Derek Wong Parodies William Chan’s Chanel Ad

By on May 29, 2019 in NEWS

Derek Wong Parodies William Chan’s Chanel Ad

Hong Kong artist Derek Wong (黃建東) has done it again! The actor, who experienced a surge in popularity after his comedic Cantonese version of Japanese song “PPAP” went viral in 2016, returned with another spoof today. This time, he created a parody of William Chan‘s (陳偉霆) new Chanel watch ad.

In the original commercial, William flaunted his English and smiled brightly as he talked about time. While some netizens thought he was charming, others ridiculed his English pronunciation. Despite the mixed response, William was able to create noise for the campaign.

Derek saw the opportunity for a great video and made his own version of the ad. He imitated William and spoke in English, talking about how he debuted in the entertainment industry, and bursting out in laughter at times. Derek sprinkled Cantonese phrases throughout the video, such as, “I ding (microwave) my lunch box,” “I hug my goo ma (aunt),” and “Go yum cha (drink tea) with her.”

Speaking in English was not a challenge for Derek because he previously studied in America. Netizens thought his parody was hilarious and left comments like, “So good, I really like your spoofs! Better than the original” and “I keep replaying it.”

When Derek accepted a phone interview, he said the last time he filmed a parody was two years ago. “I wanted to be an actor, but I realized there weren’t many opportunities for me. In fact, for the past two years, Wong Cho Lam (王祖藍), Grace Wong (王君馨), and others kept on urging me to film videos again. They said my clips are the most valuable, so when I saw that William’s video was quite funny and simple, I made my own version,” Derek revealed.

However, he stressed that he was not making fun of William, and added that filming took six hours.

Source: Oncc

This article is written by MelodyC for JayneStars.com.

37 comments to Derek Wong Parodies William Chan’s Chanel Ad

1. orchid123 says:

Derek Wong’s English is a lot better, more fluent and with less Hong Kong accent, and his video is more entertaining and funny.

Derek also looked better than William in the above photos.

Login or Register before you can reply to orchid123
    • happybi replied:

@orchid123 agree. He does look better in photo above. But then I don’t find william apealing.

Login or Register before you can reply to happybi
  2. wm2017 says:

Gosh! I didn’t really find that funny.

Login or Register before you can reply to wm2017
    • littlefish replied:

@wm2017 the funny thing is making the “time” funny :”)

Login or Register before you can reply to littlefish
    • hohliu replied:

@wm2017 I personally find it rude and off putting….I like copycats….
      This parody is so annoying…

Login or Register before you can reply to hohliu
      • wm2017 replied:

@hohliu I am glad I wasn’t the only one who thought so. I did not find any of it funny.

Login or Register before you can reply to wm2017
      • hohliu replied:

@wm2017 me too, I cannot even bear to watch half the video. this Derek is just trying to jump on the William bandwagon to get attention…. Nothing funny about his parody.

Login or Register before you can reply to hohliu
  3. aplha123 says:

Maybe Chanel should consider him. no doubt he’s better than WC

Login or Register before you can reply to aplha123
    • prettysup1 replied:

@aplha123 Too bad Chanel doesn’t choose its ambassadors based on their English accent, Derek who ??

Login or Register before you can reply to prettysup1
  4. hohliu says:

Goodness, if Chanel wants to engage a better speaker, they will still never pick a copycat like Derek.
    William is original, he is hugely popular in China and Hongkong. He has great fashion sense and he is very cool and looks tons better looking too.
    Chanel dont need copycats that climb on others to get famous.
    Why pick a copy when they can afford a One of a kind original?
    They have better sense then those that even suggest Derek is a better representative of their brand….
    Goodness, you got to be kidding.
    A copy will always be as known a copy. Copies are for those cannot afford Original.

Login or Register before you can reply to hohliu
    • wm2017 replied:

@hohliu LOL….HK people probably find parodies funny and cute but I always find them stupidly childish and juvenile. haha…I still remember how they did a parody on PSY’s The Gangnam Style. I was thinking WTF? haha lol….
      They criticized on WC’s English when this imitator says like ” I ding my lunch? ” & Yum Chai w/my Gu Ma? My goodness!! lol…I am sorry! I didn’t find any of it funny.

Login or Register before you can reply to wm2017
      • hohliu replied:

@wm2017 So parodies are created out of respect towards the original.This video above does not demonstrate that at all.

Login or Register before you can reply to hohliu
      • prettysup1 replied:

@hohliu Those HK haters are just so pissed off that William is so immensely popular in mainland China now and getting the attention of international brands. How often do you see an Asian face on a Chanel ad haha…

Login or Register before you can reply to prettysup1
      • littlefish replied:

@prettysup1 they are not the first though, LV has kris wu’s face on their major poster in Australia! So if anything, Chanel is just following the trend! Expect to see more asian face on famous designer brands.

Login or Register before you can reply to littlefish
      • prettysup1 replied:

@littlefish Yeah we will see more faces of those who work hard rather than those who put themselves on the radar at the expense of making fun of others.

Login or Register before you can reply to prettysup1
      • jimmyszeto replied:

William pronounces the T sound like a D. Maybe he is doing this on purpose because he is representing China. Would be worthless if he speaks with American accent when he isn’t representing the USA. Well..either that or his English pronunciation is crap….

Login or Register before you can reply to jimmyszeto
      • hohliu replied:

@prettysup1 Agreed. He did well for himself. He is a hardworking chap. I am happy for him.

Login or Register before you can reply to hohliu
  5. anon says:

I only made it half way – so cringe-worthy.

Login or Register before you can reply to anon
    • hohliu replied:

@anon LOL, agreed, Me too. William English may not be fluent but it is so naturally him. I enjoy watching his video.
      It shows he is not pretending.

Login or Register before you can reply to hohliu
      • jimmyszeto replied:

@hohliu
        He is not pretending? Look at that smile…

Login or Register before you can reply to jimmyszeto
      • hohliu replied:

@jimmyszeto I have seen him smile often like that …it is his natural smile. But, I am not here to change your opinion, I am just voicing mine.

Login or Register before you can reply to hohliu
  6. jcc10 says:

I don’t get all the people hating on William.. he’s not fluent in English and has an accent, whats wrong with that? I understood him perfectly with an accent.

Login or Register before you can reply to jcc10
  7. jlyl says:

In Chanel ad, William Chan resembles The Joker.

Login or Register before you can reply to jlyl
    • snoopy replied:

@jlyl I’m glad Im not the only who thinks the William’s chanel ad is creepy. William’s Chan’s smile and laugh in the ad really creeps me out…..was he high on drugs…

Login or Register before you can reply to snoopy
  8. mike says:

Derek Wong used to make these racist videos by coloring his skin dark and using the stereotypical accents. He’s an ass.

Login or Register before you can reply to mike
    • prettysup1 replied:

@mike Gosh no wonder he does not have much acting opportunities, I won’t want to hire such a person. It is appalling there are people who find him funny.

Login or Register before you can reply to prettysup1
    • hohliu replied:

@mike Did he really? I dont even know him. If he really made so videos, I am glad I find him a cringe worthy.

Login or Register before you can reply to hohliu
  9. jimmyszeto says:

Credit goes Derek for effort in putting himself on the radar. That’s how struggling celebs should use the web to boost their popularity. Derek’s smile is natural. William’s smile looks like he has had botched jaw surgery…

Login or Register before you can reply to jimmyszeto
    • hohliu replied:

@jimmyszeto Whatever….

Login or Register before you can reply to hohliu
      • wm2017 replied:

@hohliu Lol…That is his real smile and laugh. The only series I watched was Age of Legends and that’s how he laughed in the series and even in bloopers that was his natural smile and even thou it might sound creepy to some it is his real laugh. haha lol… I actually like his laugh as he has really good white teeth and I thought he looks better when he laughs. lol but that’s just me thou….

Login or Register before you can reply to wm2017
      • hohliu replied:

@wm2017 And me…I like his laugh and smile too.

Login or Register before you can reply to hohliu
    • orchid123 replied:

@jimmyszeto Ha ha ……. I felt the same about their smile.

Login or Register before you can reply to orchid123
  10. linda says:

Why so much hate on this guy? I’m a fan of William, but I found this so funny!

Maybe sense of humour in Asia vs. in western countries is different after all!

Login or Register before you can reply to linda
    • hohliu replied:

@linda Because this guy like making fun of others.
      Making racist videos by coloring his skin dark and using the stereotypical accents.
      You can continue to like him, that is your rights…but I hate copycats that ride on others to get attention. That is my choice.

Login or Register before you can reply to hohliu
      • linda replied:

@hohliu I didn’t say that I liked him, I just said that this particular video was done well parody-style! I don’t know who he is, and definitely not going to attempt to read a whole news article on him! Thinking this video was funny doesn’t diminish my liking for William, I don’t think it is a choose-one-or-the-other thing! Racism is always bad in every way, but again, not interested in him, I don’t know who he is!

Login or Register before you can reply to linda
  11. mi520 says:

English is better than William’s, despite slurring his “30.” If he is really trying to flaunt his English, he better speak everything clearly, or I’d pick every single word LOL

Honestly, he may stress that he’s not trying to make fun of William, but the point that he posted a parody now with all the criticism going on, it’s hard to believe him.

Login or Register before you can reply to mi520
    • linda replied:

@mi520 I mean it’s kind of obvious he’s slurring on purpose, it’s a parody.

Login or Register before you can reply to linda