Sammy Sum Likes to Be Evil

By on August 22, 2014 in NEWS

Known for his versatility, TVB actor Sammy Sum (沈震軒) portrayed a variety of different roles over the years – from being a lovesick gangster, to being a crazy artist, to being a professional cop, and more. However, Sammy said his villain roles have left the deepest impression on the audience.

Sammy recalled an incident where an elderly woman walked up to him on the streets one day and said, “I recognize you! You always play villain roles! You are so bad, but your acting is great!”

Often, artistes would decline villain roles because they may tarnish their images, but Sammy said he would not mind accepting more villain roles. Portraying villains allows him to test how it feels like to live a different, more exciting life.

“My family really emphasized the importance of etiquette. If we did anything out of line, we would get punished. Unlike many kids, I didn’t run around a lot when my family and I went out for tea. Once, I messed up the cups and plates, so my father told me to touch the hot tea cup. It was hot so my hand obviously recoiled. That taught me the consequences. That’s why I’m actually a pretty boring person in real life. However, with acting, I get to step out of the closet for a bit and do things and I don’t normally do.”

Sammy is very articulate when it comes to expressing his roles. To compliment his characters, he would make sure to surprise viewers with different appearances. He has tried dyeing his hair for a role, permed his hair, and grown a beard. For his new music video “Dearest” <親愛的>, Sammy dyed his hair to a golden color and grew a stubble to present a manly look.

He admitted, “I actually like to maintain a stubble because it looks more ‘original’. It’s not because I’m lazy, but I find it more comfortable. My facial hair grows really fast. After I shave it off, it would all come back the next day! It’s even more of a hassle to keep it clean!”

For acting, Sammy is willing to take this sacrifice for the upcoming idol drama Cross the Finish Line <衝綫>. To look younger, Sammy decided to present a more clean-cut look.

Source: Oriental Daily

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

• Sammy Sum Invests In Home Gym During Pandemic(3)
  • Shirley Chan is Not Worried About Sammy Sum Cheating(3)
  • Sammy Leung Declined “Line Walker” Because of Poor Health(13)
  • Ruco Chan, Joel Chan, and Jazz Lam Exchange Parenthood Tips(1)
  • Sammy Sum’s Perspective on Relationships(0)
  • Sammy Sum Comments on Girlfriend’s Sexy Appearance(13)
  • Sammy Sum Returns to TVB After 4 Years(2)
  • 10 Popular Roles That Were Replaced by Other Stars(6)
  • Sammy Sum’s Playboy Image Impacted His Career(1)
  • Sammy Sum to Film New Drama with Edwin Siu(5)

• 32 comments to Sammy Sum Likes to Be Evil

1. P. Tan says:

Wasn’t he one of the boxers in Gloves Come Off? I noticed him then and thought how cool he was and how handsome! Hope to see more of him.

Login or Register before you can reply to P. Tan
      • jj replied:

Agree! I prefer to see more of him than Him, Jason or Oscar.

Login or Register before you can reply to jj
    2. wow….seriously??? why would sammy sum likes to be evil??? @[email protected]

Login or Register before you can reply to afterschool17
      • llwy12 replied:

Why not? Acting-wise, there is actually more opportunity to shine playing villain roles. Look at how many actors in the past became well-known or even shot to fame playing villain roles (and many of them were damn good at playing those types of roles). In fact, back then, playing the main villain was sort of a stepping stone to becoming first lead for those who knew how to seize the opportunity. Also, since villain roles are harder to portray than the regular ‘good guy’ roles, it’s also a great way to hone acting skills and build up respect / accolades from audiences in the process.

I actually feel that Sammy is smart to take the villain path and build his career up from there….though of course, whether he succeeds or not will also depend on what types of opportunities TVB gives him.

Login or Register before you can reply to llwy12
        • omg replied:

Actually i think it’s easier to play the villain than the good guy. It’s difficult to portray a good guy without coming off as too good to be true and being boring as ditch water.

Login or Register before you can reply to omg
        • afterschool17 replied:

i’m just saying that why would he always have to be a evil person in some of the films in TVB!!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to afterschool17
        • afterschool17 replied:

well…i know that filming as a bad guy is a better thing then filming as a good guy!!! then TVB would give you even more opportunities to film more films!!!! 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to afterschool17
        • afterschool17 replied:

if he is actually filming it as in a good way so then TVB would give more opportunities and more chances for him to film even better!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to afterschool17
    3. msxie says:

Sammy Sum is as dumb a name as Angelababy.

Login or Register before you can reply to msxie
      • Lily replied:

still sounds a lot better than Coffee..

Login or Register before you can reply to Lily
      • jj replied:

I don’t see whatsl’s wrong with his English name. Can’t fault him to have Sum as last name, and Sammy is a pretty common regular name unlike Angelababy and Coffee lol.

Login or Register before you can reply to jj
        • kiwi replied:

Agreed! 😀 🙁 LOL!

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
      • jj replied:

It would be funny if he names himself Additional so his name can be Additional Sum lol :p

Login or Register before you can reply to jj
        • anon replied:

How about dim?

Login or Register before you can reply to anon
        • kiwi replied:

LOL!

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
        • jj replied:

Dim Sum? Lol, I like it! Mouthwatering, like him lol.

Login or Register before you can reply to jj
        • msxie replied:

Sum ting sounds dim with Sammy Sum. Sum JunHin sounds best.

Login or Register before you can reply to msxie
        • Ross replied:

@Anon, good one there! Another good one is a commonly used name ….Tim.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ross
    4. ebbie says:

I like him, hope to see more of him. He’s handsome & charismatic 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to ebbie
      • kiwi replied:

The guy can act. 😀

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
    5. evangeline says:

Barring any major scandal, a future first-line siusang for sure. Got the looks, the charisma and the acting talent.

Login or Register before you can reply to evangeline
    6. omg says:

He should shave off his facial hair cos it makes him look like a “hum sup lo”.

Login or Register before you can reply to omg
      • kiwi replied:

LOL!

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
    7. Ben says:

Is it me or does his grin/smirk remind me of Louis Koo!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to Ben
    8. tvbfanatic says:

when I did a quick glace at the photo I first thought it was a picture of David Spade.

Login or Register before you can reply to tvbfanatic
      • kiwi replied:

That’s an insult to Sammy. 😀 :O( LOL!

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
    9. Late says:

Sammy Sum and Louis Cheung are two TVB actors worth watching. They CAN ACT.

Login or Register before you can reply to Late
      • ebbie replied:

OH YES !!!!! 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to ebbie
      • skinnymocha replied:

I like Sammy and I think Matt Yeung is getting better as well. But I definitely agree with Louis – his character was a right prick in Inbound Troubles, but he already came off as a natural in his acting. Would love to see more of him.

——————

In comparison, poor Deric Wan…

Login or Register before you can reply to skinnymocha
        • rofl replied:

I have to say that modesty isn’t one of his better virtues. Not shy about self praise (albeit indirectly). His acting is so-so only IMO, nowhere near great. Get real! Lol!

Login or Register before you can reply to rofl
    10. Hannahh says:

I like him Evil too! Love his acting!

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannahh
    11. Jane says:

Sammy is one of the good actors who plays the villain role well and easily acceptable by the audience. Louise and Eric Li are also good actors for villain roles.

Login or Register before you can reply to Jane