Angered by accusations of “concubine selection”, popular pop star Lay Zhang (張藝興) has started a defamation lawsuit, this time against a makeup artist.
With Kris Wu (吳亦凡) facing a lengthy imprisonment for sexual crimes, and former EXO member Jackson Wang (王嘉爾) hit by accusations of sexually assaulting his female fans just last month, Lay, it seems, is not spared from ripple effects of a crackdown on chaotic celebrity culture targeting artistes returning from overseas.
Stylist: Relied On Photo Editing
Having made his debut through Kpop group EXO, the singer turned his focus to the Chinese market in recent years, attaining success as a solo artiste. According to reports, stylist Xu Feng Li (徐峰立) posted on his personal Weibo that “a certain Z-surnamed little fresh meat is also into choosing concubines”, which netizens surmised pointed at Lay. The brouhaha happened two years back when the post blew up on the internet, as Xu Feng Li alleged that the unnamed artiste was also into “picking concubines”, and called on him to restrain himself.
He further spilled that the said celebrity would also tussle his way to better spots during fashion events, and that he relied on photo editing when shooting makeup commercials. Expressing ruefulness, he added that he regretted having introduced so many fashion contacts to him and described the latter as “an ungrateful little bastard”.
In response, Lay issued a statement through his studio slamming the “false rumors” and said that he had started a defamation lawsuit. Though the stylist later deleted his post and apologized, Lay’s studio responded by acknowledging receipt of the apology and said that legal proceedings will continue. A January 20 notice from Beijing Legal Court also showed that legal proceedings on a dispute over infringement liability between the two parties have commenced.
The singer has previously won a defamation lawsuit against Weibo user Yang back in 2019, but chose not to seek monetary compensation after finding out about the latter’s troubled background.