[TV Commentary] “Eye in the Sky” Episodes 18 and 19
Eye in the Sky <天眼>
TVB Drama 2015
Executive Producer: Catherine Tsang
Genre: Crime Thriller
Number of Episodes: 20
Cast: Kevin Cheng, Ruco Chan, Tavia Yeung, Tony Hung, Vivien Yeo
The following is not a recap but a commentary on the particular episode in the title. Major spoilers and Ruco Chan-love alert. Originally posted at www.point2e.com.
EPISODES 18 and 19
Eyecandy pic of the day. Whoever did this is a genius. Never knew they had same face until now.
Except for the waste of space that is Tavia’s father and the unimaginably annoying woman that is Shallow Jan, wow this episode is what Eye In The Sky should have been! That annoying woman; how many ways can Kevin tell her to really get lost? Now he saying “I don’t want your presence to aggravate him!” and Samantha and Tavia dare to wonder why men do everything for their “brothers”.
But in light of the fact I saw ep 19, I can’t pity him much. Yes in ep 18 Kevin in trying to protect Ruco did the opposite of his principle; he did not arrest Ruco. When Ruco came running out after a fierce gunfight with the blind man, he got into Kevin’s car and got into one epic fight which ended with Kevin giving Ruco the “The Amazing Scissors Leg” style which any fan of Stephen Chow will know what I mean. It wasn’t funny. Ruco fought hard but it was Tavia who helped to get his hands into a handcuff, thus sealing his hatred for her. They looked him up, Kevin saying this is to stop him from committing more crimes (no specifics, just crimes although murder will be an intended crime) and Tavia agreed which made Ruco shout “Shut up bitch! You think he loves you? Nooooo I love you. He is only using you because he is jealous of me since I got you first! He is only using you!” which she didn’t believe and left as Ruco is chained to the wall, hands and legs. Ruco shouted “If I can’t have you, no one can!! You will see! I will get you someday! You hear me?! I WILL GET YOU ONE OF THESE DAYS!!!”
Kevin then went to see Tony to ask him for help, to save Ruco’s soul and Tony wanted to prove to Samantha that he is a changed man decided to help. But first they went to see Ruco who by now looked mighty desperate and he sneered “I am your brother!! Not him!! I have always helped you, no questions asked. But now you betrayed me again and again and again” which prompted Tony to cry, go down on his knees and beg “Gala, I beg you, stop being so stubborn. Stop thinking so negatively. We are all trying to help you, I am your best friend in life, I am trying to save you” and Ruco sneered “You… are… no.. long… a ….friend…of…mine!” and Tony left distressed but determined to help.
He became a bait. Kevin used Ruco’s phone to call the blind man to scare him and blind man kidnapped Tony and beat him up badly and used him as bait to lure Ruco except he lured Kevin who knew exactly where Tony was being kept (P/s being a cop again meant he could easily force his way in) to the blind man’s shock. But the vault is empty until Kevin shot the seemingly empty space and it was actually a mirror and everything is there, including Tony but blind man tried to run. Long story short, Kevin caught him, didn’t kill him and became a hero.
Meanwhile Ruco woke up and found himself on a boat and a few hours away from reaching Vietnam and he screamed “SZETO SHUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”. My question is did he kill the boatman?
Kevin felt weird and then had huge headache and then he found out why. Ruco jumped into the sea and escaped. Kevin looked worried.
And I imagined evil eye Ruco swimming to HK and smirking I WILL GET YOU!!!!
And there I was thinking what a way to save someone; by chaining them to wall and throw them out of the country! Kevin and Tony sincerely thought if they can get Kong Wui Hoi the bad blind man first, the object of Ruco’s hatred, they can save his soul from a crime (like murder). Hey if someone wants to kill Hitler, I will say why not eh? Of course this is a moral story so Ruco can’t be allowed to do that. I get the sacrifice of Kevin who when Tony said he will never betray his brother, retorted “You’re his blood brother or am I? You think I want to hurt him? HE IS MY BROTHER!!”. Tavia and gang of course lamented what is it with men and saving their brothers, the burden of their lives. Well Tavia and friends, this episode can be titled “He ain’t heavy, he’s my brother”.
Oh and a stupid subplot about Tavia’s dad which I am not bothered with.
Ep 18 heightened the tension and was in most part sort of masterful in that. The desperation of Kevin well done, especially as he got the credit for being a great cop for arresting the blind man a famous thief, sort of like a hero, he felt guilty. He remembered his vow when he became a cop and in trying to save Ruco, he sacrificed his most valuable asset; his principle. Earlier he was even prepared to sacrifice his career and wanted to resign but no chance.
Acting was mostly wonderful but you get that feeling any more drama is expected of Kevin, he will not make the cut.
Ep 19 explains that quite well and worse, ep 19 undone everything masterful in ep 18 and the story is going from WTH to WTF.
For most of ep 19 we have 3 story arc;
1. Tony and Samantha’s happy ending and impending wedding. Not much to tell except because of the ending, for sure the wedding won’t go on
2. Shallow Jan becomes so shallow she is basically a dry well. Standing before her or rather walking aimlessly before her was Kevin looking like he over exercised, took drugs, never slept and haunted by the spirits ALL AT THE SAME TIME and all she can see is how to hold his hands, ask him to movies, how to confess her love and get him to love her back, and of course did notice something was very wrong when he started saying he saw Ruco everywhere and pushed her and shouted at her. Basically 360 degrees turn in character and only then she suggested he goes to the hospital and when he refused and told her to get lost, what did she do? She actually left!! Then later at night said her worried to Samantha and Samantha says love means you gotta be thick skinned… sorry I meant brave and she vowed no matter what she will wait for him to wake up! What about like dragging him to a doctor when you know that’s not how he normally behaves. See? Head in the clouds, absolutely shallow Jan. I don’t even care what happened to her in the end because to me this episode failed because it is not done enough.
3. Ruco coming back apologising profusely, saying as he drifted in the sea and thought about things, he realised they all love him and he was wrong and begged for forgiveness, Tony naturally believed him. Tavia believed him even more when he gave his blessing to her and Kevin. Kevin? Not one bit. He said he had telepathy link with Ruco and he can feel his rage which was increasing. He had weird dreams, like Ruco with knife and stabbing motion and in the end he had insomnia, clouding his judgment. No one believed him, more so when Ruco cried before the place Law Lan died and his parents were told the truth and forgiven him. Kevin was paranoid, feeling Ruco was watching him. Both were forced to see a doctor for being insomniac together and Ruco took Kevin’s pill to reassure him. Kevin took the sleeping pills. But Ruco vomited his and frankly we all know he was faking his goodness especially when he cried for forgiveness from Hor Yee Ku. Anyway as Kevin slept, Tavia was in a hotel waiting for tomorrows wedding and in bed when quite scarily someone dressed like Kevin appeared, face covered, grabbed Tavia’s neck and plunge a knife into her stomach!!!
No don’t worry, she didn’t die. But she should have and this is where this series defies explanation.
For a man with so much rage, he was rather lenient on Tavia. Any murderous angry jealous jerk would have repeatedly stab her. Criminal Minds will show him raping her, personally or otherwise to give it a sexual angle. TVB? 1 stab. So hate her but stabbed her just once. I’d rather see a frenzy violent attack on Tavia because that makes perfect sense with Ruco’s state of mind then.
Anyway Kevin was accused of attempted murder and immediately Kevin punched Ruco, saying he knew it was Ruco who did it. Ruco cried “We are twins, so we share same DNA but your fingerprints were there, not mine!”
Anyway police (not Madam Chik) interrogate him with glee and basically all evidence point to him but seriously, the motive? If the police had stopped believing the eye in the sky 100% and investigated properly, Kevin wouldn’t have gone through 2 major criminal charges; one arson, two attempted murder or something.
As for Ruco, he injected himself with something to make himself stay awake. He knows his telepathic link with Kevin means Kevin will suffer from what he is suffering. He made Kevin lose his sense. My question is how come it is only Kevin feeling Ruco and not the other way around?
Throughout the drama, all I can think of is how beautiful Ruco’s blue shirt was. Best fashion in this series goes to whoever clothed Ruco. That blue shirt was an amazing addition.
Acting wise, almost flawless although Ruco was obviously pretending, Tavia is wasted and Kevin…. such bad acting. He looks more like a drug addict than a guy who swam back from Vietnam and almost drowned! The paranoia part of his story for me batardised his character and steers this story into “Any plot device also can as long as it is nice” territory. I didn’t know what I was watching. It felt like Eye In The Sky never had an identity and never bothered to find one. And Kevin’s wide eyed frowning lip biting pouting and eye opened as bit as you can in school of dramatic acting is just silly.
Tavia should have died a violent meaningless death. That would explain Ruco’s rage, his descend into non-redemption (a one way ticket straight to hell) and subsequent Kevin’s actions and how desperate it all seems. Since she won’t die, she will probably wake up wanting to be with Kevin who will reject her because of guilt. No happy ending I hope. When she didn’t, I feel this series’ gone soft.
One more episode till the end. I have already gotten ready with my recommendation for this series.
Anyway let’s wait for the last episode.
By the way if TVB remakes My Love From Another Star or the Doo Min Joon/Cheon Seong Yi show, I recommend Ruco become the sociopath chaebol brother;
Narrower eyes and best suits and Ruco is game to go!!
A FOLLOW UP
How Kevin knew where Tony was and how to get into the vault?
He planted (surgically) and rather large camera lense into somewhere in Tony’s head. Can’t be forehead, can see it obviously, I didn’t see eyelids and all so I am not sure where. Should have been a contact lense.
However did Ruco manage to swim back to HK?
He held on to some dinghy whatever and floated for days, almost drowned. That was his version. We won’t ever know.
Why did Kevin throw Ruco to Vietnam?
Seriously no idea. I suppose to get him as far away as possible from HK.
Does Ruco feel the link with Kevin?
So far all indications point to NO.
How did Ruco get into Tavia’s room in the hotel?
A bit of creative writing considering HK building and the height. A better question is how come he got shot in Y Suite Hotel and he still manages to run out unnoticed.
Has Tavia ever loved Ruco?
THAT scene was repeated a few times when she thought Ruco was Kevin and now in place of that scene, you get the repeated “Kevin being asked to go for movies with Tavia scene”. Hotness level like down a lot!
Why do they all think catching Kong Wui Hoi will help Ruco?
Because they thought by taking out the object of his hatred, he would be calmer, happier. Truth is Ruco is someone who knows how to keep and nurture a grudge so they’re all doomed to fail.
What happened to that diamond necklace?
Confiscated by police and forever lost in the department called “Writers forgot”.
Who on earth is Kong Wui Hoi?
International thief of some unknown syndicate. Why not name it Scaredy Bird (like in Ruse Of Engagement)?!
What happened to Kong Wui Hoi?
Had a heart attack in court and died. Ruco did not smile since his target of hatred has changed.
- [TV Commentary] “Eye in the Sky” Episodes 1 to 3
- [TV Commentary] “Eye in the Sky” Episode 4
- [TV Commentary] “Eye in the Sky” Episode 5
- [TV Commentary] “Eye in the Sky” Episode 6
- [TV Commentary] “Eye in the Sky” Episode 7
- [TV Commentary] “Eye in the Sky” Episode 8
- [TV Commentary] “Eye in the Sky” Episode 9
- [TV Commentary] “Eye in the Sky” Episode 10
- [TV Commentary] “Eye in the Sky” Episode 11
- [TV Commentary] “Eye in the Sky” Episode 12 and 13
- [TV Commentary] “Eye in the Sky” Episode 14
- [TV Commentary] “Eye in the Sky” Episode 15
- [TV Commentary] “Eye in the Sky” Episode 16 and 17
This commentary is written by Funn Lim, a Contributing Writer at JayneStars.com and was originally posted at www.point2e.com.