JayneStars.com logo

Fred Cheng Has “Competition Phobia”

By on July 20, 2013

Fred Cheng Has “Competition Phobia” thumbnail

Although he achieved nearly perfect marks on his performances in the singing competition Voice of Stars <星夢傳奇>, overnight sensation Fred Cheng (鄭俊弘) proclaimed that he has a certain degree of “competition phobia.”

“I joined several singing competitions and wushu competitions when I was still in school,” revealed Fred. “Before the big day, I would not be able to fall asleep and I would be throwing up in the toilet all night.” Did Fred lose all of his energy from vomiting? “No! I would still be very lively!”

Fred expressed that it was his family who influenced his love for music. “My family played in a band. My parents forced me to learn the piano when I was really young, but I was really not interested. When I was in sixth grade, my school required us to learn an instrument. My uncle and I formed a band then, and he told me to learn the guitar. I still love playing the guitar to this day.”

The 29-year-old Fred was first noticed by TVB after winning second place in the TVB New Talent Singing Awards in 2001. Though TVB never gave the opportunity for Fred to show off his musical talents, Fred never gave up on perfecting his craft. In 2008, he and a group of friends formed the band Home, and they often played in bars. The band played for free most of the time.

Having just completed the shooting of the third episode of Voice of Stars, Fred said that he could not reveal too much information about the recording. “[TVB] wants secrecy!” But Oscar Leung (梁烈唯) talked about it on his Weibo? “He was completing his drama shooting so he did not hear the briefing.”

As for the rumors that Universal Music Group is interested in signing him into their label, Fred said that no one has approached him yet, and he will wait for TVB’s arrangements.

Source: Oriental Daily

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

Tags: ,

• Oscar Leung is Not a Suitable Singer?(35)
  • Fred Cheng's Thorny Road(59)
  • TVB Scraps “The Voice of the Stars 2” Due to Mainland Competition(14)
  • Fred Cheng and Lesley Chiang's Love Hits Rocky Bump?(18)
  • Fred Cheng Records First Music Album(9)
  • Fred Cheng Portrays Autistic Role in "Trade Wars"(11)
  • Fred Cheng Unwinds With a Stroll in the Park(20)
  • Fred Cheng and Sisley Choi Couple Up for New Commercial(15)
  • Chilam Cheung, Sharon Chan, Fred Cheng Win at “Stars of Weibo 2013”(10)
  • Fred Cheng to Star in Remake of Stephen Chow’s “The Final Combat”?(44)

• Readers' Comments (19)

1. Nigel says:

Support support support you Fred! I also enjoy ur rendition of Fly me to the moon but I think u shud perform with your guitar in the 3rd episode

2. AC says:

I’m glad that he’s finally getting some recognition and that more people know his name.

3. Bubblez says:

Way too excited for him and his future’s success. I love how he is so humble towards this and even before this, I always noticed him, maybe due to FH franchise ^.^

And I can’t wait to listen to his next competition song!

4. HeTieShou says:

It is great to be humble and I can understand his competition phobia because I have that to a certain degree as well. Good luck to him!!

5. azndoraemon says:

He is the best! Good luck throughout the competition

6. yeung4life says:

I think this dude has potential. ‘Hope he’ll get bigger roles in the future :D

7. yeung4life says:

he reminds of Oscar Leung the second…..

8. Primrose says:

Wish you every success Fred. Stay humble. Don’t be like cocky Oscar and let fame get into your head.

9. Primrose says:

Wish you every success Fred. Stay humble. Don’t he like c@cky Oscar and let fame get into your head.

• Nigel says:

I agreed pls stay humble and hope you will get to realize your dreams of being a full fledged singer with your own LP soon. Gd Luck Fred

10. Jessica says:

I thought he was Bernice Liu for a second in that picture lol

11. ANGELA says:

Its a shame that he had to wait soo many years to finally make break in the entertainment industry.
      And I believe its not just him. THERE are too many TVB actors (or artiste) in the company and not everyone gets the opportunity to be noticed. Some go without a job for months! Thats really hard to survive especially in Hong Kong when rent is so expensive!!

Im very happy that Fred is doing what he loves best – singing. Really hope that he will make it and produce his own album.

Also its great opportunity that Eric Moo had invited him to guest appear at his Hong Kong concert end of this month!!

12. Tvb SG fans says:

Fabolous singing passion for waited so long to be know by others. Fred can sing well & he has a soothing voice which people likes.. Jia Yu..!

13. Rachel says:

wooohooo!! top score for the third time in a row!! :) super proud of him and can’t wait to see him compete again!! but a little nervous for him as the other competitors are also really good.

14. lol says:

this guy can totally sing

15. Kidd says:

Watch episode 3 yesterday. Of the 3 performances Fred has done, I like his most recent performance the best (the Alam Tam song). He makes the song his own. He improvised on it and the improvisation was good.

Hacken Lee seems to be a rigid judge. He gave Fred quite low marks comparatively because of Fred’s improvisation. He seems to only be able to accept a song being the way he would sing it. Alan Tam, on the other hand, was more flexible. He can accept a song sang in a different way than the original.

The contestants are also getting stronger. The last singer in episode 3 makes me want to cry. I like many of the performances in episode 3. But, his was the only one that was able to pull at my heartstring to such effect. Hacken’s technical advise to him was sound. He could have done better in the way Hacken pointed out. But, the way he put his feelings in the song was good. I’m looking forward to him next round.

Can see that Lily Ho was nervous. But, for an amateur, she was pretty good. I hope she will continue hone this area of performance. She has a good singing.

Lastly, love Moon Lee’s own style performance. It’s so 80′s and that’s his uniqueness. Haha.

• azndoraemon says:

I’m with you, I love Fred the most and Moon. I like Alan for his lay back style especially with his own song. He’s able to accept Fred and Moon for changing the original to a different way and was happy that they did instead of critize them.

16. Kidd says:

“Though TVB never gave the opportunity for Fred to show off his musical talents, “

No only that. TVB also wasted his martial art training. TVB has never casted him in a fighting/kungfu role. TVB would rather cast actors who didn’t have martial art background to play great martial artists. :(

In a ‘Today VIP’ interview, Fred said he was finally able to use his martial art skill in a series. He will play a highly skilled constable in 舌劍上的公堂. Fred jokingly said that in the past, he always played the guy being beaten.

Readers are no longer able to comment on this old article.

• JayneStars News Subscription

Never miss any of JayneStars' hottest entertainment news!

Enter your email address: