JayneStars.com logo

Raymond Wong Enjoys Being an Eunuch

By on October 9, 2012

Raymond Wong Enjoys Being an Eunuch thumbnail

One of TVB’s two upcoming anniversary dramas, The Confidant <大太監>, will premiere in November. The Confidant is a biographical-fiction television drama that centers on a group of eunuchs during the reign of Emperor Tongzhi in the late 1800s Qing Dynasty. Among these main eunuch characters is “Yiu Sheung Hei,” portrayed by Raymond Wong (黃浩然). Yiu Sheung Hei is a eunuch employed in the palace’s medical department who shares a romance with “Princess Shouxi,” portrayed by Aimee Chan (陳茵媺).

Raymond is fascinated by his role in The Confidant. The fact that his role is a eunuch – an identity that Raymond will undoubtedly never take up in his life – is a challenge itself. How would Raymond portray the gender and social ambiguities of a castrated man?

“I had a great time coming up with the preliminary sketches of my character. How will an incomplete man feel when he has fallen in love with a woman? Maybe he will not react biologically, but there is still the heart. How will he come to the consensus that he has indeed fallen in love, and then proceed to marry her? And when a eunuch is getting married, what will he be thinking? I really enjoyed tackling the psychological aspects of this character. It is a great challenge,” said Raymond.

The actor continued, “There is great disparity between Sheung Hei and the princess. Not only is there a social disparity, there is also a biological disparity. These are themes that are rarely explored in television. The Confidant is a tragic drama. We all know that flowers and fruits will not be able to grow in our relationship, but sometimes it is this fact that makes the relationship much more romantic and bittersweet.”

Raymond Wong is a Fan of Costume Dramas

It is not very often to see Raymond in costume dramas. Since joining TVB in 2007, Raymond has only filmed three historical dramas – the Qing-centered Sweetness in the Salt <碧血鹽梟>, Tang-centered Can’t Buy Me Love <公主嫁到>, and The Confidant. Unlike many of his colleagues, who dread filming costume dramas due to the long makeup hours and heavy costumes, Raymond enjoys filming costume dramas the most. In fact, having the chance to wear the iconic traditional robes is a big reason why Raymond prefers costume dramas.

“The costumes are very pretty and extravagant. Along with ancient dialogues, movements, and the environment, this is something that we will never have a chance to experience today. That’s why I really like to portray characters living in the historical times, or during the Republican era.”

A costume drama, according to Raymond, also has a more adjustable market.

“Take mainland China, for example. Due to our different cultures, we sometimes cannot understand the underlying theme in the story lines of their modern dramas, and it is also hard for us to feel any empathy and sympathy for the characters. Costume dramas are different. They do not take place in modern times, so we already share an understanding that their culture is different from ours. That’s why costume dramas tend to be more acceptable from both cultures,” said Raymond.

“Although filming costume dramas are really difficult and time consuming, you will have a huge feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction after completing it. This feeling is incomparable to that of completing a modern drama.

“Of course, another reason why I like filming costume dramas is because you get a chance to go back in time and live in another world,” added Raymond excitedly.

What is Raymond’s favorite costume drama? Raymond immediately said, “Definitely the 1984 version of The Duke of Mount Deer<鹿鼎記>, the one where Tony Leung (梁朝偉) portrays Wei Xiaobao! Tony Leung was very good at bringing this character to life! Wei Xiaobao is a very intelligent and sneaky person. He takes no sides. He has a very colorful personality, and just thinking about that makes me want to portray him! It will be fun! If there’s a chance, I really want to portray a similar character in the future. Of course, the most important thing is that I will have many women around me!” Raymond joked.

Raymond: “Acting is My Only Career”

Raymond was an information technology major student at the Hong Kong Tang King Po College. After graduating from high school, Raymond took up a modeling job in the summer, and was discovered by director Johnnie To (杜琪峯). Raymond said, “My major in college, information technology, was not something I chose. It chose me. I really did not have a target in life. When Johnnie To scouted me and offered me a filming opportunity, I decided to give it a go. Even then, I wasn’t sure if acting was something I wanted to do for a career.”

After performing in several Johnnie To movies, Raymond knew that he had found the right job. “I matured a lot in my first several years of acting. You don’t need just luck to stay in this industry. You have to earn it too. I began to study acting. I grew to love my job more and more, and now it has become impossible for me to switch careers.”

Source: Astro Touch via kuangaitvb.com

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

Tags: , , ,

• Review: "The Confidant" (By Miriamfanz)(21)
  • “The Confidant" Ending Leaves Questions Unanswered(40)
  • Funn's Thoughts: Life and Death in "The Confidant"(20)
  • Funn's Thoughts: Raymond Cho Steals the Show in "The Confidant"(46)
  • Funn's Thoughts: Michelle Yim is a Bland Empress Cixi(41)
  • Characters' Fates in "The Confidant" Revealed(16)
  • Raymond Wong Replaces Bosco Wong in TVB’s “Cheung Po Tsai”(50)
  • Edwin Siu and Raymond Cho Portray Homosexual Couple in “The Five Eunuchs”(22)
  • “The Confidant 2” Currently in Pre-Production(34)
  • Review: "Slow Boat Home" (By Miriamfanz)(7)

• Readers' Comments (43)

1. ping0 says:

I can’t wait for this series to come out, Raymond I know you will rock you role! Just adore him!

2. Mika says:

Watched the Lighting ceremony on Monday and saw Raymond in the little clips of the series. Raymond looks like an very interesting character. Support him all the way ;-)

3. Veejay says:

Raymond Wong is cool, like him.. Hope he will have more and more opportunities coming for him soon.

4. momo says:

The title made me lol
      I think Raymond looks good in ancient dramas~ :)

5. msxie says:

Manchu hats and outfits make him and any man look so unattractive and unsexy.

• Funn Lim says:

Nicky Wu and Kevin Cheng both looked gorgeous.

• HeTieShou says:

That’s not true. Many actors look great in Manchu outfits and head gear. As Funn mentioned, Nicky, Kevin and all of the male cast in BBJX looked nice. However, I would not use the word sexy to describe them.

• anoninhk says:

really??? i love the manchu look on actors. i think it makes them look even more masculine and sexy, although i don’t understand why. i particularly love steven ma in manchu dress, and raymond didn’t look bad in sweetness in the salt. i actually prefer them with a shaved head and a queue over that gay modern hairstyle with the diagonal fringe (bangs) that many actors sported in recent years.

• Yuyu says:

LOL. The man bangs irritate me as well. Is it copying Korean actors? I’m so glad the American and European actors do not sport such hair.

“The fact that his role is a eunuch – an identity that Raymond will undoubtedly never take up in his life – is a challenge itself.”

This sentence itself is insane. So if he plays a blind person does it mean he can blind himself? He is an actor. He can pretend. Insane sentence.

7. Grace says:

This is a good look for him.

8. HeTieShou says:

If I were an actress, I would prefer to act in ancient series too since you get to wear a lot of nice costumes, act in beautiful scenery, and do many other things you just do not get to do if you were acting in a moder drama. Being in a modern drama is easier but is not as exciting.

9. Hannahh says:

Raymond look good in ancient costume!

10. neda says:

Isn’t supposed to be “a eunuch” instead of “an eunuch”. Just because “eunuch” starts with an “e”, doesn’t mean it produces a vowel sound. It’s “yoo-nik”.

11. Fox says:

After watching the trailer of TC, I think Raymond Cho did a way better job than Raymond Wong.

12. Josie says:

Good, I’m glad he’s a eunuch in the series now. B/c then I don’t have to worry about him being taken advantage of by Aimee. :S

Raymond Wong doesn’t look good in manchu look in the sense that he looks sickly and with this head shot, I would have thought him as a midget. Somehow the head shot alone, looking like this made me think of a midget or politically correct term; little people but we all know Raymond is tall guy.

14. Hannah says:

I feel like TVB demoted him back to 2nd lead bc he’s not a managed artist. Hmm…maybe he should consider signing one if it means he’ll get better treatment. Raymond has improved a lot since his movies days.

• Funn Lim says:

This is not a demotion. From what i read, it should be a good and challenging role and he can learn from the better veterans. He doensn’t always need to be the lead in everything. Compared to Sammul Chan, Raymond Wong is treated very well by TVB.

• Hannah says:

Not this series since it’s anniversary series, but his upcoming dramas. That one series with Aimee, which sounds boring. And, he has another one (yet to film) with Sonija and Sunny, I believe.

• ping0 says:

Maybe TVB wants him to sign the 5 year contract, a little hint from TVB? He did well in Bottle Passion , TVB probably don’t want him to outshine they children, who knows heh. I think Raymond look better on screen then in photos, it’s funny that he was a model yet he has only a few nice photos of him.

• Fox says:

Because Raymond Wong’s managed company has really good relationship with Txb, similar to Mr. HimHim the car shake god.

15. Bridget says:

I like Raymond Wong and find this interview very telling about his love for the art of acting and always improving himself. The Confidante sounds interesting as well, will definitely watch!

16. JJ says:

Raymond reminds me of the young Felix Wong, simple, straight-forward, hard working. And has a blue collar quality as his base so he can easily adapt to many roles.

17. Annabelle Chew says:

I don’t really like this series very much or should I say i am totally NOT a fan of costumes drama and my best impression for Raymond Wong is his role in Bottled Passion (我的如意狼君) .. i was so ‘in love’ with his awesome character in that series .. and his
      loyalty to 牛奶糖

18. TVBFanatic says:

I like Raymond… seems like a cool guy. But this is the first I’ve heard of this drama… need to do more digging. Surprised that it is one of the anniversary dramas, I’m usually ontop of that :P

19. happybi says:

Love this guy since his first movie with Andy and Sammi! Good actor and he’s fine looking. =)

20. munkimui says:

i like raymond wong. had a crush on him when i first saw him on films. he looks like a baby. love his nice arms.

Readers are no longer able to comment on this old article.

• JayneStars News Subscription