Joey Meng Keeps an Open Mind at Work and at Home

By on June 20, 2013 in NEWS

Besides her 42-inch long legs, luck and attitude also contributed to a large part of Joey Meng’s (萬綺雯) success within the entertainment industry. Her journey began when she joined the 1989 Miss Asia Pageant at the age of 18 and emerged as the first runner-up. “I’m a Buddhist, and I believe in karma. I also believe that heaven blesses those with kindness. However, that doesn’t mean you won’t be put through challenges.”

Transferring into TVB from ATV for only a year, Joey has already successfully completed three dramas – Inbound Troubles <老表, 你好嘢!>, A Change of Heart <好心作怪>, and Gilded Chopsticks <食為奴>. Most importantly, she won the audience’s favor with her roles in both Inbound Troubles and the currently broadcast A Change of Heart. Reportedly, Joey has a higher yield than top fadans such as Linda Chung (鍾嘉欣) and Kate Tsui (徐子珊).

Towards her career, Joey prefers to leave everything up to fate. “I always think I receive more when I don’t calculate, especially when life can’t be calculated. I graduated high school and worked in a bridal shop for three months before entering the industry. At the time, I had no experience at all. When I observed the ups and downs in the lives of those around me, I was thinking, ‘So what if I receive something I fought for? So what if I don’t?’ The most important thing is I tried my best. If I did just that, I would at least have a group of friends who enjoy working with me even if I don’t have anything else. As for viewership ratings, it depends on an opportune moment.”

Joey treats everyone around her in the same manner, whether they are executives or security guards. The props workers, stylists, and janitors at TVB all have a good relationship with her. “I don’t feel like I’m a special person. I’m an actress, but also a wife. When my husband wants to eat at food stalls in the streets, I go with him. I also go grocery shopping with my mother and hold the bags for her. There’s no reason to call for an assistant. I try my best to be whoever I am in each situation and it allows everyone to be comfortable. There are no hard feelings that way.”

On set, Joey is known to have good work ethics. No matter how early filming starts, she never arrives late. “Being on time shouldn’t be a compliment, because it’s part of my duty. When another actor is late, the crew would sit there and wait. Of course, I can’t require everyone to be on time. At ATV, I experienced turning off my alarm in the morning and continuing to sleep because I was just too tired. That’s why I won’t blame others when they’re late, since I believe they don’t mean to have me wait for them.”

In her spare time, Joey enjoys staying home to draw and spend time with her six beloved cats. “The animal world is very happy and simple. You pet them and feed them, and they’ll stick around with you. Human life should be simple as well. For instance, I need my world to be full of love. I tend to forget those who I don’t love, because what’s the point? It’s not like those people are my husband and I have to face them every day. Why not let everything go? When I keep a joyous attitude, those around me will be happy when they see me.”

Source: ihktv.com

This article is written by Shirley for JayneStars.com.

• Review: "A Change of Heart" (By Miriamfanz)(14)
  • "A Change of Heart" Finale(53)
  • "A Change of Heart" Sees High Ratings During Final Week(29)
  • Benjamin Yuen Denies He Has a Girlfriend(12)
  • Mandy Wong, Joey Meng, and Vincent Wong Promote "A Change of Heart"(27)
  • Joey Meng: "I Am Not an Ambitious Person"(24)
  • Joey Meng Suffered Emotional Anxiety from Filming “A Change of Heart”(26)
  • "A Change of Heart" Synopsis(55)
  • Joey Meng Turns Down TVB Management Contract(30)
  • Joey Meng Laughs at Her Husband’s Infertility Jokes(36)

• 33 comments to Joey Meng Keeps an Open Mind at Work and at Home

1. Michael says:

I seriously think she looks wayyy hotter now than when she was in ATV. Move aside, 鍾嘉欣 and 徐子珊. BTW, its been rumoured 鍾嘉欣 is not nice to people behind camera, anyone know if its true?

Login or Register before you can reply to Michael
      • Daisy replied:

It’s possible that its true since she could fake it, but I don’t think so no artists ever spoke out about her. Everyone always say she’s a humble girl no one ever had a problem with her. (Well so far)

Login or Register before you can reply to Daisy
      • UNI replied:

Linda Chung has known to be a down to earth girl. Steven Ma complimented his friend numerous times saying how she isn’t suitable for the mainland industry because she’s too naive and her pushover nature. If anything, I think it would be more believable if you said Kate Tsui was not as nice. She’s known to be a party girl, hang out with mainly guys that club a lot e.g. Ron Ng. Of course I’m just generalizing.

Login or Register before you can reply to UNI
        • Victoria replied:

Kate Tsui is really hard-working. She is also humble since she was very satisfied with the “My Favorite Character” award as well. It took her many years before the audience accepted her and even voted her for that. I don’t see how a humble person could be mean, in general.

Login or Register before you can reply to Victoria
        • Gabby replied:

well, I think Kate hang out with guys duo to her tomboyish personality not because of the party thing. I read somewhere that Kate doesn’t smoke and doesn’t like to drink, it’s not fit in the party girl catalogue in my opinion

Login or Register before you can reply to Gabby
      • sure-lee replied:

I’ve only heard in an interview with Ha Yu that linda is a quiet girl and while filming for moonlight resonance, she sat in one corner to do her own stuff while raymond/moses/tavia/fala, etc. fooled around LOL. Don’t think anyone said Linda was mean or anything tho.

Login or Register before you can reply to sure-lee
      • AC replied:

I’ve actually never heard anything about Linda being mean. In fact, I always hear about how sweet and innocent she actually is.

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
      • sheldon replied:

It can be possible. Linda can definitely fake the innocent onscreen. Off screen are peoples’ real identity

Login or Register before you can reply to sheldon
      • HeTieShou replied:

None of us knows for sure since you can know a person your whole life and still not know them well. All we can do is guess with celebs and public figures and sometimes we are right and sometimes not.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • Karen Ko replied:

I have never seen her at ATV, but ashe’s good and I think she will be very popular soon. She’s pleasnt looking and acts good!

Login or Register before you can reply to Karen Ko
        • Kidd replied:

You should check out her classic series ‘My Date with A Vampire’ if you have the change. Ma Siu Ling is her most popular role to date.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
        • sky replied:

she’s also in Who’s the winner 1,2,3..

Login or Register before you can reply to sky
    2. softrice says:

鍾嘉欣 is the nicest person in the world!

Login or Register before you can reply to softrice
    3. happybi says:

Always like Joey so really happy to see she is adjusting well at TVB! Wishing her continue success for sure!

As for Linda Chung.. my sister-in-law met her in person before and said she is a very nice person.. but said she is not as pretty in person as she slouch a lot.

Login or Register before you can reply to happybi
      • sheldon replied:

Well, what can artist do infront of people, of course they have to be nice

Login or Register before you can reply to sheldon
    4. UNI says:

She’s so pretty! SHe looks like she’s in her late 20’s not 40s

Login or Register before you can reply to UNI
    5. kk says:

Joey acting has definitely improved over the years, and she looks a lot hotter too lol. physically and acting wise, Joey is lot better than those current fadans.

Login or Register before you can reply to kk
    6. Crystal says:

I liked her since My Date with a Vampire and her very small role in Chor Lau Heung 2001.

Hope she continues to do well.

Login or Register before you can reply to Crystal
      • Siying replied:

Hi Crystal! 🙂

I loved My date with a vampire. I liked Joey in there too and the other girl, Pinky Cheung.

Login or Register before you can reply to Siying
        • Crystal replied:

Hello Siying! 🙂

I was more WOW by Pinky in Central Affairs I and II. I love love love her husky voice. Same goes for Joey!

Login or Register before you can reply to Crystal
        • Siyng replied:

Hi again Crystal! 🙂

Oh my golly, I forgot all about Central Affairs, thanks for reminding me, it’s that insurance show right? I remember watching it now and thinking Pinky is the hottest OL ever. Lol.

Login or Register before you can reply to Siyng
    7. sheldon says:

Although Joey hasn’t filmed alot of tv series, she is definitely better than Linda in acting

Login or Register before you can reply to sheldon
    8. Austin says:

We shouldn’t compare Joey to Linda nor Kate, she started out years before they even debuted it’s only natural she’s better in acting.

Login or Register before you can reply to Austin
      • HeTieShou replied:

That is true to some extent. I think acting is sort of an inborn talent because some can start out acting and become good right away. However, there are others that can act for years and years and still be bad.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    9. Hannahh says:

wow i really admire her more as an actress and as a person! support u joey!

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannahh
    10. Victoria says:

I can see why Joey Meng is so popular. Her attitude in life is very commendable indeed.

Login or Register before you can reply to Victoria
    11. HeTieShou says:

She sort of looks like a younger version of Angie Chiu in the above photo. Very sweet and pretty!!

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    12. Conscience says:

i like her too..she still looks good at her age. Looking forward to see her more tvb dramas

Login or Register before you can reply to Conscience
    13. Kidd says:

Both Joey and Eric Wan are loyal people. That’s why they stay with ATV for such a long time even though they have the opportunity to go to TVB during their peak popularity period.

If ATV still produced series, I think Joey will still be with the station.

I wonder if she will be more popular or less popular if she join TVB in her early acting days. I remember she and Esther Kwan were around the same status in ATV. Both were ATV promoted actresses. Esther chose to join TVB and gained even more success after that. But, not everyone join TVB has the opportunity. Some joined, but, fade into oblivion.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
    14. felicity says:

I’ve always liked Joey Meng since her ATV days. Glad she’s doing very well at TVB, even outshining the much promoted TVB fadans!

Besides Interview with A Vampire, does anybody remember the name of that sword fighting series where she acted as a peasant girl who fell in love with the hero but met with a tragic end? The hero was played by Jackie Liu (who acted as Ling Wu Chung in TVB’s 90s version of Smiling Proud Wanderer) and Joey Meng were such a beautiful couple. Jackie Liu killed Joey because his character turned evil, and he was full of grief after she dies in his arm. He then carries Joey out in the snow and frozed to death holding her. That final scene was so haunting…Joey Meng’s acting was spectacular in this drama as the pure and innocent girl who sacrificed her life to bring Jackie Liu to his senses.

Login or Register before you can reply to felicity
      • skinnymocha replied:

The Great General (碧血青天珍珠旗). I loved that series – and its prequel – when I was a kid. I think Jackie Lui also sang that song in the final scene where they’re in the snow…

————–

Joey’s most memorable role for me was Fung Ping in I Have A Date With Spring. I also remember her from the really popular gambling series ATV did, as well as the Bruce Lee one (I think she looked the most beautiful here) and A Cruel Lover.

Login or Register before you can reply to skinnymocha
        • felicity replied:

skinnymocha, thank you for giving me the title! Yes, The Great General was an awesome series, mainly for Jackie and Joey’s storyline. The prequel to the The Great General, Yang’s Family Warriors was also quite good, I thought.

I remember I Have A Date With Spring as well…and the gambling series, was it the one also starring Jackie Liu? Anyway, Joey Meng did have many great works at ATV. That’s why she’s shinning so much at TVB right now, she’s not a newbie. Girl has acting chops and a luminous personality.

Login or Register before you can reply to felicity
    15. sky says:

based on the face, Joey doesn’t look like someone who’s nice in person…while Linda is the opposite…but we can’t judge based on their face…

Login or Register before you can reply to sky