. It was due to his back pain which causes lack of sleep which later brought to other problem. It was during this time a doctor asked him to let God heal him. So, he joined Christianity. He was a Buddhist at that time. His wife was surprised at the sudden change. But, she joined him anyway. She is of the opinion that a husband and wife should be on the same path.

Read these 2 insightful article about Kong Wah and Kitman.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
    • Funn Lim replied:

I never knew why he changed to Christianity. Now I know. And since religion helps, what more can anyone say at the change? What cost the back pain? Filming caused the injury?

• Veejay replied:

@Funn,

Its easy for minority to talk about religion change but its definitely ‘dangerous’ to talk about it here u know where and sensitive for those you know who ^^.. Was just saying since you mention about religion 😀

Anyway, if Kong Wah really make a come back, Im sure tvb will tailor made a role for him since he’s still prtty much a rating puller.

Login or Register before you can reply to Veejay
      • Funn Lim replied:

Veejay,

No worries! Buddhists and Christians, a great pair!

Tailor made role? Probably an emperor role which means he won’t come back. Give him a modern day series, a comedy, I am sure he will run back.

• HeTieShou replied:

I would personally not be happy if a doctor told me that God would heal me… I don’t think religion has the answer to everything nor can it solve everything. It can actually cause more problems in various cases…. A doctor once did that to my late father and he got really upset…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    • Maggie replied:

He went to the doctor to get himself healed but instead was referred to God by the doctor. Is this how Christianity is preached now, using doctors ?

Login or Register before you can reply to Maggie
      • Kidd replied:

I’m sure the advice to go to God is as an extra help and not as a substitute to his primary medication.

It’s like medication + faith.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
  30. HeTieShou says:

I have not seen Kong Wah act for a long time so it would be great to see him again… Can’t wait for his comeback!

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  31. hcfoo says:

looking forward to his comeback!

Login or Register before you can reply to hcfoo
  32. Nelly says:

No don’t go back to tvb and play their politics games, what if they put him and Aimee together? Or some crappy drama with people who can’t act? Join cti after they get their license.

Login or Register before you can reply to Nelly
  33. Uni says:

BY FAR one of TVB’S best actors. I loved his chemistry with Anne Heung. Too bad Anne Heung retired to pursue her lawyer ambitions! I wouldn’t consider Anne Heung to be a talented actress but Kong Wah really elevates her. At one instance I thought they were dating

Login or Register before you can reply to Uni
    • Nicole replied:

Anne Heung has already gone back to acting in some Mainland series. No idea what it is, but there was news about her going back to the industry.

Login or Register before you can reply to Nicole
  34. Woot says:

Anyone remember the series where he’s the Yongzhen emperor and he loves this lady called Miu Yan, played by quite a famous actress back in ATV? It’s the one where it shows the battle of 14 princes (my first exposure to the Kangxi era!). His performance has left a deep, deep impression on me. I was so little back then, yet, I loved everything about him and the series!

Login or Register before you can reply to Woot
    • Funn Lim replied:

I remember, Secret Battle Of The Majesties I & II and I believe her name was Choi Hiu Yee from my review.

Even at his most rotten (in that version), my sympathies lie with Yongzheng.

• Woot replied:

Oh! So this is the title? I couldn’t recall there’s two parts to the series, ah.
        I wonder what happened to Choi Hiu Yee now. Not much news of her from Google.

Yeah, dont know why, but I feel the same for Yonzhen too despite how he’s being depicted.

Login or Register before you can reply to Woot
  35. irene says:

There was an article I read before, asking him what he disliked most.

Guess what’s his reply?

ancient costumes

Login or Register before you can reply to irene
    • lychii04 replied:

Aw what a shame. However, I like him in modern series too! He’s quite funny with his comedic timing!

Login or Register before you can reply to lychii04
      • lychii04 replied:

For some reason I just envisioned him as Law Ba and he’s one of the actors I believe can really pull it off, even better than those first and second choices.

Login or Register before you can reply to lychii04
      • Funn Lim replied:

Law Ba? No no, that is Bowie’s role!

He will hate me for saying he is ideal for Prince Gong.

• lychii04 replied:

I still can’t see Bowie as Law Ba. I think Kevin would’ve done better than Bowie because he doesn’t have that aloof charm.

Login or Register before you can reply to lychii04
  36. exoidus says:

Hope Ricky will give him a call. Would love to see him along with Felix in a series.

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
  37. ebbie says:

I’ve seen him in comdies too & he’s sooo…. good & funny! LOVE him…. please come back!

Login or Register before you can reply to ebbie
  38. Jojo says:

I was just wondering when Kong Wah is going to show up as I read about Andy, Fatt Gor, etc going back to TVB. I adore him and all his series. He has this charisma that makes him a joy to watch. Hope he does not join ATV though…. TVB do something soon!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to Jojo
  39. Jess says:

Kong Wah’s Aunty lives near my block, and I saw Kong Wah and her a couple of times. Anyways, his aunty said he might go back to TVB depending what TVB is going to say etc. Though Kong Wah is a lovely person, and if he does return back to TVB, I’ll support him.

Please don’t ask me where his Aunty lives, because we do sometimes get people popping in and out…so..

Login or Register before you can reply to Jess
  40. Theresa says:

Great. I still re-watch his old drama. It is totally refreshing to watch him act instead of those overexposed actors like Bosco, Raymond etc. I hope to see him with Anne again as their chemistry is excellent….is like milk with tea….perfect!

Login or Register before you can reply to Theresa
  41. Fox says:

I really like Kong Wah but it’s kinda funny when he bashed Txb that much and now considering to come back. Like Lawrence Ng, pretty funny through.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
  42. Annie says:

OMG! I used to love his acting! He has so much charisma, it’s crazy!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to Annie
  43. deep says:

he and wife made a choice to be christians, then he should not go back to work in the entertainment field anymore, should be seeking the Kingdom of God

Login or Register before you can reply to deep
    • Kidd replied:

Christians don’t stop work just because they became Christian.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd