Celebrity Weddings: Sammi Cheng and Andy Hui’s Moving Vows in Bali

By on December 30, 2013 in Celebrity Weddings, NEWS

It was a 22-year long, on-again off-again battle for Sammi Cheng (鄭秀文) and Andy Hui (許志安), but the couple reconciled their differences two years ago and decided to become lifetime partners. While a small wedding ceremony was held in Bali, Indonesia in November, the couple will register their marriage in Hong Kong later.

Andy Proposed 7 Times

In a column Sammi wrote for a magazine earlier, she professed that she once had a fear for getting married as she has had many friends who had failed marriages. Andy proposed to Sammi seven times before finally succeeding in persuading her to marry him. He had attempted to propose to Sammi under different settings – on New Year Eve’s party, Christmas parties, Valentine Day’s parties, and reportedly even tried to play it down by asking her casually while the couple were on vacation, but Sammi turned him down in the previous attempts.

Andy tried his luck again this August during Sammi’s birthday party, which was attended by only close family members. Andy said in a brief interview days ago, “I did everything you could think of doing in a proposal!”

An insider said, “Andy lied to [Sammi] and said he had work so he couldn’t go, but he surprised her at the party. He showed up with her birthday cake and a bouquet of flowers. Sammi was very surprised and couldn’t stop smiling. Andy suddenly kneeled with his ring and proposed to her sweetly. The diamond was at least three carats! Sammi was teary and she said yes!”

The couple celebrated their engagement in Bali in November 2013. It was reported that Sammi did not want to beat the drum about the wedding, and Andy only told the news to their families. Andy’s Big Four bandmates – Dicky Cheung (張衛健), William So (蘇永康), and Edmond Leung (梁漢文) sent their blessings to Andy.

“Odd things always happen around Christmas time,” said William So with a laugh. “Honestly though, the whole world has been waiting for Sammi and Andy to get married. Now that Sammi has said yes, Rat [Andy’s nickname] has finally gotten his wish. We have also waited for this to happen for over two decades. We are all so happy for them now that they can be together. I hope they will be together until their old ages, and quickly have a little rat!”

Edmond Leung said, “I really didn’t know about this at all, but I am so happy to hear such great news. I truly congratulate them. I will personally go send them my blessings.”

“It’s so sudden,” said Dicky Cheung. “I seriously never thought Sammi would say yes. So the matchmaking my mother and I did for Andy years ago did not go to waste. The two of them can finally be together.”

According to a source, Andy booked a private beach hotel in Bali and forked out over a million dollars HKD on the flight tickets. The wedding was held at the Nikko Wiwaha Chapel, which could seat up to 40 guests. A popular destination for many weddings, the chapel is made of glass and is situated right next to the beach. At the wedding, Sammi did not wear an extravagant wedding dress, opting for a simple, slim and long white dress with sandals. Only about ten close family and friends attended the wedding.

After reciting their vows, Andy said, “We’ve finally walked to this step. Though there were many turns and crosses in the middle, we still managed to smoothly arrive to our stop. There may be rocks and thorns on our road ahead, but there is no need to be afraid, because I will be here with you. I was in love with the imperfect you of the past, and I still love the considerate you now. I will continue to love you just as much as I do now in the future!”

In tears, Sammi said, “I am very thankful to God for having me to meet him. He has protected me all these years. I used to be afraid of getting married and having kids, it was a class I was afraid to take, as I didn’t know how to break through it, but God has allowed me to overcome it step by step. Because of him, I have believed in marriage.” Sammi then made a promise that she will have kids, saying, “Please don’t give me pressure! I will take it step by step!” Andy burst into tears and laughter at Sammi’s words.

It is reported that Sammi and Andy will be registering their marriage in Hong Kong sometime next year, and hold another engagement party for their friends and family in Hong Kong.

Source: Oriental Sunday via ihktv.com

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

43 comments to Celebrity Weddings: Sammi Cheng and Andy Hui’s Moving Vows in Bali

1. j00ky says:

So happy for Sammi and Andy.. glad to see that their years together were not wasted. Congrats!

Login or Register before you can reply to j00ky
  2. Hannahh says:

wow congratz! still think Andy is not good enough for her lol
    As long as she is happy with him!

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannahh
    • yuaida replied:

Actually, I think she’s not good enough for most men…..an old has-been that’s past her prime and a typical HK leftover chick.

Login or Register before you can reply to yuaida
      • anonymous replied:

there are a lot of people who are over thirty and not getting married. better than some who have married and divorced 8 times like elizabeth taylor. and i’m sure you’ll be a has been soon too

Login or Register before you can reply to anonymous
      • U nasty replied:

U seem a bitter and lonley lady.i feel sorry for u.

Login or Register before you can reply to U nasty
      • annoymous replied:

@u nasty: I’m a man thank you very much.

Login or Register before you can reply to annoymous
      • Joyce replied:

Why r u saying that? Andy can never be as famous as Sammi and make as much money as her, that’s y ppl think he’s not good enough for her, beside I personally think Sammi is pretty and Andy yet RAT. He smart enough to dump his previous gf to reconcile w Sammi, u ur whole life can never be compare w her, calling her leftover chick? Bet u r one of them if u r an old woman, jealous. Anyway, wish both of them the best.

Login or Register before you can reply to Joyce
    • HeTieShou replied:

Why is Andy not good enough for her?i think they are both great for each other. But I hate it when some men and women think they are too good for their partner. If anyone has that kind of thinking, then why are you with them in the first place?

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • U nasty replied:

@ anon this was for yuaida not u.

Login or Register before you can reply to U nasty
      • HeTieShou replied:

I know but I was just speaking in general and was not aiming at anyone I particular.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • HeTieShou replied:

Meant to say in particular.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • anonymous replied:

@u nasty: sorry, i thought you were aiming at me…

Login or Register before you can reply to anonymous
  3. thewong says:

Why do Andy’s friends call him Rat? Because he…looks like one?

Login or Register before you can reply to thewong
    • Little fishy replied:

I think little brat is what’s he meant?

Login or Register before you can reply to Little fishy

Even his “brothers” were not there? Why such secrecy?

5. Moo says:

Gah! Congratulations to the couple! FINALLY … the ending that everyone had hoped for came true! All the best to these two kids! Yay!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to Moo
  6. hotNcold says:

i was almost teary reading this article.
    isn’t it very touching??? he tried for 7 times, 22 years of ups and downs and he is still there.

Login or Register before you can reply to hotNcold
    • irene replied:

7 times is certainly a lot!

Very touching indeed.

But I am curious about something.

If a woman reject a man, does he propose with a different ring or a same ring each time?

Login or Register before you can reply to irene
      • Jan replied:

I was just wondering the same thing reading this article lol

Login or Register before you can reply to Jan
      • bizzybody replied:

Maybe it depends on how much the ring cost?

Login or Register before you can reply to bizzybody
    • milktea replied:

I would think that is a bit extreme and seemingly play hard to get game, what did she try to prove? More fame, more wealth so what? This just cast doubt on her love for Andy. No offence. She may well be with only some western guy like Gigi Leung, which I don’t wish that to happen. Poor Andy.

Login or Register before you can reply to milktea
      • j00ky replied:

Sammi was NOT playing hard to get. She was going through her own personal demons for sometime. She has only overcome the demons in the last few years. Andy is still there for her, she slowly accepted it. End of story.

Login or Register before you can reply to j00ky
  7. shiok says:

sammi and andy attended anita mui tribute concert yesterday with many others superstars such as maggie cheung, jackie chan, eric, jacky cheung, andy lau, tony leung & carina lau; anita yuen (who picked the name anita as well as mui is her idol during school); george lam and sandy lam etc…i hope there is article on anita tribute concert by jayne soon..all the 4 kings heavenly there except the big shot Leon lai.

Login or Register before you can reply to shiok
    • gil replied:

I watched the tribute concert last nite, it was simple yet meaningful and touching. Sammi looks good and cool in that hairstyle.

Login or Register before you can reply to gil
      • HeTieShou replied:

Thanks for the info and hopefully there is an article about it soon.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  8. choco-bunny says:

what did sammi do to her face? She’s hardly recognisable!

Login or Register before you can reply to choco-bunny
    • waiting replied:

previous plastics and aging

Login or Register before you can reply to waiting
  9. lemongrass says:

Finally…

Login or Register before you can reply to lemongrass
  10. Mandy says:

Huh I’m confused. So are they already married or not? I think I’ve seen earlier reports saying that the ceremony in Bali was only an engagement ceremony, not a marriage ceremony.

Nevertheless, I’m happy for them.

Login or Register before you can reply to Mandy
  11. happybi says:

I am so happy for the two of them!! Finally together at last. Wishing them a happy marriage and lots of love!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to happybi
  12. anonymous fan says:

so happy for them! to be together after all those obstacles over 2 decades is not a simple thing. may sammi and andy live happily ever after!

for some reason, i have always wondered whether bosco and myolie would end up like this couple

Login or Register before you can reply to anonymous fan
    • Iris replied:

It is my personal wish that boscolie would be the same way!

Login or Register before you can reply to Iris
  13. Ang says:

This is one couple who I will definitely cheer for..their relationship has been tested much and survived. May they live long together and continue to grow in love…

Login or Register before you can reply to Ang
  14. windy says:

I don’t know but I always find this off n on again couple a bit boring. haha…

Login or Register before you can reply to windy
    • bizzybody replied:

Yeah. Stale news. On-off relationship and now that they’re both over the hill finally decided to switch it on permanently.

Login or Register before you can reply to bizzybody
  15. Angiepooh says:

How old is she?

Login or Register before you can reply to Angiepooh
    • sky replied:

google is your friend…if u can type it, then u can search it.

Login or Register before you can reply to sky
  16. Lillian says:

Is it coincidence? These two makes headlines each time they need attention for work. Sammi released an album, last few times Andy was having a concert.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lillian
  17. Agnes Tan says:

I am so happy for Andy and Sammi, The whole world waited for their announcement. . .and finally. . .so happy for them. All the BESt. Congratulation.

Login or Register before you can reply to Agnes Tan
  18. sky says:

asking someone to marry him 7 times? i would dump her selfish self after 3 times.

Login or Register before you can reply to sky
  19. samantha says:

Seven times????? I hope Sammi has a good prenup signed.

When Andy’s singing career was slowing down, didn’t Andy dated a rich old lady and also appeared in a movie where he was pleasuring himself in the film clip.

Login or Register before you can reply to samantha
  20. Iris says:

I am so happy for them! Congratulations! Perhaps fairy tales do come true =) May they have the enduring love and patience to work out a beautiful marriage.

And, btw, Addy, I think the original article mentioned that Andy cried at Sammi’s promise about babies, but he didn’t reportedly laugh. And Sammi’s vows included the line, “As for having kids, please don’t give me pressure. But I promise to get there one step at a time!” =)

Login or Register before you can reply to Iris
  21. Munkimui says:

It’s about time!!!! I really like Sammi! She’s great and from reading this article I found that I think the same as Sammi. I’m also afraid of getti g married, having kids, and saying YES. I’ve been proposed casially three times and never said YES. I guess I just don’t know how to. I’m scared!!!! I’m still with my first boyfriend of nine years and I’m his first and only girlfriend too. Or mayB I can’t stand his family.

Login or Register before you can reply to Munkimui