Mimi Lo Will Not Renew TVB Contract

By on January 25, 2013 in NEWS

Singer-actress Mimi Lo (羅敏莊) recently announced that she will not be renewing her TVB contract after it expires in August 2013.

Mimi and husband Power Chan (陳國邦), also a TVB actor, attended a press conference in Tseung Kwan O for an upcoming TVB television program. At the conference, Mimi revealed that she is not planning to renew her TVB contract after it ends in August.

“I am still considering,” said Mimi. “But there are too many people here. I don’t think I will renew [my contract].”

Mimi joined TVB in 1996, after winning “Best New Female Singer – Silver” at the Ultimate Song Chart awards that same year. She has starred in numerous popular television dramas, including Blade Heart <血薦軒轅>, The Last Breakthrough <天涯俠醫>, Under the Canopy of Love <天幕下的戀人>, Wars of In-Laws II <野蠻奶奶大戰戈師奶>, and the D.I.E. <古靈精探> series. Mimi has starred in three musicals and has released thirteen music albums. Her most recent album, I Did It <我做到>, was released in March 2012.

Asked if her husband will also follow suit, Mimi stated, “We have different jobs and we all do our own thing. His contract ends at the end of the year. The managers have not talked about renewing his contract with him yet, unless they are afraid that he is planning to leave as well. I don’t think TVB thinks he’s very important to them anyway,” Mimi added jokingly.

Unlike Mimi, Power expressed that he wants to continue his current work relationship with TVB, and is planning on renewing his contract when the time comes.

Source: On.cc

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

• Power Chan Undergoes Angioplasty(5)
  • Power Chan Returns to TVB 2 Months After Quitting(37)
  • Power Chan Clarifies Why He Chose To Leave TVB: “It’s My Problem”(15)
  • Maggie Cheung and Elena Kong Attend Mimi Lo’s Musical “DOGs” (11)
  • Mimi Lo and Power Chan's New Life as Parents(14)
  • Mimi Lo: “TVB Wasted My Youth!”(34)
  • Power Chan Renews Contract With TVB(25)
  • TVB Approaches Power Chan for Contract Renewal(19)
  • Mimi Lo and Power Chan Welcomes Baby Daughter(14)
  • Pregnant Mimi Lo in Sexy Maternity Photo Shoot(32)

• 41 comments to Mimi Lo Will Not Renew TVB Contract

1. lkv says:

:)she looks so different in the picture.

Login or Register before you can reply to lkv
      • 2876 replied:

Looks a little stiff/unnatural IMO

Login or Register before you can reply to 2876
    2. Susan says:

Hope she will change her mind, very talented actress, she can be funny, caring, wild character, spoil child or heroine.

Login or Register before you can reply to Susan
    3. sandcherry says:

There are just too many actresses in TVB, and TVB likes to promote newbies to become fadans. Mimi is just too “old” to be another fadan. Too bad for Mimi Lo.

Anyway, I don’t think TVB should let Power Chan leave. He is a very good actor and did well in every role.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
      • stmlw20 replied:

Totally agree with ya!! he puts in 100 percent in his roles..sure will miss him if he leaves…i know my mum will be upset 🙁 she loves him other then Bowie Lam

Login or Register before you can reply to stmlw20
        • Selena replied:

Agree. Too bad they gave the best supporting actor award to the other guy. Can’t stand the other guy. I watch something else when the other guy is on tv.

Login or Register before you can reply to Selena
    4. Applelim says:

I am surprised she won’t renew her contract. Hasn’t she done quite a few series and as presenter for quite a few programmes for TVB before her current break??

Login or Register before you can reply to Applelim
    5. Wen Wen says:

I’m not sure if her decision not to renew the contract is something to do with her husband didn’t get the TVB award? but Power Chan himself showed he wants to work with TVB. maybe I’m think too much…lol

Login or Register before you can reply to Wen Wen
      • Eh replied:

That’s what I thought too.

Login or Register before you can reply to Eh
    6. WildBerries says:

TVB is missing out if Mimi doesn’t renew her contract. Mimi is a pretty good actress that is rather versatile and has good marketing potential.

Login or Register before you can reply to WildBerries
      • Kidd replied:

Mimi is a versatile, but, tvb has not been giving her good roles. Not surprising that she doesn’t want to renew the contract. TVB gave all the good roles to inexperience young actresses or the current 5 fadans.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
    7. Anna says:

hmm.. wonder if it has to do with the fact that Power didn’t get the award? Although she said her last sentence jokingly, she may be hinting at something.

Login or Register before you can reply to Anna
    8. LUCY says:

good! I don’t like her anyways

Login or Register before you can reply to LUCY
      • blurjen replied:

god ! u dont know what is goood stuff

Login or Register before you can reply to blurjen
      • clear thinking replied:

me too, she aged a lot as well

Login or Register before you can reply to clear thinking
      • opium replied:

Gosh!!! She is one of the most funniest actress in TVB. Never doubt her abilities. You should watch DIE.I laughed so hard and really enjoyed her. And she looks cute though. You don’t have to be HOT to be talented!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to opium
    9. Daisy says:

Looks like TVB is losing another artist

Login or Register before you can reply to Daisy
    10. TVBFanatic says:

Who?

Login or Register before you can reply to TVBFanatic
    11. P. Tan says:

It’s a great pity to note that all these “old” actors choose to leave TVB after giving so many years of service. Is it likely that they are dissatified with how they are being treated? Look at Kevin Cheng. He is mainly in China and it does not look as if he’s in a hurry to get back to TVB yet for a number of years. He has done it quite subtly so his absence isn’t so noticeable. I must say Power Chan

Login or Register before you can reply to P. Tan
    12. P. Tan says:

(sorry, my mistake.)is really old faithful.

Login or Register before you can reply to P. Tan
    13. Magic says:

I love Mimi! Such a shame that she’s leaving.

Login or Register before you can reply to Magic
    14. pepe69 says:

mimi is really good actress & acted really professionally as much as her husband…wow,,she got 13 albums out!!! thats really accomplishment which not many actresses can accomplish that… mimi now has a loving husband and baby.. she is consider very happy family with everything n no worry

Login or Register before you can reply to pepe69
    15. Gar says:

The picture doesn’t look like Mimi at all! She actually has a solid voice and can sing really well and her acting is not bad to be honest.

Login or Register before you can reply to Gar
    16. Raina says:

I like her. Singing wise, she definitely surprised me. She has a very distinctive voice, much needed in our HK industry right now.

Login or Register before you can reply to Raina
    17. Ric says:

I think Mimi would be better with HKTV. TVB doesn’t give her many roles anyway. She’s kind of in the position Catherine Chau was in. She seems to be getting good roles at HKTV. I don’t think it would hurt Mimi to leave.

As for Power Chan, I hope TVB does not let him go. I still don’t understand how TVB went with KMW over Power. Hopefully TVB will treat him right when they renegotiate his contract.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ric
    18. HeTieShou says:

Has she gotten any invites from China or any other company?? If not, then I wonder how she will manage without TVB???

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • Raina replied:

She’ll manage. Her husband is still making money and now that she has a child, she can be a full-time mom. Besides, there are many alternatives, maybe she’ll find a part-time job, office perhaps? Don’t know, just thinking of some possibilities. I mean, she might lose a hefty portion of her finances but she’ll definitely manage.

Login or Register before you can reply to Raina
        • HeTieShou replied:

They will have to cut back on a lot of things if she does not work in order to make it. Not many can afford to be a full time mom since these days one income is not enough to cover everything, especially in HK where the standard of living is so high…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
        • sandcherry replied:

No, I think Mimi Lo will still work, probably in shows outside of Hong Kong, plus some acting in drama series, musicals, plays, etc. She sings well which helps her a lot in making money. She will not have to tie down in one drama series for a while, day and night. In that case, she can take care of her baby daughter and, at the same time, makes some extra money for her family.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
        • HeTieShou replied:

True but she will need to hire some help as well while she works. I think she needs to since I would be a big burden for Power to have to support the family.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    19. rei says:

She doesn’t look like herself on the picture above. Did she have plastic surgery?

Login or Register before you can reply to rei
      • Larry 3 replied:

She gave birth….still has the chubby face

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
    20. ebbie says:

Both husband & wife are very talented.
      Why cant TVB be nicer to them??????

Login or Register before you can reply to ebbie
    21. sandcherry says:

Agree Mimi Lo has a very solid voice. She sings well, a lot better than the current singers. As for acting, she is not bad, though not amazing. She will shine if she has a good role. Surprised that she was not cast in many drama series.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
    22. Eunice says:

She’s much better as a singer than an actress IMO. On the other hand, her husband is getting better and better in acting.

Login or Register before you can reply to Eunice
    23. anoninhk says:

maybe mimi could focus on dubbing work? with a newborn around, she probably wouldn’t want to spend too much time away from home anyway. or she can switch over to hktv. i am sure once they get their license, i will be tuning into them a lot more frequently than tvb.

Login or Register before you can reply to anoninhk
    24. snoopy says:

She just had a kid. Maybe she wants to spend more time watching the kid grow up. TVB schedule can be a bit inflexible. Her husband is working and bring in the money and I think she’s a spokesperson for a few products anyway. She’ll be fine.

That said, if she’s saying it just to get her contract renewed/ bargain then I think she over estimated herself. I like her in TVB series I’ve seen but there’s so many of them around…wouldn’t make much difference if she leaves…

Login or Register before you can reply to snoopy
    25. mockinggenius says:

HK people only support good looking, cute singers and quality of their voice isn’t the first priority. Anyone 35+ is considered over the hill. Same with actors/actresses. Power Chan never made it to the top because he’s not blessed with the “look” favored by HK audience. Joyce Cheng once kissed Bosco on the cheeks during a song performance and his fans reaction was xyz!! Come on JC have a great voice.

Login or Register before you can reply to mockinggenius
    26. Suzevil says:

Mimi Lo is always running her mouth. I mean, it’s great when people stand up to TVB and all, but doesn’t she think she may hurt the chances of a contract renewal for her and Power by saying those things?

I’ve had a distaste for her since reading an article where she said she was disappointed that she was carrying a baby girl. What if her daughter reads those reports when she is older?

Login or Register before you can reply to Suzevil
    27. Fox says:

She really sings well, and I hope after leaving Txb, she’ll become a full-time singer.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
    28. exoidus says:

“But there are too many people here” – so what she’s implying is that she isn’t promoted since TVB is too busy promoting goddesses, LOL

Hopefully Power will follow suit soon…

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus