Ron Ng Prepared for Criticism for Exaggerated Acting in “Lady Sour”

By on December 5, 2014 in NEWS

Lady Sour <醋娘子> began airing on December 1. Caught in a love rectangle, Ron Ng (吳卓羲), Myolie Wu (胡杏兒), Eliza Sam (岑麗香) and Him Law (羅仲謙) revealed their filming experience for the period comedy. For his comedic role, Ron was required to display many exaggerated reactions. Uncertain how viewers would respond, he is prepared for negative backlash.

Ron Ng Prepared for Criticism

Initially afraid his character would be disliked, Ron said filming Lady Sour is one of his biggest challenges to-date. “This drama’s character gives off a fresh feeling. It may lead to a new path for myself. The audience may not like my overly exaggerated acting and it may be negatively received – there’s no middle ground. I’ve never acted in this type of series before. I can’t really predict how the audience will react.”

Partnering with Ron on multiple occasions, including last year’s Triumph in the Skies 2 <衝上雲宵II>, Myolie said Ron incorporated his own personality into his role. Teasing Ron for having a playful side, Myolie sees similarities with his onscreen persona. “I think he is very funny and he brings me a lot of joy. I can never stop laughing when I’m working with him, so I think [the reception] will be good.”

Eliza Sam and Him Law Star in First Period Drama

Lady Sour promoLady Sour is Eliza Sam (岑麗香) and Him Law‘s (羅仲謙) first period drama.

Born and raised in Vancouver, Eliza struggled to understand the majority of her script. Especially having trouble with ancient proverbs, Eliza hired a professional to translate her Chinese script to English and had no choice but rely solely on pinyin to recite her lines.

Although Eliza struggled with the filming process, she was very thankful the cast guided her on the proper speech for a character set in historical China. “I’ve listened to my mother’s stories about China and I’ve watched historical dramas before. There’s a fantasy feeling to them. Growing up overseas, I learned about Chinese culture later in life, and I feel very lucky to be able to act in a costume series. It exposed me to the culture and helped me understand my roots.”

Him was thankful Lady Sour was a comedy and the lines did not contain too many difficult proverbs and phrases to memorize.

Source: TVB Weekly via kuangaitvb.com

This article is written by Su for JayneStars.com.

How do you feel about this article?
Ron Ng Prepared for Criticism for Exaggerated Acting in “Lady Sour”

• Myolie Wu Stars as Jealous Wife in "Lady Sour"(22)
  • "Lady Sour" Synopsis(35)
  • Him Law Shocks with Clownish Face in "Lady Sour"(11)
  • What to Watch in 2014 Hong Kong Dramas(64)
  • [STYLE] 2013 TVB Anniversary Awards(65)
  • [STYLE] TVB Star Awards Malaysia 2013(62)
  • Chilam Cheung and Linda Chung Win TV King and TV Queen at TVB Stars Awards Malaysia 2013(276)
  • Eliza Sam Struggles with Difficult Dialogue in Period Dramas(22)
  • TVB’s “The Vinegar Lady” Films Sales Presentation(82)
  • Episodic Thoughts: "Triumph in the Skies 2" Episode 13(39)

• 67 comments to Ron Ng Prepared for Criticism for Exaggerated Acting in “Lady Sour”

1. Toby says:

Since Ron brings his own personality into the role, I expect him to be good.

Login or Register before you can reply to Toby
    2. Toby says:

I just realized all of them were in TITS2 together.

Login or Register before you can reply to Toby
    3. jin says:

doesnt matter how they act, tvb just making the same stuff again and again and again…the storylines, the acting, dialogue, the sets, the music, the style, just all the same stuff all the time

Login or Register before you can reply to jin
      • broken hearted toy replied:

I’d argue it’s not just the same stuff again again. It’s WORSE stuff again and again. Seriously, the costumes look so garish… like something you’d wear at a cheap Chinese New Year play or something.

Login or Register before you can reply to broken hearted toy
        • msxie replied:

The styling and costumes still look way better than those pigtailed chinaman costume Qing and Republic era dramas.

Login or Register before you can reply to msxie
    4. Looooooooo says:

Not bad ron, the series is pretty good

Login or Register before you can reply to Looooooooo
    5. AC says:

Ron is cute in this series. I like his exaggerated acting in this role, and i’m looking forward to seeing him in more scenes with Myolie.

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
    6. choco-bunny says:

Saw the extended trailer. Looks pretty funny. May give it a try if time permits.

Login or Register before you can reply to choco-bunny
    7. jenny says:

ron is better than his friend lam fung when he exaggerates. ron is cute based on the extended trailer i love ron’s character already. this series is much better looking than silly comedy come on cousin.

Login or Register before you can reply to jenny
      • Kaka replied:

It’s a bit inappropriate to bring Raymond L. into this since it’s nothing to so with him. But actually I have always feel that Ron is better ay acting than Raymond. Ron doesn’t excel that well in serious dramas but he’s cute in lighy hearted ones like this where he can just be his happy self. He’s best in TITS, ACOTOB and this series, but quite bad in others.

I just don’t feel satisfied that TVB is using Ron to promote Him in this. First they put Ron behind Ruco in ROE, then behind Louis in BHWS and now behind Him Law in LS? Him looks awkward in an ancient series. He doesn’t look comfortable at all. Ron should just leave TVB if he’s demoted like this!

Login or Register before you can reply to Kaka
        • YanYan Kong replied:

I thought Him had no chemistry with Myolie at all while Ron and Myolie were so natural.

Login or Register before you can reply to YanYan Kong
        • Kaka replied:

Him is miscast badly and he did bad. Ron and Myolie are like comfortable with each other but Him has no chemistry with Myolie. Is he afraid of Tavia or something. Him is also can’t do comedy and ancient series. His acting is very limited I don’t get why TVB love him so much and prefer him over Ron.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kaka
        • HeTieShou replied:

Yrs,if Tvb keeps treating Ron like that then he may leave for good. However,if he does not leave on bad terms then he may sign a per series contract with Tvb.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
        • Tvbfan replied:

Totally agree with Kaka and everyone else here. Ron is doing a good job , but he sounds a bit sick. If TVB keep useing RON to promote other actors RON may leave TVB and never come back.

Login or Register before you can reply to Tvbfan
        • ron running replied:

Ron is not a good actor, so he deserves what TVB treats him as.

You reap what you sow. You get rewarded for only what you are capable off. If not good, then you land lesser jobs. If good, then you get great jobs.

Simple as that. Ron and his fans should not complain.

Login or Register before you can reply to ron running
        • Not funny replied:

Ron, oh Ron

Login or Register before you can reply to Not funny

Ron should do fine. I worry more for Him Law who forgettable. He isn’t even cute.

• Rainbow replied:

You don’t have to worry about Him Law. TVB has been heavily promoting him and he is quite well-known as a uprising TVB star. Of course Ron is still better.

Login or Register before you can reply to Rainbow
      • Kaka replied:

Why are you worrying about Him? It doesn’t matter if he did bad in here, TVB has put more promotion on Him for this series and demote Ron behind although Ron is clearly muchhh better than Himhim. Last time TVB put Ron behind Ruco, then Louis Cheung, then now selling abs Himhim?

Login or Register before you can reply to Kaka
        • Tvbfan replied:

TVB is useing up RON to promote other actors. Which is wrong Ron has really good acting and if TVB doesn’t use his Talent for main roles or good use , then mainland china or hong kong movies or even twain will be happy to use him.

Login or Register before you can reply to Tvbfan
    9. Panda says:

Ron did quite well in this show, much more better compared to the last few.

Login or Register before you can reply to Panda
    10. evangeline says:

Ron has always been good in comedies. A Chip Off the Old Block was very funny.

Login or Register before you can reply to evangeline
      • Kaka replied:

I’d rather watch Ron than unfunny Wong Cho Lam

Login or Register before you can reply to Kaka
        • cocochan replied:

Agree. Don’t understand all the hype over Cholam. He is NOT funny at sll but downright irritating.

Login or Register before you can reply to cocochan
      • HeTieShou replied:

Oh yes, I remember how cute and funny Ron was in ACOTOB. I am sure he would do well in this series and be well liked. Not sure how the audience will feel towards Him since this is his first ancient series.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
        • Tvbfan replied:

Ron is definitely more funny than Wong cho Lam.

Login or Register before you can reply to Tvbfan
    11. YanYanKong says:

Never seen so much good comments for Ron. Finally!

Login or Register before you can reply to YanYanKong
      • choco-bunny replied:

haha, yes right. I normally don’t like Ron or his acting but i thought he was funny in this. Who knows, this may be his breakthrough role?

Login or Register before you can reply to choco-bunny
        • YanYan Kong replied:

Hope Ron (was gonna use the noun him, but that’ll be confusing here) will do even better in the drama with Anthony. Can’t wait for that!

Login or Register before you can reply to YanYan Kong
        • Kaka replied:

Ron will do even better in that drama with Anthony. He must’ve gotten lots of acting points from Anthony. Ron is awesome.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kaka
        • HeTieShou replied:

Yes,hope that Anthony gave Ron some good pointers.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • HeTieShou replied:

I agree and it great to finally see good and positive comments towards Ron’s acting. Maybe he is finally given a suitable role which may be his breakthrough role?

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
        • kolo replied:

its not easy to get a role that can make you shine.how many breakthrough roles does tvb produced in the last decade? i can only remember tsai gau for wayne,laughing gor for michael tse, and cool mort for chilam, that have really make them more famous.and i dont think ron’s role here in sour lady can bring him to another level.

Login or Register before you can reply to kolo
        • HeTieShou replied:

True that it is not easy to get a role where you can shine which is why luck also plays a big factor in anyone’s success. Well, whether Ron’s role can bring him to another level will depend on the reaction from the general audience so let’s wait and see.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
        • HeTieShou replied:

I also forgot to say if Ron does not get a shining role in Tvb series,he may get some good roles in China which will help him bring his acting to another level.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
        • Tvbfan replied:

I can’t agree more with you guys. Finally Ron gets all these positive feed backs and comments. Thanks for support of Ron.

Login or Register before you can reply to Tvbfan
    12. YanYanKong says:

How do you guys like the theme song? I was waiting for Ron and Myolie to duet again cause their last duet for A Chip Off the Old Block was soooooooo good.
      I liked this one a lot too. Both sounded good and the melody is lovely.

Login or Register before you can reply to YanYanKong
      • lol replied:

I love all three of their duets! The theme song for Lady Sour is really nice, and I like the style of the MV.

Login or Register before you can reply to lol
    13. freedalas says:

Ron ought to be praised instead of being criticized actually as strangely, he’s much better in exaggerated then normal acting. He pulled off his role pretty well and he’s what makes the drama watchable, other than Gigi Wong.

Login or Register before you can reply to freedalas
      • choco-bunny replied:

I agree with you that Ron is actually better at exaggerated acting than serious acting. He can give Wong Cholam a run for his money. Perhaps he’s been miscast all these years.

Login or Register before you can reply to choco-bunny
        • Tvbfan replied:

I usally don’t agree with choco bunny but this time I gotta agree Ron is quite good in funny roles maybe in the next come on cousin they should star Ron. And maybe TVB did miscast Ron for all these years.

Login or Register before you can reply to Tvbfan
    14. i really love this film when i first watched the first ep it was very funny!

Login or Register before you can reply to Fredchengfans!
    15. Best says:

He should do more comedy instead. Gigi Wong did a great job. Very refreshing to watch. Much better than Come on cousin. That series should of been 20 episodes instead of 30.

Login or Register before you can reply to Best
    16. Loop says:

Surprisingly Ron did great in this drama. He is really funny and fun to watch. Love it! Him law is okay while Eliza is just horrible.

Login or Register before you can reply to Loop
      • jennifer replied:

I thought Ron is doing pretty good so far. Myolie and her mom’s character is kinda of annoying. Him’s acting makes me cringe in this drama. He’s usually decent imo but I feel like he was a miscast here. And his makeup in this is so…egh. While I think Eliza’s doing great. Her acting fits her character, which is kinda ditzy and cute.

Login or Register before you can reply to jennifer
    17. janet says:

hope ron stays in tvb and also hope tvb gives him more main roles.

Login or Register before you can reply to janet
    18. eva1229 says:

I just watched first episode and Ron did really good. I find Myolie a little too old for this role.

Login or Register before you can reply to eva1229
    19. joojaibao says:

Ron’s acting is ok it not as bad like some ppl say I would wanna watch more of him then the following 4 male artist

Oscar Leung
      Him Law
      Matthew Ko
      Sammy Shum

Login or Register before you can reply to joojaibao
      • Llps replied:

Agree.
        Oscar – thinks he is so cool now. What a joke
        Him – dumb beefcake. Not even charming
        Matthew Ko – I think he quit!
        Sammy Shum – not bad but think that he is very handsome. It’s not bad but his jawline is ugly. Has a natural frown.

Login or Register before you can reply to Llps
        • joojaibao replied:

Right on!!! I dislike Oscar n Him law I’m a fan of Bosco Ron and Kenneth

Login or Register before you can reply to joojaibao
    20. Crow says:

Since it’s a comedy his exaggeration isn’t bad or annoying. Ron is way better than Him in the drama.

Login or Register before you can reply to Crow
    21. Evan Ren says:

well the average for this week is 21 points.

Login or Register before you can reply to Evan Ren
    22. jen says:

Started watching this show. It is pretty funny and light hearted. Had some good chuckles! I love Myolie and Eliza is super cute in this drama. I also enjoy seeing Ron as he is really funny. I dont see anything wrong with the over acting. It suits his role. Pretty drama so far

Login or Register before you can reply to jen
    23. ebbie says:

I feel Ron is best in comedies.
      If he stick to it, that’ll be great !

Login or Register before you can reply to ebbie
    24. YanYanKong says:

Wow! All praises and no complains for this drama itself. Something else I’ve never heard for a long time. This might be hope for TVB?

Login or Register before you can reply to YanYanKong
      • HeTieShou replied:

Totally agree and good point! Maybe there is still hope for Tvb?

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    25. Jake says:

Ron improve a lot after acting with Sam gor

Login or Register before you can reply to Jake
    26. Jake says:

Hope Ron signs with tvb but if he signs hope he gets better roles and tvb will give him a pork chop award

Login or Register before you can reply to Jake
      • Jake replied:

Ron was officially cast to play Raymond Wong role in OA as the biggest support role or second lead but probably Catherine took him out

Login or Register before you can reply to Jake
        • bubbles replied:

really??

Login or Register before you can reply to bubbles
    27. lol says:

So happy to see all these positive comments about Ron. Personally I also think that he is suited for comedies. He was funny in A Chip Off the Old Block.
      Unfortunately he hasn’t got that much screen time in the first week of Lady Sour, hope to see him more over the next few weeks.

Login or Register before you can reply to lol
    28. joojaibao says:

Ron has always been my fave male artist but TVB has decide to cast him so unfair i do really hope he dont leave for good!!

Login or Register before you can reply to joojaibao
    29. bubbles says:

Go Ron!!

Login or Register before you can reply to bubbles
    30. YanYanKong says:

Myolie was right, Ron’s Blind look was sooooooooooooooooo funny. I could not stop laughing at him. =)))))))

Login or Register before you can reply to YanYanKong
    31. Jake says:

Ron is one of the best actor left in tvb

Login or Register before you can reply to Jake
    32. Hannahh says:

I don’t mind Ron in sour lady!

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannahh
    33. Wicked witch says:

I actually liked this drama. One of the good ones from tvb in a long long time

Login or Register before you can reply to Wicked witch