“Reality Check” Comments on Today’s Spoiled Youth

By on February 27, 2013 in Hot Gossip!, TV Dramas

With familiar television stars Louise Lee (李司棋), Ruco Chan (陳展鵬), and Evergreen Mak (麥長青) leading an ensemble of unfamiliar actors, new TVB drama Reality Check <心路GPS> easily becomes a victim of critical scrutiny. Despite a shaky first week of reviews and reception, Reality Check has become a hotly debated topic among netizens and Hong Kong housewives alike.

Reality Check is the next 2013 television drama, after Inbound Troubles <老表,你好嘢!>, to have a plot that revolves around Hong Kong’s changing society. While Inbound Troubles centered in on the contradictions and tensions between the people of Hong Kong and mainland China, Reality Check chose to discuss about the urban phenomenon of spoiled and overindulging 90s children of Hong Kong.

In Reality Check, creative director, Summer (Ruco Chan), shoots a reality show that documents the experiences of 16-year-old Sky (Hero Yuen 阮政峰) living in a farming village in Qingyuan, Guangdong. Having to live under harsh conditions in a remote location, Sky is reluctant to continue the show.

Ruco Chan, Evergreen Mak, and Priscilla Wong (黃翠如) portray a director, a cameraman, and a production assistant (PA), respectively. Their roles also allow the onscreen actors to grasp a feel of what it means to be part of a professional filming crew.

Evergreen’s Personal Journey

Evergreen admitted that he based the performance of his own role on Reality Check’s own cameramen. “It was even better that they are always on set, as they would always be there when I needed to ask questions. If these professionals believe that I did great on my role, I will be very satisfied!

“I have always respected camera operators because it is a really difficult job. For this drama, I had to carry a 30 to 40 pound camera around for three months, and my respect for them have gone up a level. When we filmed the reality show segments in Qingyuan, I tried shooting a few scenes myself. I am not a professional, so my camera was always out of focus, but thankfully, some of my shoots were useful. These scenes will be shown in the drama.”

Reality Check not only provided Evergreen with technical knowledge, but also personal knowledge. Along the four-month journey of filming Reality Check, Evergreen became close friends with his costars and filming crew. And like the reality show’s Hong Kong youth Sky, Evergreen also began to realize how lucky it was to be raised in Hong Kong.

“When we went on location at some of the villages in Guangdong, I met a 40-year-old woman whose farthest journey away from home was 60 kilometers beyond Yingde City. She has never even been to Guangzhou or Qingyuan! On the other hand, Hong Kong people have been to many places, because we have the privilege to do so. Filming for Reality Check was also a heart journey for us, because it makes us realize how lucky it is to be a Hong Konger,” Evergreen said.

Priscilla Wong’s Debut TVB Drama

Reality Check is Priscilla Wong’s debut television drama. The 31-year-old expressed that filming for Reality Check was not as difficult as she had perceived, being that her role, May, is much like herself.

“My character is raised in a family that favored boys over girls. My father is from Chaozhou, so he prefers boys. My three sisters and I had to rely on each other and word hard. We told ourselves that we must go to university, and we were all very hard working. As for myself, I am also a struggler. As long as I have set goals, I will go all the way to achieve them. My character May always tell herself that she is a cow. I can absolutely relate to that! It is like I am acting myself.”

Ruco Chan on Louise Lee

Surprisingly, Reality Check has been one of Ruco’s hardest dramas to act in recent years. “The producers told us that the goal of the drama is to be able to give the audience a very relaxing feeling. I was worried that the audience would get bored if the our performances were too relaxed, but after watching the first two episodes, I believe that the word ‘relaxing’ is a very suitable term to describe the drama. None of the actors in the drama were acting. They were being their roles. The performances were not only relaxing, but also very comfortable.”

Although the reality show serves as the backbone of the story, Summer’s conflicting relationship with his two mothers, foster mother Chui Wan (Louise Lee) and birth mother Siu Han (Rebecca Chan) is the drama’s main subject.

After The Other Truth <真相>, Ruse of Engagement <叛逃>, and Brother’s Keeper <巨輪>, Reality Check is Ruco and Louise’s fourth collaboration and third drama portraying mother and son.

“I call her my mother now,” said Ruco. “Louise is very kind. She knows about my busy schedule and she often offers me some health pills. I think Louise is the drama’s true female lead. In the story, she loses her husband, has to raise her children single-handedly, and is always surrounded by family conflict. She will also be a gambling addict, and I am able to observe the many levels of Louise’s superb acting. She is known for portraying kind motherly characters, but this role is very different for her. I know she really enjoyed playing this role.”

Reality Check is currently airing on TVB’s Jade, as part of the channel’s third prime-time lineup. With 20 episodes, the drama’s finale is slated to air on March 15.

Source: TVB Magazine #818

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com

• Review: "Reality Check" (By Funn)(56)
  • Review: "Reality Check" (By Miriamfanz)(49)
  • Synopsis of Ruco Chan's “Reality Check”(11)
  • Ending Spoilers for "Reality Check"(32)
  • Ruco Chan at “Heart Road GPS” Costume Fitting(34)
  • TVB Cancels 2020 Sales Presentation(0)
  • New Website Detects Many “Fake Followers” on Hong Kong Celebrity Instagrams(5)
  • Red Carpet Fashion at the TVB’s Jubilee Anniversary Gala(8)
  • Fashion at the 2016 TVB Anniversary Awards(12)
  • Ruco Chan Crowned Singapore’s TV King a Second Time(46)

• 36 comments to “Reality Check” Comments on Today’s Spoiled Youth

So far the series is good. It has an excellent start. The poor families at the village are better actors than some in the company itself, with real enthusiasm and real emotions. However once back in HK the series is now creeping towards the usual TVB fare which is disappointing but acting wise is good. But why does Priscilla Wong look like she is always on the verge of tears?

• jayne replied:

Funn,
        I was wondering if the family that Sky stays with are mainland professional actors? Must be since they have so much screen time and appear so comfortable on screen.

I like Priscilla Wong because she is able to speak her lines well (helps that she was a news caster before), but her emotional scenes are still testy. Her expression is likely her interpretation of her character, which is someone who is desperate to prove herself against her family wishes.

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
        • asdfjkl; replied:

It was mentioned that they are actors from mainland.

Login or Register before you can reply to asdfjkl;
        • Ric replied:

I don’t know about all the actors but the dad should be a HK actor. Just recently saw him in Seasons of Love. He played a security guard.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ric
        • llwy12 replied:

Haha…omg, I noticed the exact same thing -Priscilla comes across to me like she is going to break into tears every time she opens her mouth to say something! To be fair though, I do have to say that for a newbie actress, Priscilla actually isn’t too bad – sure, her acting is raw and I still don’t think she should have such a heavy role in her very first drama series, but so far, she has been tolerable for me….at the very least, she speaks with clarity and I’m able to understand what she says without having to rely on subtitles (unlike a few of the pageant winning actresses that TVB has been trying to push in our faces recently…). Oh and I haven’t had the urge to skip all of her scenes in the series (like I had been doing with those other actresses whom I couldn’t understand a single word they say) – that right there is already a good sign.

Agreed that the village segment was refreshing and definitely the best part of the series so far — there were a few scenes that I was actually able to connect to on an emotional level, which has been rare for me in recent years with TVB series. All the Mainland artists who participated in the village segment were awesome (which I think also rubbed off on the regular cast too cuz they did a pretty good job in that segment as well). I’m also a bit disappointed with the predictability of the storyline after the return to HK (standard TVB fare), but in a sense, I’m not surprised because I already anticipated things would head in that direction given the summaries and such that I had read.

If I do decide to continue on with this series, it will definitely be because of Ruco as well as Louise, Rebecca, and Evergreen because they’re great actors/actresses who always manage to pull off fine performances. As long as the storyline doesn’t get too ridiculous, then I’m ok with it.

Lastly…my god, please get rid of that Chloe girl!! She is SUPER ANNOYING!!! I swear, if I hear her whine “Ah Bbbbbbb” one more time, I am seriously going to throw something at the TV! LOL!

Login or Register before you can reply to llwy12
      • miriamfanz replied:

Yeah, the rural village scenes were enjoyable but now back in HK, it’s just like any other TVB drama.

I wonder which scenes were actually filmed by Evergreen?

Login or Register before you can reply to miriamfanz
        • doris lee replied:

I love this drama especially Ruco Chan. His acting has tremendously improving.

Login or Register before you can reply to doris lee
      • ita replied:

I think Priscilla has that type, crying face. That’s why I think she always look like in the verge of crying.

Login or Register before you can reply to ita
      • GPS replied:

I love watching Priscilla Wong on screen. I’ve watched her host the show Life on Horizon and thought she was beyond hilarious. Brutally honest yet remains charismatic. She’s still green in acting but I hope her personality never changes. Hard to to find actors true to self nowadays. I wish her the best of luck on her debut drama!

Login or Register before you can reply to GPS
        • GPS replied:

sory didn’t mean charismatic.

Login or Register before you can reply to GPS
      • llwy12 replied:

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the actor who has left the deepest impression on me so far is Hero Yuen (is that really his English name?). His acting was so natural in the first 5 episodes and even though he only shows up for a few minutes in episode 7, that was enough for him to steal the show (for me at least). Also loved his interaction with his ‘dad’ Law Lok Lam (another of my favorite veteran actors) in those scenes at their home!

Login or Register before you can reply to llwy12
        • Norika replied:

yes me too, Hero is outstanding. I can see the chemistry between Hero and his dad Law Lok Lam. Not only Law Lok Lam also with Ruco and Stanley too.

Login or Register before you can reply to Norika
    2. miss unknown says:

OMG! Sounds good! I actually like drama like this, and I actually have the priviledge to travel to China last summer and stay at several villages to conduct studies, I have to agree that I am very fortunate. The picture of the ladies up in the Great Wall trying to sell just one picture to us, but she follow us for 8 miles and walk back and she stays there overnight…it’s really heartbreaking…

Login or Register before you can reply to miss unknown
    3. sushiroll says:

I’m up to episode 7 it think. i can so predict whats gonna happen next. louise is gonna lose all her money due to her son and daughter’s greediness and she’ll be left clinging onto ruco, that newbie chick will get thrown frogs at her cause they borrowed money from some shady company, evergreen will divorce his wife cause she can’t stand the old farts, priscilla is gonna fall in love with ruco…….

Login or Register before you can reply to sushiroll
      • miriamfanz replied:

But somehow everything will work out in the end for a happy ending…

Login or Register before you can reply to miriamfanz
        • sushiroll replied:

which is so ironic cause the name of the film is “reality check”.

Login or Register before you can reply to sushiroll
      • Funn Lim replied:

My prediction, and I heard Louise will be a gambleholic so on that basis

– Ruco’s real mom will move in to be her friend in times of need
        – Ruco will chastise the real children who earlier on want to sort of take advantage of their mother who will then learn they’re wrong and help the mother
        – hopefully the spineless son will get rid of that annoying koala bear or maybe she will turn out to be a nice girl when son decided to side the mother
        – Ruco falls for Priscilla who heals the rift between mother and son
        – Evergreen’s wife will have an affair and run away, maybe with or without the daughter who learns to be more respectful

The series is called Reality Check but in the end is a call for youngsters to be more respectful to their elders.

4. clover says:

Really enjoyed the scene between Ruco and Louise. Love the eye movements and delicate facial expression of Ruco.

Login or Register before you can reply to clover
      • llohh replied:

Agree. He’s great.

Login or Register before you can reply to llohh
    5. rosaliebeef says:

Is it just me or Ruco looks super hot in the picture above lol? 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to rosaliebeef
      • Norika replied:

agree 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to Norika
      • col replied:

Totally agree, didn’t even know it was him 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to col
      • michaelscotfield replied:

DEFINITELY NOT ONLY YOU hahaha…
        when i saw the pic of this article, i was like WOW WOW WOW ahha… I havent started this series yet but i think i should already. He has always been good looking thou but this pic he just looks super hot. haha lol.. n esp next to that bun, omg what a great shot haha..

Login or Register before you can reply to michaelscotfield
    6. Lucia says:

In this serie, Ruco looks so masculine in sleeves shirt. Priscilla resembles Myolie’s sister.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lucia
    7. Lucia says:

I like this serie with a fresh story and pairing.

Yeah, Ruco looks handsome in the picture above.

It looks like Priscilla has a nose job.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lucia
    8. Hannah says:

Ruco looks fine in the pic above, lol

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
    9. rosemary says:

like this series, especially the refined acting n interaction of Ruco n Louise. well done!

Login or Register before you can reply to rosemary
    10. Clementine says:

I’m just wondering..where did Priscilla Wong come from? Was she from Tbb’s acting class or something? I’ve never seen her before.

Login or Register before you can reply to Clementine
      • rosemary replied:

She was from NOW TV.

Login or Register before you can reply to rosemary
    11. Haha says:

Can anyone see the resemblance between Sky/Hero and Wooyoung from 2PM??

Login or Register before you can reply to Haha
    12. Joanne says:

Priscilla Wong is 31 years old?? I thought she was in the 90’s?

Login or Register before you can reply to Joanne
    13. Azndoraemon says:

Finally an okay TVB drama for once. But of course typical storyline where I can predict the whole series after watching only a few episodes.

I enjoyed most watching the rural villages scenes. The family’s acting is so real… I thought they were related as a family.

The new to be daughter in-law is super annoying – oh i hate her whiny voice and acting skill.

Login or Register before you can reply to Azndoraemon
    14. AC says:

The series is not bad so far. I liked the first 5 episodes of the village scene, but it was all very predictable. I’m really liking that new kid Hero Yuen- he has a natural charisma about him.

I also like Ruco, Louise, and Evergreen in this series. Priscilla is not bad in the first few episodes when she’s a PA and interviewing different people for the cameras, but needs work when acting in other scenes. Also, she is so pale!

However, if I have to hear “Ah B” one more time, I will scream.

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
    15. ebbie says:

OMG… is that Ruco in this pic?
      Looks so attractive!!!
      Great Pic!

Login or Register before you can reply to ebbie
    16. emily says:

Ruco looks very handsome and fit indeed, the sunglasses is a perfect match, very charming guy!

Login or Register before you can reply to emily
    17. Veejay says:

I thought Priscilla Wong is in her early 20s? Never knew she’s already 31..

Login or Register before you can reply to Veejay