Obituary: So Hang Shuen Passed Away at 62 Years Old

By on June 12, 2013 in NEWS, Obituaries

Veteran Hong Kong actress So Hang Shuen (蘇杏璇) passed away on June 12, 2013 at the age of 62 years old. Having suffered for years from diabetes, Suen Jeh’s body weight fell from 150 pounds to below 100 pounds. Although she was able to leave Queen Elizabeth Hospital last week, her condition worsened once again a few days ago. Shuen Jeh then experienced a stroke that brought upon further complications, leading to her death.

Shuen Jeh was a member of the first TVB artist training class in 1972. She participated in numerous TVB dramas from the 1970s to the 1990s, earning wide recognition from the audience. Some of her most memorable works include Legend of the Condor Heroes <射雕英雄傳>, Looking Back in Anger <義不容情> and Police Cadet <新扎師兄>. In 1995, Shuen Jeh took a break from filming in TVB and opened a vegetarian restaurant. In 2000, she filmed two dramas for ATV.

Died Peacefully

Shuen Jeh won the Best Supporting Actress award at the 2012 Hong Kong Film Awards for her performance in Life Without Principle <奪命金>. Unfortunately, she was unable to carry home the award herself due to her illness. Shuen Jeh entered the hospital several times in recent years. Due to festering flesh, her toes had to be amputated in order to save her life. But even after four operations, her diabetes worsened.

Since Shuen Jeh was a Buddhist, her son revealed that a Buddhist funeral ceremony will be conducted. He shared, “I want to say that my mother passed away peacefully. Most of the important family members were by her side, so she had no regrets.”

Friends Remember Shuen Jeh

Many members of the entertainment industry were saddened by her death. Shuen Jeh kept in touch with veteran artists Helena Law (羅蘭) and Yue Mo Lin (余慕蓮), who revealed, “She had a stroke earlier and there was a tumor in her stomach. The worst is the anemia; her body was very weak. The doctor was afraid to perform surgery.”

Johnnie To (杜琪峰), who had once collaborated with Shuen Jeh, expressed, “I had a meal with her a few months ago. This news is too sudden. I don’t know what to say….After all, life ends with a period one day. Besides her outstanding acting skills, So Hang Shuen’s compassion and kindness placed a perfect period to her life. I thank her for her contribution to the world of performing arts.”

So Hang ShuenDenise Ho (何韻詩), who worked with Shuen Jeh in Life Without Principle, also praised her for her outstanding acting skills. Denise expressed she was very happy to be able to work with the veteran actress and will always miss her.

Tony Leung Chiu Wai (梁朝偉), who portrayed Shuen Jeh’s son in Police Cadet, said, “Shuen Jeh and I are both Buddhists; I hope she will find happiness in another world. I will always remember the times when we worked together.” Tony’s wife, Carina Lau (劉嘉玲) commented, “Shuen Jeh was a gentle and generous actress. She was serious about work and kind and caring towards colleagues. I hope she finds happiness in another world; she will continue to live in our hearts.”

Video News Coverage

Sources: ihktv.com; Oriental Daily

This article is written by Shirley for JayneStars.com.

46 comments to Obituary: So Hang Shuen Passed Away at 62 Years Old

1. cloud9 says:

Rest In Peace So Hang Shuen

You dearly miss, thank you

Login or Register before you can reply to cloud9
  2. mosailan says:

awww…i remember watching her in legend of the condor heroes…she will be missed!

Login or Register before you can reply to mosailan
  3. jayne says:

So Hang Suen starred in several oof the most memorable TVB series from the 1980s. She had wonderful chemistry with Felix Wong in “Legend of the Condor Heroes” and “Looking Back in Anger”. She will always be remembered by fans for her performances. RIP.

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
    • HeTieShou replied:

I just rewatched Looking back in Anger and Police Cadet. I am so saddened that another veteran actress is gone. I think she had wonderful chemistry with all of the actors and actresses that she worked with. She and Tony were great as mother and son in Police Cadet. I love her with Felix in Legend as well. May she rest in peace and may all of her great works and memories live on.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • Applelim replied:

Yes she was really an exceptionally good actress, in many memorable golden series.
        I remember watching a series with her as the mother of Roger Kwok..she played the role of a long suffering wife, which her husband left her for another woman and treated her aborminably. She even end up in prison for her husband in mainland China. Can’t remember the title but I cried buckets. Can anyone remember the title????? She was fantastic in that series. May she rest in peace.

Login or Register before you can reply to Applelim
      • Carole replied:

It’s called The intangible truth. I remembered the bad husband used her to smuggle drugs hidden in roast ducks!

Login or Register before you can reply to Carole
      • llwy12 replied:

@Applelim: Yup, as Carole stated, the series is Intangible Truth. I just finished re-watching that series myself a few weeks ago. Suen Jeh was awesome in that series, as was Roger (as well as everyone else). I cried buckets as well throughout that series, especially during Suen Jeh and Roger’s prison visit scenes.

@HeTie Shou: Yes — in addition to those roles you mentioned, I also remember her in The Drifters, Files of Justice, Detective Investigation Files, etc. Definitely will miss her!!

Login or Register before you can reply to llwy12
      • claire replied:

Yup, exactly. Beside Shuen Jeh, another veterans that I watched most in TVB oldies are Bak Yan, Nam Hung, Kenneth Tsang, Yeung Chak Lam, etc. I remembered her for her role as Cheung Wai Kit mother in Police Cadet installments, also Felix’s aunt in Looking Back In Anger and yes Kwok Jing mom in LOCH 1983. Three memorable roles for Shuen Jeh…Rest In Peace.

Login or Register before you can reply to claire
      • HeTieShou replied:

Many of you probably do not remember her in Duke Of Mt. Deer as Tony’s adopted aunt. She played the maid of Zhang Ping Gong Zhu. She was a supporting but sweet character that really dedicated and loyal. She also played Yao Yue Gong Zhu in the 70s version of Jue Da Shuang Jiao too. But I think many do not remember due to that series being so old.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    • Applelim replied:

Oh yes ‘The Intangible Truth’.. many thanks.

Login or Register before you can reply to Applelim
  4. azndoraemon says:

aww RIP. Love your acting and thank you for all the good dramas.

Login or Register before you can reply to azndoraemon
  5. Larry 3 says:

Im sadden by her passing. She is a wonderful actress at TVB til the mid 90s. Lots of great dramas and she acted well. Im very sorry for her deteriorating health, she could have film a lot more movies and dramas in her career.

R.I.P.

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
    • Larry 3 replied:

BTW, Apple Daily in Cantonese in tribute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9c_j5w1CFU

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
    • HeTieShou replied:

Me too and was shocked by her passing since she is not even that old. I really missed seeing her in series and really looked forward to her return. May she rest in peace and I am glad that many remember and love her.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  6. Cato says:

RIP, I was just watching her in Drifters with Frankie Lam a couple months back wondering where she went. I liked her work, hopefully she’s in a better place.

Login or Register before you can reply to Cato
  7. aptos says:

Deepest condolences…

Login or Register before you can reply to aptos
  8. llwy12 says:

I was very saddened to read this morning about Suen Jeh’s passing!  Grew up watching her and loved her acting… no matter what type of role she played, she was always excellent at it!  So many of her mother roles were memorable to me, I can’t even begin to count them all.

Rest in peace, Suen Jeh! You will surely missed!

Login or Register before you can reply to llwy12
  9. Mlove says:

I remember her. She is an awesome actress. RIP.

Diabetes is very dangerous. My auntie died from diabetes too and had to amputate her leg. It’s very sad to see her suffered for so many years. She’s the sweetest and caring lady ever. She always put other first, even ppl that she’s doesn’t know.

I miss you Auntie. RIP. ='( ***

Login or Register before you can reply to Mlove
    • HeTieShou replied:

Yea, one of our family friends passed away due to diabetes. It is such a dangerous disease and can cause blindness, amputation of legs, and sadly even death if not treated carefully. One of my aunt in laws has diabetes and has to give herself a shot of insulin every single day or else she will have problems walking.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  10. Coconut says:

RIP

Login or Register before you can reply to Coconut
  11. Lol says:

RIP, thank you for being apart of my childhood memory.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lol
  12. YQ says:

RIP, Shuen jie. I remember watching lots of your movies and suddenly I heard the radio announcing your death this morning. 🙁

Login or Register before you can reply to YQ
  13. Hannahh says:

R.I.P

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannahh

I am shocked. So young. And I never knew she was married with child. In fact I knew so little of her.

15. exoidus says:

Thought she was older prolly bc she always played a mommy.

She was great in LWP, I actually found the scene at the bank to be funny.

So sad another great actress gone 🙁

RIP

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
    • LULU replied:

that’s good acting ex

Login or Register before you can reply to LULU
  16. sophia says:

yeah she played kenix kwok’s mom in the serie with michael tao investigation file.
    R.I.P

Login or Register before you can reply to sophia
  17. skinnymocha says:

I’m actually getting teary-eyed right now. Thank you for giving us so many great memories. R.I.P.

Login or Register before you can reply to skinnymocha
  18. Siying says:

R.i.p. deepest condolences to her family and fans.

Login or Register before you can reply to Siying
  19. CT says:

R.I.P

Login or Register before you can reply to CT
  20. meiyi says:

R.I.P. Condolence to her family.

Login or Register before you can reply to meiyi
  21. felicity says:

So sad! Only 62, gone too soon. Shuen jeh is one of my favorite actresses. She was in so many memorable tvb series from the 80s and 90s. I particularly remember Shuen Jeh as the mom of Tony Leung in Police Cadet. They really seemed like a real mother and son. Tony, Carina, Felix and those batch of tvb actors who worked with Shuen Jeh will definitely feel this sad loss. R.I.P.

Login or Register before you can reply to felicity
  22. Solar says:

Extremely saddened by this news. Rest In Peace. Heart goes out to her and her family.

Login or Register before you can reply to Solar
  23. LinPeace says:

My memory of Police Cadet is still strong, thanks for such a memorable performance for me. RIP!!!!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to LinPeace
  24. happybi says:

So sad… Rest in peace!

Login or Register before you can reply to happybi
  25. bizzybody says:

R.I.P……

Login or Register before you can reply to bizzybody
  26. Nick says:

Darn, two actors from Looking Back in Anger die this year already! Just watched it a few months ago. I was wondering why she didn’t come back to make series anymore.

Login or Register before you can reply to Nick
    • Rambling Mind replied:

Who else?

Login or Register before you can reply to Rambling Mind
      • skinnymocha replied:

Kong Ngai. The uncle/Kathy Chow’s father.

Login or Register before you can reply to skinnymocha
  27. Rambling Mind says:

RIP Wun Yee

Login or Register before you can reply to Rambling Mind
  28. Mav says:

Sad news. Have my regards.

Login or Register before you can reply to Mav
  29. Gar says:

Just finished watching Police Cadet Part 2 last week. Such a wonderful actress…RIP.

Login or Register before you can reply to Gar
  30. Lily says:

RIP. I remember her from the Files of Justice series. Another veteran we will surely miss.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lily
  31. tusk says:

RIP … will miss her

Login or Register before you can reply to tusk
  32. Pinky Kang says:

Rip……will miss u…..

Login or Register before you can reply to Pinky Kang
  33. HeTieShou says:

I cannot believe that you have the evil nerve to post such a sick and nasty message in this obituary article. Karma will definitely bite back at you!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou