“The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber” Remake Drop First Stills

By on May 17, 2018 in NEWS, TV Dramas

“The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber” Remake Drop First Stills

Netizens were skeptical when the new The Heaven and Dragon Saber <倚天屠龙记> remake was first announced, but it appears now that they have retracted their previous statements.

The wuxia drama, which will be the eighth official remake of the Jin Yong (金庸) novel of the same name, stars Joseph Zeng (曾舜晞) as Zhang Wuji, Yukee Chen (陈钰琪) as Zhao Min, and Zhu Xudan (祝绪丹) as Zhou Zhiruo. The three young stars weren’t exactly known for their acting abilities, and they lacked the star power to carry a regular Jin Yong remake. However, when the first stills of the show dropped Monday, netizens were pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

Fans of the wuxia story, which is the third and last part of Jin Yong’s Condor Trilogy <射雕三部曲>, were surprised to see that the actors looked their part. Optimistic netizens pointed out that the last Jin Yong remake, 2017’s The Legend of the Condor Heroes <射雕英雄传>, also did not receive support when its cast was first announced, but the show ended up becoming one of China’s most critically-acclaimed shows of the year. Fans are hopeful that the new Heaven remake would do just as well.

Check out the stills below!

Joseph Zeng as Zhang Wuji

Yukee Chen as Zhao Min

Zhu Xudan as Zhou Zhiruo

Cao Xiyue as Yin Li

Kabby Hui as Xiaozhao

Sun Anke as Yang Buhui

Maggie Chen as Yin Susu

Kathy Chow as Abbess Miejue

Source: Sina.cn

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

15 comments to “The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber” Remake Drop First Stills

1. hetieshou says:

I love this story but am sick of remakes but may see this due to my love of this novel. I only know Joseph Zeng and Kathy Chow from the cast, but there is more to any series rather than just the cast. I saw Joseph Zeng in a few series already and I think he will fit the character of Zhang Wu Ji just fine. I wonder how Kathy will do as Mie Jue Shi Tai? I thought they would get someone older to play that role? Let’s see…

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
    • littlefish replied:

@hetieshou isn’t it funny? She’s used to be szhou zhiruo, now she’s her old self’s sifu xD

Login or Register before you can reply to littlefish
      • kolo replied:

@littlefish you know what funny is? in this new copy of DSHS the old sifu (katy chow) is prettier than zhou zhiruo. (zhu xudan). actually the 3 main cast looks like kids and no X-factor.

Login or Register before you can reply to kolo
      • hetieshou replied:

@kolo
        There is way more to any series than just the cast.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
      • hetieshou replied:

@littlefish
        My words exactly! I thought how funny it was and a coincidence that she is playing Zhu Zhi Ruo and is now playing the master. Strange…

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
  2. anoninhk says:

I’ve seen the two female leads from other dramas and they did not strike me as great beauties. Still, I think I will give this a shot, because I was sceptical about The Legend of the Condor Heroes 2017 and it ended up being one of my favourite Jinyong adaptations ever.

Login or Register before you can reply to anoninhk
  3. bearbear says:

While I am not a fan of the rapid and repeated Jinyong adaptations being produced like an annual event, these stills are a pleasant surprise. Except for Zhu Xudan, not familar with most of the younger cast. Yang Buhui looks sweet.
    Though I always think Zhang Wuji is wishy washy (love the ambitious Wuji in the movie version) and prefers Zhou Zhiruo to Zhou Min, may give this adaptation a try if there is no other better productions to watch then.

Login or Register before you can reply to bearbear
  4. 1piscesish says:

Know none of these new generation Mainland actors, only Kathy Chow lol! Since she has portrayed Zhou Zhiruo in the past, it will be interesting to see her as Miejue.

Login or Register before you can reply to 1piscesish
  5. anon says:

I will check this series out for sure. It’s one of my favourite wuxia of all-time.

I can deal with the annual re-makes and “lesser” beauties as I am certain that this series will be better than anything that TVB churns out these days yet there are still plenty that watches TVB here.

Login or Register before you can reply to anon
  6. kk12345 says:

Will be watching the drama to see if it is nice. Zhang Wuji isn’t my favorite character, but Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre is my favorite wuxia book.

Login or Register before you can reply to kk12345
  7. elizabeth says:

So Emei turned Taoist now so some girls can look nicer without a bald head?

I recognise Zhu Xudan from “Eternal Love” as the crazy demon queen.

Login or Register before you can reply to elizabeth
    • littlefish replied:

@elizabeth well to be fair, they wear ugly beanies to cover their bald head in TVB production, and Chinese drama must look good, so either way, none of the girls will have their head shaved so might as well go with the prettier style lol

Login or Register before you can reply to littlefish
  8. skev1 says:

Does anyone know when this series is coming out and if there is any canton sub? I really like Legend of the Condor Heroes 2017.

Li Ti Yong became my favorite Huang Rong. She is very beautiful, classy, witty, and smart.

Login or Register before you can reply to skev1
  9. skev1 says:

Legend of the Condor Heroes 2017 just came out.

Why did they skip Return of the Condor Heroes and jump straight into Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber?

Login or Register before you can reply to skev1
    • anoninhk replied:

@skev1 Michelle Chen and Chen Xiao’s ROCH was randomly made in 2014. Probably a bit too soon for another remake, although you can be sure it won’t take too long. I think HSDS is actually okay as a standalone series.

Login or Register before you can reply to anoninhk