Oceane Zhu Seeks Career Breakthrough

By on July 10, 2014 in NEWS

Although Oceane Zhu (朱璇) won the title of Miss Chinese International in 2008 and appeared in a high-profile lead role for movie Prince of Tears <淚王子>, the 27-year-old actress has remained in the background at TVB. Nominated for the Most Improved Female Artiste award for her performances in Season of Love <戀愛季節>, Sergeant Tabloid <女警愛作戰>, and Slow Boat Home <情越海岸線>, Oceane has yet to see a real breakthrough in her career.

Willing to Be Ugly

Always selected to portray attractive female characters, Oceane stated she would rather take on different roles to gain experience. “I want a breakthrough, I don’t want to be a pretty girl all the time, and I don’t want to play gentle and nice characters. I want to play challenging roles – especially mothers, psychopaths, or villains. I don’t restrict what I roles I want to play, as long as there’s a good character and script; I’ll be willing to try.”

Despite her yearning to portray diverse roles, Oceane admitted that she lacks initiatives in asking directors to cast her. She said, “I don’t know how to ask directly. I will usually greet others and then step away. I feel that if others find me suitable for a role, they will ask me.”

Oceane still has difficulties with Cantonese pronunciation, which often provokes laughter when she mispronounces her lines. She hoped to garner different filming experiences, such as filming in Beijing and trying period dramas. Driven by her interest in the performance arts instead of money, Oceane said, “Each person’s experience is different. I hope to portray roles that I like. I’m not a big spender; as long as it’s enough, it’s okay.”

Favorite Actor: Ram Chiang

Unlike most actresses who want to work with younger male artistes, Oceane finds comfort in working with TVB veteran, Ram Chiang (蔣志光). After collaborating together in A Great Way To Care 2 <仁心解碼II>, Oceane praised Ram’s ability to mentor younger artistes. As to why she does not prefer handsome actors, Oceane said, “Actors don’t have to be good to look at. Of course, there are many handsome men who also act well, but I find characters with complex personalities to be more interesting.”

Source: Oriental Daily

This article is written by Su for JayneStars.com.

22 comments to Oceane Zhu Seeks Career Breakthrough

1. lizzie says:

yeah, i feel like she hasn’t had much exposure lately. was she even in any dramas this year?

Login or Register before you can reply to lizzie
    • Esther replied:

Yeah! I was just thinking to myself the other day, haven’t really seen her lately.

Login or Register before you can reply to Esther
  2. Jane says:

She needs to improve her Cantonese first before any breakthrough, her voice is whiny with a heavy annoying accent.

Login or Register before you can reply to Jane
    • sandcherry replied:

Agree absolutely.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
    • lizzie replied:

at least it’s better than christine kuo haha =P

Login or Register before you can reply to lizzie
      • sandcherry replied:

Acting …. yes, and Cantonese ….. more or less the same.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
  3. Maria says:

I think she has yet to find herself a role where she could show the world what a great actress she is. In my humble opinion she would me an excellent villain. That rich/alpha type of girl.

Login or Register before you can reply to Maria
    • lizzie replied:

she played a pretty good villain in outbound love

Login or Register before you can reply to lizzie
      • lol replied:

Slow Boat Home, not Outbound Love. She’s very pretty.

Login or Register before you can reply to lol
      • lizzie replied:

oh yes! slow boat home hahah those two dramas still confuse me due to its similarities =P

Login or Register before you can reply to lizzie
  4. Oceane zhu’s cantonese is not very good and plus her acting is okay not as bad as Rebecca Zhu!!!!!! 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to afterschool17
    • stmlw20 replied:

Yep agree with ya! Cant stand Rebecca Zhu yuck and to add to that list Sire Ma!!

Login or Register before you can reply to stmlw20
  5. shokenchi says:

needs to find some rich men.

Login or Register before you can reply to shokenchi
  6. sandcherry says:

I think an actress needs LUCK to shine. Not many of them could shine in a few drama series; Eliza Sam was an exception.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
  7. Chriselle says:

Eliza entered the scene later, but seems to have replaced her. They are similar types who play pretty and cutesy characters so it seems like there is no need for Oceane as much anymore.

I can see her playing some pretty vixen or something. She’s rather tall so her stature doesn’t really suit cutesy roles anyway.

Login or Register before you can reply to Chriselle
  8. H says:

I like her!

Login or Register before you can reply to H
  9. winnie says:

I wonder why Chinese actor and actress has such odd English name

Oceane Zhu
    Power Chan
    Coffee Lam
    Fury Wong

… just to name a few.

Login or Register before you can reply to winnie
    • Cm replied:

Who knows? And the think HK was a former British colony, you really have to wonder about people’s English

Login or Register before you can reply to Cm
      • winnie replied:

Yes i do, and i thought Ocean is from mainland

Login or Register before you can reply to winnie
    • sandcherry replied:

Not only artistes have funny names. Tons of Hongkongers have very funny English names. First, they want their names to be unique and special; secondly, they don’t know if those are names at all or just some letters put together!

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
      • winnie replied:

I thought their English name has similar pronunciation to their Chinese name.

Login or Register before you can reply to winnie
    • Daisy replied:

i think her name is french. she studied in france so that’s probably why she picked up/chose the name

Login or Register before you can reply to Daisy