JayneStars.com logo

Tight White T-Shirt Propels Eliza Sam to Goddess Status

By on September 8, 2012

Tight White T-Shirt Propels Eliza Sam to Goddess Status thumbnail

TVB actress, Eliza Sam (岑麗香), has earned the latest “Goddess” status among Hong Kong male viewers.  Frequently appearing in a tight white t-shirt in Divas in Distress <巴不得媽媽>, the 2010 Miss Chinese International winner’s busty figure gained notice and provided a breath of fresh air in the drama.

Eliza had a cameo role in Ghetto Justice 2 <怒火街頭2> and was cast as Chin Ka Lok’s (錢嘉樂) love interest in Divas in Distress. Hailing from Vancouver, Eliza struggled with reading the Chinese script and has not received any formal acting training. Fortunately, she learned valuable pointers from veterans Liza Wang (汪明荃) and Gigi Wong (黃淑儀). “Both veterans are very willing to teach newcomers. One time, Liza Jeh showed me how to act a scolding scene. Days later, she asked me how the scene went; I was very moved.”

Tight White T-Shirt Stirs Viewers

In last night’s episode, Eliza had a shower scene which revealed her bare back. In addition, she wore sailor and nurse outfits in a fantasy sequence, which excited male interest. Regarding the recent attention lavished upon her, especially over her tight white t-shirt appearance, Eliza said, “It was not intentional to wear a white t-shirt while drenched in water. While filming earlier, we skipped ahead to film the scene.  I felt a bit embarrassed during filming. The wardrobe is arranged by TVB staff and I do not feel that it was especially sexy.”

Eliza added, “While filming, I did not feel that my figure was that pronounced. I think it is a matter of camera angles. I do not know how to read Chinese, but I am happy beyond words after learning of netizens’ praises. Whether netizens like or dislike me, I will accept it. Their opinions can help me improve. The most important thing is to improve my Cantonese right now. I truly love acting!”

Asked if the number of her male fans has increased significantly, Eliza said, “Perhaps, I did not pay close attention. Many people said this to me. Thanks!”

TVB was crowded with upcoming actresses who have signed with the company after competing in beauty pageants. Facing competitors such as Christine Kuo (苟芸慧), Oceane Zhu (朱璇), and Leanne Li (李亞男), Eliza was asked how she thought of distinguishing herself. Eliza replied, “I do not want to be compared to others. I will only compare to my own performances from my last drama and how I acted last month. I am happy as long as I have improved. It is most important to enjoy the process.”

Sources: Apple Daily via ihktv.com, Face Magazine via ihktv.com

Tags: , ,

• Him Law and Mandy Wong Share Bed Scene in "Divas in Distress"(59)
  • Eliza Sam is Ready For Every Moment(32)
  • Eliza Sam: Rumored Most Improved Actress Winner(48)
  • Review: "Divas in Distress" (By Funn)(87)
  • Koo Ming Wah’s Crossroad Blues(38)
  • Liza Wang and Gigi Wong Overshadowed by Supporting Actors in “Divas in Distress”(29)
  • TVB Goddesses, Christine Kuo and Eliza Sam, Are Not Competitors(61)
  • Synopsis of “Divas in Distress” Starring Liza Wang and Gigi Wong(12)
  • Chin Ka Lok Trades In Sports Cars For Daughter's Sake(4)
  • Eliza Sam's Figure Triumphs Over Fala Chen(21)

• Readers' Comments (82)

1. sandcherry says:

Eliza Sam did not look pretty in the above photo.

Compared with Christine Kuo, I think Christine looked prettier. Christine is very pretty, attractive, and feminine. However, Eliza is pretty cute and sweet.

• RLF Lover says:

I agree that Christine Kuo is prettier but Eliza’s acting is much better. I still think Crystal Li is the best among the newcomers.

• jacq says:

christine looks very betrayal, uneasy, hateful and weird wheras eliza looks very soft, heart pleasing, easy going and most of all sexy.

• Kandie says:

You’re more describing their characters that they potray rather than their actual look IMO. I think Christine looks prettier, but her acting is soo stiff, and although she has said she is trying her best to improve her cantonese, she needs a lot of work in crunching her words to make it sound clearer…

• Larry 3 says:

Eliza’s acting to me is sort of okay, not outstanding…. still in early stages of her acting career.

• Gar says:

Comparison of Christine and Eliza:

Acting: same
          Beauty: Christine
          Cantonese speaking skills: Eliza

• salamander says:

Eliza is much more cuter than Christine!

• Hannahh says:

Christine is indeed prettier than both Eliza n Crytal but i don’t find Christine is attractive lol mayb her annoying acting and can’t speak canto properly.

2. ita says:

her acting in divas is quite raw and also her cantonese pronounciation kinda odd. Anyway she is quite cute.

• jacq says:

give eliza a chance and she may shine into a goddess of happiness!

• Funn Lim says:

Cantonese ok. Quite cute. Acting is not only raw but very raw. But for all the hoopla about Mandy Wong, I can tell you for me Mandy didn’t do too great. something about the hat and the entire image and no chemistry with Him Law. Mandy is not ready yet for a love story.

• Lol says:

I totally agree with you on this one. Although Eliza’s acting is raw but she’s definitely stealing the show from Mandy in this one. I think Eliza just has that likable factor that you can’t help but like her.

• salamander says:

Mandy is good but I think Eliza has more charm! I prefer Eliza’s part than Mandy and Him’s romance line. Unlike many others I can’t find the chemistry between them too. Eliza and Chin Ka Lok are funny!

• DC says:

o_o I thought I was the only one that didn’t find any chemistry with Mandy and Him. I liked them in Suspects in Love, but then I somewhat got tired of seeing them nowadays.

To me, Eliza IS really better than Christine… I wasn’t annoyed by her acting nor her Cantonese. Even when she cried and talk at the same time… I was like.. “okay.. need to improved but still okay” lol.. whereas Christine… FAST-FORWARD BUTTON -_-;;

• shu says:

for me mandy is not hot or pretty enough to be a first line fa-dan although her acting is quite decent,her memorable role for me thus far is in l’ergacot as kwan ji so.

• salamander says:

Maybe Mandy will shine again in her raped prostitute character in that Bosco/Niki series. Rape/Prostitute/Slapping scene always got high noise and attention among viewers :D

• Larry 3 says:

Too raw.

• Anon says:

Eliza is raw, but has charming appeal. She’s the surprise limelight of this show. She’s more appealing than Mandy and Him Law for me.

• Ita says:

I really cant stand it the background song always comes up when there id scene between mandy and him, no chemistry at all, plus the song is getting on my nerve. I think they tried to make the love story between mandy and him more like korean type love story and it didnt come out right for some reason.

• EL says:

I think more credit shud be given to mandy. So far she is the best newcomer in terms of acting skills. Kinda reminds me of tavia.

• Hannahh says:

Agreed with u Funn! I love Mandy but something wrong with her acting and also think she and Him Him was kinda awkward and has no chemistry.

• salamander says:

She’s doing well as a newbie for this big role. But Christine was just a pretty face.

• Kandie says:

Keeping in mind that she comes from Vancouver and had just started fresh in acting, obviously there will be room for improvement, but hey, I think she does a pretty good job for a newcomer,dontcha think? :)

• ann says:

I agreed with you. For a newcomer, I thought Eliza is doing a great job! I do not like Christine Kuo at all in all the drama series that she has been in.

3. eliza_is_my_future_wife says:

MY FUTURE WIFE! SHE IS SO BEAUTIFUL! I NOTICED HER ON GHETTO JUSTICE 2!!! OMG TVB QUEEN!!!

4. salamander says:

She’s soooo CUTE in Diva’s in Distress!

• shu says:

yes, i agree with you she is cute and hot indeed,acting is raw but has potential,her pronounciation can better.

5. sandcherry says:

I think Eliza’s character in “Diva” is more pleasant than Christine Kuo’s in “Ghetto Justice 2″, and easier to act as well.

• salamander says:

I think so too. Christine should’ve started with a lighter characters to improve her expressions first. Eliza showed her potential in comedy from her expressions.

• sandcherry says:

Agree. Christine Kuo’s acting was not mature enough for her to handle that kind of serious character, Lynette, in “Ghetto Justice 2″. TVB should have given her some easier or lighter characters to start her heavier roles.

• salamander says:

I think Eliza has this charm that Oceane has too only different that Eliza is cuter while Oceane is more elegant. It’s something that can make viewers excuse their broken Cantonese. Christine is pretty but doesn’t have this likeable charm.

• salamander says:

The characters play a part too. If Christine took a lighter character maybe she won’t annoy that much.

• josie says:

“Princess heung heung” is really cute and likable but it’s cuz Eliza has natural charm. This is only the 2nd series I’ve seen her in and I already think she improved her acting & Cantonese f/ GJ2.

On the other hand, Christine has been in several series and yet her progression is moving at a snail’s pace. I don’t think the characters of lynette or Wai Wai f/ TC are difficult to portray at all. She just isn’t talented. Even Eliza can already cry better than her!

• sandcherry says:

Wai Wai’s character was not difficult to act, but it was not easy to act Lynette’s character.

Anyway, Christine Kuo does not have the talents to be a fast-tracked actress.

• salamander says:

I agree! Eliza can cry quite well although with her raw acting. She doesn’t look fake.

6. vivien says:

I don’t care about her white shirt but she’s quite cute. Maybe that’s why she’s more likeable than Christine who has a serious and fierce pretty face.

7. vivien says:

With cute babyface and sexy body I understand if she’s getting many male fans although the term goddess is really used loosely now.

8. Addy says:

Eliza Sam has exaggerated acting, but it fits because DID is a comedy anyways. Also, Eliza’s crying is so much better than Christine Kuo’s. SO much better.

But out of the recent MCI’s, I still like Oceane Zhu the best.

9. TVBFanatic says:

” Facing competitors such as Christine Kuo (苟芸慧), Oceane Zhu (朱璇), and Leanne Li (李亞男), Eliza was asked how she thought of distinguishing herself.”

I guess the answer to this should be

“I will wear tight white T-Shirt to make the male audience swoon!”

:P

10. Queen says:

My husband also have second glance at her normally he don’t stare at any new actresses but this time he did. Eliza do have some charm for men lol.

11. Larry 3 says:

She’s cute, but need to sex it up by boosting her breast up more.

12. elin says:

is it just me or do all tvb new actress look slightly the same

• Anon says:

There are clear distinction between ELiza, Oceane, Christine and Crystal. At least I can tell them apart better than telling one lengmo or mainland model from each other :)

13. Anon says:

Likewise, I like this girl Eliza too. She’s cute! I can pass her raw acting for now because she’s very green after all :D

14. TVBFanatic says:

Reading more about Eliza I was surprised to see that she was Miss Chinese Vancouver in 2009 (beating out Carat Cheung who placed 2nd).

That’s a lot of women from Canada staring on TVB now :P As a Canadian myself, I’ll have to throw my support behind her too ;)

15. H says:

Yay! I think she’s great!

16. Eunice says:

All MCIs are becoming goddesses…

17. Sammie says:

Cannot read Chinese, cannot speak Chinese, wonder why TVB cast such a woman in their drama ? Soon she will remove even her bra go gain publicity

18. ehh? says:

sorry she’s no looker. in fact i find her plain, not captivating, and kind of chubby faced. if i stretch it, i mite call her cute but nothing more. i dont particularly find anything difficult to act for that character of hers. she just always made this incredulous n outraged look at CKLok’s char thru out the epis. i dont think she’s better than any of the girls mentioned. i just find her the most blah looking not very unique. ill pass on her.

19. kk says:

i actually starting to like Eliza, her acting is pretty good for a new comer in Divas, especially it a comedy too…and she’s actually pretty and cute imo. well, i didn’t feel any pain when i watched her acting lol.

20. kk says:

@addy: agree w/ u on eliza’s crying alot better than christine kuo.
      i wonder who’s more puke worthy and has the ability to cause more “distress” to the audience, aimee chan or christine kuo, jaynestars should really have a poll on this lol. jk people, jk lol.

21. joojaibao says:

I agree with everyone I like Eliza from the moment I saw her in Diva n Distress already unlike Christine Kuo she gives an impression that she’s likes the spotlight to be shining on her 24/7 I dont know I just dislike Christine Kuo so badly!!!

22. Hannahh says:

She’s pretty sweet girl! I like her in Diva n Distress

23. Hannah says:

The new generation of TVB actresses: No acting skills needed and accent is acceptable.

• EL says:

I knw. I feel bad for those who actually earned their way to the top, eg. ppl like charmaine or tavia. Nowadays, if u win some sort of pageants then u get to play supporting roles already.

• salamander says:

Charmaine was a girl who shrieked in a chicken voice and can’t act for nuts when she first appeared straight away in a big role. What a bad example.

• Little fishy says:

Charmaine, however, is now so much better than when she first started lol. Though, she did get straight to support role from mhk, do its true that she earns her way to the top, but she was giiven easy ride like these girls due to being picked from the pageant

• a lot of says:

It’s only one drama out of the 20+ that is broadcasted each year. You will still see your Linda Chung and Fala Chen in other dramas and maybe you will see Kate Tsui in 10000 drama next year

• sandcherry says:

I feel worse for those artistes (such as Nancy Wu, Elaine Yiu, etc.) who have NOT earned their way up to 1st lead roles after acting so many GOOD support roles in TVB for so many years.

24. EL says:

Her acting is okay. Bt i stop watching divas in distress. The plot is not logical and quite redundant. I was tolerating the first few epi cause i was bored as hell so i had no choice. Bt i have limits. After watching epi10 i cnt stand it anymore. It shud be the worst tvb series of the year so far.

• Samantha says:

No its wish and switch with Myolie and Selena that series was bleh!!

• EL says:

I thought wish and switch wasnt that bad tho. At least it is tolerable. Divas in distress just doesnt make sense. Eg. Liza ‘forced’ ka lok to swear not to marry again. Seriously? Is she still stuck in the 19th century? It would even be more logical if she said she has a secret crush on him.

• Hannahh says:

I dont like Liza che, she annoyed the crap out of me. I just watched for Him Him n Mandy n now for Eliza lol

25. a lot of says:

A lot of girls here are jealous of Eliza. Eliza is a 95/100. While these haters are 40/100. Eliza speaks better cantonese than 95% of the readers here. Jealousy!!!

26. stranger says:

i like eliza, and she gives off a better vibe than christine, leanne and oceane. yes, her acting is raw but she can work the comedy aspect very well and i do see talent in her. her crying wasn’t annoying either. this is her first role and she’s miles above christine kuo already. looking forward to see her progress.

27. sandcherry says:

Well, Eliza Sam is lucky to get this kind of light-hearted role to start with in Divas. I think she has some charms and talents in acting. She is now well-accepted by her audience.

28. Kristobeer says:

Eliza really rock, very refreshing. Shes pretty funny and fun to watch. I have seen a few interviews and her english is perfect too. I hope to see her in a movie someday.

Huge fan !

Readers are no longer able to comment on this old article.

• JayneStars News Subscription

Never miss any of JayneStars' hottest entertainment news!

Enter your email address: