Ali Lee Proves Her Acting Chops Once Again in “AI Romantic”

By on May 3, 2021 in Hong Kong Drama, NEWS

Ali Lee Proves Her Acting Chops Once Again in “AI Romantic”

“Frozen” by TVB in 2019, Ali Lee (李佳芯) is finally given a chance to shine again. AI Romantic <智能愛人> is currently airing on subscription platform, myTV Super, and will also be broadcast this summer on TVB Jade. Portraying an emotionless android in the drama, Ali takes on her most challenging role to-date.

Despite her Best Actress win in 2018, Ali’s status at TVB became shaky after making a politically sensitive comment on social media. TVB immediately halted all her dramas and she was pulled out of the casting list for four dramas, including Plan “B” <寶寶大過天>, Legal Mavericks 2020 <踩過界II>, Big White Duel 2 <白色強人II>, and Kids’ Lives Matter <星空下的仁醫>.

Recognizing Ali’s talent, TVB tested the waters last year by airing Death by Zero <殺手> to observe viewers’ reactions. With the positive reception, Ali was subsequently cast in AI Romanticwhere she portrays an android who primarily functions as a family maid. She unexpectedly becomes attracted to Billy Luk’s (陸永) character, and even has fantasies about him.

Billy Luk and Crystal Fung Praise Ali’s Acting

Filming AI Romantic proved to be a new challenge for Ali, who had to control her micro expressions to resemble an android.

In the drama, Ali competes against Crystal Fung (馮盈盈) for Billy’s heart. Crystal praised Ali for being able to portray such a difficult role. “She is not allowed to blink and she has to keep her eyes wide open for many minutes. One time, her eyes were so dry that her contact lens fell out. Even I got rashes from filming in the intense heat.”

Billy believes that Ali’s acting is beyond the level of a TV Queen. “She is able to portray a non-living being so well, that she should win an inanimate object acting award. It is very tiring [to act this way]; she was amazing!”

TVB executives are very pleased with Ali’s performance and decided to give the actress a second chance, which is why the station recently aired Beauty and the Boss <愛美麗狂想曲> and variety show Doggie Training Camp <狗狗診療所>, which she co-hosts with Gregory Charles Rivers (河國榮).

With TVB’s gestures perhaps paving a road for her to win Best Actress again this year, Ali  remained modest, “As long as I fulfill the duties of an actress, I will leave everything else to the company.”

“AI Romantic” Trailer

Source: On.cc

This article is written by Hailey for JayneStars.com.

Ali Lee’s Lowest Point in Her Career: Dropped From Four Dramas

22 comments to Ali Lee Proves Her Acting Chops Once Again in “AI Romantic”

1. coralie says:

Ali’s really great as an AI…her acting is on point!

Login or Register before you can reply to coralie
  2. tt23 says:

Finally a post about this! I’m interested in hearing what people think.

I really enjoy this drama so far, it has a refreshing storyline and cast, not just another gang/cop/lawyer story. Ali is nailing the character, she’s so good in this and again brings that special charm/quality that makes you fall in love with the character.

Only thing is that I’m annoyed they premiered this online first because it will hurt ratings when it airs. But maybe they will get lucky with Ali being in it, I heard beauty and the boss did pretty decent even though it aired online earlier.

Login or Register before you can reply to tt23
    • bubbles23 replied:

@tt23 I watched one episode and a bit more. I can’t tell you how refreshing it is to finally NOT have a theme song from The Voice. It’s literally music to my ears!!!
      Fact: Ali gets her role right EVERY TIME. Fact: C Kwan’s comedy is saving TVB’s variety shows/dramas from complete doom.
      I will withstand FYY for Ali, but she does seem less annoying in this. I think the way her mouth moves when she speaks is less weird here.
      Anyways, I’m glad Ali got dropped from Big White Duel 2, because of is current cast it just sounds like a flop. I do wish she stayed on for LM2 but then again Never did actually die instead of the open ended finale in BWD. TVB needs to give her a new drama or else we’ll all be on an Ali drought for the rest of 2021!

I’m so glad I can watch this instead of what’s airing right now. The new Ruco drama is absolutely a repeat from the 2010s, which were a repeat from the 2000s police shows. One word: boring. Such an old-fashioned, predictable storyline and crappy editting about cops/cases/shoot outs/love life problems. I want 2010s Ruco back. Reality Check was such a good drama. (sorry for off topic).

Login or Register before you can reply to bubbles23
      • conan2209 replied:

@bubbles23 i was thinking of checking out Ruco’s show actually.

I so love ALI, she is just SO good in it!

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
      • tt23 replied:

@bubbles23 I love the song they have! It’s cute. The editing feels a bit choppy but it’s not too noticeable.

I’m slowly watching it because I want to enjoy it, everything has been crap. I will try to watch Bobby’s show because it’s Bobby but that one is hard. Yes you are so right Ruco’s show is very 2010 haha. I’ll watch it because of ruco but yeah 2010 ruco was the best. I think this will be his year, they seem to be promoting this show a lot

Login or Register before you can reply to tt23
      • conan2209 replied:

@tt23 my friend described Bobby’s show as “lousy” and with all letters in CAPS ;p

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
    • conan2209 replied:

@tt23 with all the chats about this show now, i hope it will garner enough attention from many more in Aug.

TVB needs to give her a new show soon else we will not see her in any more drama for the rest of the year or even next year! ;(

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
      • tt23 replied:

@conan2209 hopefully it will, I don’t understand tvb’s tactic lol. And yeah I hope they give her a new show soon too!

Login or Register before you can reply to tt23
  3. boomer says:

I’m not a fan of Ali but I watched the first episode and she’s incredibly convincing as an AI. Really top notch acting

Login or Register before you can reply to boomer
    • conan2209 replied:

@boomer i hope you will be after watching this show!

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
      • pandaxo replied:

@conan2209 when i saw a post about Ali, i knew you’d be on it promoting her LOL

looks like i have to fight with you for ali’s number one fan

Ali is definitely perfect for this role!!

Login or Register before you can reply to pandaxo
      • conan2209 replied:

@pandaxo LOL no need to fight, the more the merrier ;p

I hope she’ll get a new drama soon!

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
  4. m0m0 says:

love the trailer. it gave away the entire plot. typical tvb production, predictable.

Login or Register before you can reply to m0m0
    • conan2209 replied:

@m0m0 it’s actually not a TVB production. The producer and his team are not from TVB but it’s aired in TVB. That’s why when the show was announced, many were concerned it meant TVB will continue to sideline Ali.

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
  5. jackjackbug says:

I’ve enjoyed all the episodes so far. It’s definitely fresh and so different compared to all the other themes TVB has produced. I’m an Ali fan so this was a definite must see and I’m so glad I was right. She is so so convincing as an AI and the main cast is just as great. This is my 1st time watching Crystal Fung in any series and thought she is fine and plays her part decently, but Ali has stolen this show.

This series was not shot in a studio so it gives the series a refreshing point of view. I find that the office scenes has that Wes Andersen feel; quirky, a bit retro, and has a defin color palette. The irony is that given their high tech business and products, there is nothing in that office that is high tech in 2020!

This series has a heart and so many feelings and asks some important questions regarding AI and humans. Overall, it’s a great series so far and I highly recommend.

Login or Register before you can reply to jackjackbug
    • conan2209 replied:

@jackjackbug many here, like me, will watch it for Ali 😉

She’s so convincing in it!

This proves its scripts and acting skills that earn ratings , not big budgets

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
  6. theyenman says:

Honestly, she’s probably the best actress TVB has right now. Versatile, and has actual fafan presence imo. Pretty rare at tvb these days.

Login or Register before you can reply to theyenman
  7. potatochip says:

She’s the only TVB actress that viewers would watch a series specifically for her. They need to promote her more and cherish her.

Login or Register before you can reply to potatochip
    • conan2209 replied:

@potatochip i had a look at TVB’s published result and income from partnership with China is their largest source (or 2nd largest). They have no choice but to continue to kowtow to the chinese. Income from paid station is going up though so hopefully, we will see more of Ali on TVB Gold/TVB Anywhere.

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
  8. nori says:

Honestly, Ali is the only TVB actress that I enjoy to watch by far as the station lacks of talents.

Login or Register before you can reply to nori
  9. xystus says:

Honestly as great as her acting is, the story itself is kinda cringe and should belong to anime lmao. Real life people enacting these kind of stories are just pure cringe.

Login or Register before you can reply to xystus