Oscar Leung is Not a Suitable Singer?

By on July 22, 2013 in TV Dramas

TVB’s reality singing competition Voice of Stars <星夢傳奇> recorded its fourth episode on July 20. Last week, TVB barred the press from covering the third episode, insisting that results of the competition must be kept secret until the official broadcast date. Even overnight sensation Fred Cheng (鄭俊弘), who has earned the name “high score king” due to his well-received performances on the Voice of Stars stage, was not allowed to meet the press.

On Saturday, TVB allowed the media to cover the fourth episode recording, which brought in two new contestants – Corinna Chamberlain (陳明恩) and Grace Wong (王君馨). In the episode, each competing member was required to perform a duet with a celebrity friend. As new contestants, Corinna and Grace did not have the time to prepare for a partner and performed together instead. They chose the competing song, “Amazing Grace.”

Corinna, who was raised in Hong Kong, joked that Grace, who was raised in New York, was even more foreign than herself. Grace agreed and praised Corinna for her strong singing. Both Corinna and Grace had previously worked together in performing gospel songs and they now see each other as friends and supportive competitors.

Fred Sings with Pal Sinn

Fred invited good friend Pal Sinn (單立文), the star of Awfully Lawful <熟男有惑>, to perform with him in the fourth episode. The pair sang The Beatles’ “If I Fell.”

Fred is thankful of Pal for “sacrificing sleep time” to practice and perform the song with him. Having practiced for four nights, Fred and Pal would be singing the song while playing the guitar. As the show’s high score king, did Fred feel extreme pressure to do well? “I don’t know… but I try not to think too much. I just want to use my voice to touch the audience.”

Does he have the confidence to win? “I have confidence in Pal! He changed the arrangement of The Beatles’ song a little big. It’s quieter. He said that I did loud songs in my last few performances. Since we’re going to be playing the guitar, it’s better if the song is quieter, but that almost makes it easier to detect imperfections in the performance.”

Having established artists as contestants, Voice of Stars sets a platform for vocal coaches to be harsher in their critiques. Would judge Eric Kwok (郭偉亮) restrain his criticisms? “No one can change what I say. I will say what is needed to be said. These artists are performing with their hearts. If they can face their gossip and rumors, they can surely face the truth. If they do well, I will praise. If they don’t, I will correct them.”

Rumors say that there would be a resurrection battle towards the end of the competition. Eric said, “I’ve heard of it, but I will be in the United States so I will not be here for it. I will leave on July 24. But I will help out [the show] again when I return.”

Is it true that TVB has fixed Oscar Leung (梁烈唯) to win in the resurrection round? “How are fixed results possible? All of Hong Kong is watching this. You saw what happened – those who performed poorly but still passed the round were heavily criticized [by netizens], but I am really very happy for Fred Cheng. He worked hard for so long. He also has a part in Karma Rider <師父·明白了>.”

Will Eric write a song for Fred? “I do not find the jobs myself, but if he asks, I will help.”

Eric also commented on Oscar’s singing skills, “He is not suitable to be a singer. He’s out of luck there. It’s good that he’s into acting, and he’s a great actor. I want to watch more of his dramas. We are not close personally, but I admire his [courage]. He doesn’t need to compete.”

Source: ihktv.com

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

35 comments to Oscar Leung is Not a Suitable Singer?

1. windy says:

I don’t understand why they are using actors to sing in the show anyway? Shouldn’t they have use non celebs who audition like American Idol? Why actors turn into singers?????

Login or Register before you can reply to windy
    • Kidd replied:

They are using actors to sing in his show because this is a celebrity edition of ‘The Voice’. I’m glad they have this show and let their lesser known/not promoted actors a chance to show their skill.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • windy replied:

Ohhhh, ok that explains it. Celeb edition ok then ahahhaa..LOL… cuz i don’t really watch any of their variety shows so was wondering how come all these stars went into a singing competition all of a sudden. =)

Login or Register before you can reply to windy
  2. TVFAN says:

It’s to promote them, you could call it a TVB artists promotion show.

Login or Register before you can reply to TVFAN
  3. AC says:

I actually liked his first 2 performances, but I definitely think he should stick to acting instead.

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
  4. Sel_fi_wu says:

“those who performed poorly but still passed the round were heavily criticized [by netizens]”

Eric was evidently talking about Oscar. there were lots of backlashes in hk forums for oscar’s poor performances but still able to pass on. glad he got out finally, maybe tvb saw the reviews and stop being lenient at him. wasn’t eric kwok the one who said he’s lenient at oscar because he like oscar in tvb series?

Login or Register before you can reply to Sel_fi_wu
  5. Sel_fi_wu says:

want to watch grace and corinna duet!

Login or Register before you can reply to Sel_fi_wu
  6. Akira says:

If you watched last night’s episode, Alan Tam said that TVB has hidden talents.

If it wasn’t for this show, some of the actors/actresses (eg. Becky Lee, etc.) wouldn’t been exposed to have such great singing talents. Some of the songs exposed that. You also get to know each contestants in-depth besides their “acting” self.

I am not forcing you to agree with me. But I don’t see this as a promotion show. And they did go through behind-the-scene auditions..

Login or Register before you can reply to Akira
  7. Bubblez says:

If they are doing that resurrection battle, I hope Becky Lee gets back into the competition.. 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
  8. azndoraemon says:

I agree with Eric, Oscar is better at acting than singing – He should focus his time in acting.

Login or Register before you can reply to azndoraemon
  9. LUCY says:

I also think that he used his back injury for sympathy! He seems like the type that would do that.

Login or Register before you can reply to LUCY
    • azndoraemon replied:

I support Fred and Moon the most – they are good and authentic personality.

Login or Register before you can reply to azndoraemon
    • AC replied:

I don’t think so.. especially since he just injured it that morning so I assume it would still hurt.

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
    • Cherry replied:

I think it was just hurting. He tried his best to cover the pain, but if it hurts, it hurts. TVB actors are forced to film long hours, so I’m not surprised that he still had to work despite the injury.

Login or Register before you can reply to Cherry
    • Kidd replied:

I disagree. If he’s using his back injury for sympathy, he would be showing a sad and pained face.

But, throughout the show, he was smiling, constantly saying he’s ok, no problem, not painful. In fact, he hid his pain well. He never once mentioned his back pain. It’s the emcees and judges to brought it up.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • Michael replied:

I don’t think he was using it as sympathy but he wasn’t hiding his injury much at all like you say. When he felt pain, he showed it.

Login or Register before you can reply to Michael
  10. Kidd says:

“Is it true that TVB has fixed Oscar Leung (梁烈唯) to win in the resurrection round? “

Can the press stop saying the competition is fixed for Oscar already? It’s getting old and ridiculous already.

It can be seen from these 3 episodes that the grading were fair, both on the audience side and the judges side. The finale will be 100% audience vote. How can TVB pull a win for Oscar with so many strong competitors? Even if server crash and the points go back solely to judges vote, Oscar won’t win.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
    • Jackson replied:

I agree. I think it is fair so far. I enjoy the show.

Login or Register before you can reply to Jackson
    • Bubblez replied:

I also agree with Kidd on this. I hope that in the future, TVB will keep this way of judging.. It was nice and unique to see each judge’s comment. Although, I do wish for the unedited version since hearing their comments is entertaining. 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
      • Kidd replied:

Same here. I also hope to hear all the judges’ comments. One judge get nearly no air time in episode 3. Poor guy.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • Bubblez replied:

I know! Listening to how the judges like it is entertaining especially when they rebuttal each other xD

hehe, they just make the atmopshere great! 😀

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
    • llwy12 replied:

Well, I wouldn’t necessarily say the entire grading was fair, as we only get to see the overall score and also individual scores from some of the judges…there were actually a few individual scores in there that I questioned (and if you analyze it closely enough, you can see the bias of a few of the judges towards certain artists)….and I’ve got some concerns with the audience scores so far as well (if you look at the audience and judges scores, there is a huge gap on some of them, so they are obviously not on the same page in every instance).

And to be honest, I actually feel that Oscar did better in episode 3 than he did in the previous 2 episodes (though in comparisons to the others, his performance did feel more ‘karaoke-ish’). Of course, I still feel he should have been eliminated back in episode 1 AND I still feel he’s not a good singer at all…but at least he tried. He should definitely stick to acting through…

Anyway….I will reiterate again that I’m definitely very happy for Fred and will continue to root for him. So far, with 3 episodes aired and 2 additional episodes recorded, Fred has been able to maintain the highest score for 5 episodes in a row, which definitely isn’t easy (if the results released are true, his score in episode 5 pretty much blew everyone else out of the water)….the fact that he is able to maintain such consistency shows that he truly does have singing talent. Doesn’t matter if he ends up winning or not – I hope TVB does the right thing by him (meaning they put him with a good record company that gives him the opportunity to showcase his singing talent and also release an album).

Login or Register before you can reply to llwy12
      • Kidd replied:

“Well, I wouldn’t necessarily say the entire grading was fair, as we only get to see the overall score and also individual scores from some of the judges…there were actually a few individual scores in there that I questioned (and if you analyze it closely enough, you can see the bias of a few of the judges towards certain artists)”

Well, since the audience and judges are human, of course they have their preferences. I disagree with some of the score given too, but, would I say they are not fair? No.

I disagree with Hacken’s score on Fred and his criticism, and I mentioned that he’s a rigid judge in another post. But, he’s still acting fair because he’s judging according to his own set of criteria (which is different from the more flexible Alan Tam).

“I’ve got some concerns with the audience scores so far as well (if you look at the audience and judges scores, there is a huge gap on some of them, so they are obviously not on the same page in every instance).

If you group the judges that has appeared so far in the show into 2 groups and compare their collective shore, it will also have differences. Different people have different judging criteria.

But, from the score given in the 3 episodes, it can be seen that the good ones get high score from both audience and judges. So, fixing a win for Oscar is near impossible.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
  11. Kidd says:

“but I am really very happy for Fred Cheng. He worked hard for so long. He also has a part in Karma Rider .””

Haha. Eric Kwok is such a great supporter of TVB series. Seems like he watch all of them. Iirc, he’s the one who said he’s a fan of Mandy and Oscar for their Kwan Yi So and Kwan Yi Gor portrayal.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
    • Funn Lim replied:

Perhaps Oscar should stick to acting then?

Anyway he looks all sorts of emoting in the top picture.

Wait! From the comments it seems the entire vehicle for this show is to promote Oscar but it turns out Fred got notice for being the better singer? I also do think Fred is a rather good actor.

• Akira replied:

It’s not :/
      Backy Lee also got exposed to have good singing talents!

Login or Register before you can reply to Akira
  13. Nigel says:

Where can I watch the first part? Can’t seem to download fr anywhere!

Login or Register before you can reply to Nigel
  14. yunfatt says:

his voice is awful. tell him to stop, please….

Login or Register before you can reply to yunfatt
  15. hannahh says:

I like Oscar as an actor not a singer/

Login or Register before you can reply to hannahh
  16. KW says:

Oscar is suck.. Pls dont waste time on him… singing n acting also worst..

Login or Register before you can reply to KW
  17. BLing says:

The picture makes me LOL.

Login or Register before you can reply to BLing
  18. Melvin Emmanuel Chan says:

I thought Corinna Chamberlain is already a recording artist?

Login or Register before you can reply to Melvin Emmanuel Chan
    • Bubblez replied:

I think she’s a freelance singer.
      But if you’re in vancouver area and is interested in seeing her live, she’s the special performer for Sunshine Nation 2013! =)

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
  19. Crystal says:

Off topic, but does anyone know if Nancy Wu will come onto this show?

Login or Register before you can reply to Crystal