Hong Kong Artistes Raise Funds Through TVB Charity Show
Leon Lai, Andy Lau and others join in the televised program.
Held on June 6, Community Chest Charity Show <萬眾同心公益金> featured TVB artistes and Heavenly Kings Leon Lai (黎明) and Andy Lau (劉德華) participating in fundraising efforts to encourage Hong Kongers and aid the needy members of society amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Artistes Took Part Through Pre-recorded Singing
Celebrities including Andy Lau, Leon Lai, Paula Tsui (徐小鳳), and Joey Yung (容祖兒) pre-recorded songs for the program. Describing how Hong Kong as a city had weathered many storms, Paula called on Hong Kongers to support one another and show their perseverance in the face of challenges.
As an honorary member of the Community Chest, Leon also appeared at the event for the souvenir presentation ceremony and personally packed COVID-19 care packages for the needy.
His appearance roused the excitement of several actresses on set including Snow Suen (孫慧雪), Virginia Lau (劉溫馨) and Eunice Chan (陳詩欣). Eunice even tried many camera angles on her phone before successfully capturing a far-off “selfie” with Leon, which caused the latter to throw an odd glance in her direction.
Crystal Denied Returning Home Drunk
Appearing as special guests at the event were TVB artistes Owen Cheung (張振朗) and Sisley Choi (蔡思貝). Owen, who mistakenly thought Andy would show up in person, especially dressed up for the event but was disappointed to know he would not have a chance to see his idol. As for Sisley, she revealed that she would most look forward to work with Stephen Chow (周星馳) and Maggie Cheung (張曼玉).
Sharing that she had caught the last episode of The Exorcist’s 2nd Meter <降魔的2.0> while having dinner with her family, Sisley was touched to tears by the climactic scene of Kenneth Ma’s (馬國明) character Siu Ma shooting Hubert Wu’s (胡鴻鈞) character, praising Kenneth for expressing his emotions perfectly. When asked if she had screamed in opposition when rumored boyfriend Hubert was “shot”, Sisley cheekily replied, “Doesn’t matter if he is killed!”
Crystal Fung (馮盈盈) also did a live culinary demo on the charity show’s online page, with host Sammy Leung (森美) and Nancy Sit (薛家燕) complimenting her dish for tasting just as good as it looks. As for recent reports which mentioned she went home drunk after a party, Crystal denied the news and clarified she was merely feeling unwell and had required the security guard’s help. “I admit I was a bad example–my extreme fasting methods made me enervated and unwell.” Her parents were worried and advised her to move back home after the news reports surfaced, but Crystal rejected the suggestion as she wanted to learn to be independent and moreover her apartment lease period was not yet up.
Source: Ming Pao
This article is written by JoyceK for JayneStars.com.
doubt that stephen chow or maggie cheung would go back to tvb ever. no one is big enough to get them invited esp stephen chow.
Stephen Chow’s career and business interests primarily lie in the mainland, so there’s a lack of incentive for him to return to HK and appear in front of cameras. Even in the Mainland, he seldomly does interviews as he is no longer an actor and does primarily behind-the-scene work as a director and producer.
Maggie Cheung on the other hand has been out of the limelight for over 10 years. She hasn’t played a leading role in 15 years. I doubt she cares about the entertainment industry as a whole anymore, let alone TVB.
Maggie already said years ago that she has already done it all when it came to acting so she is pretty much retired from it. She actually got into singing and doing other things that she likes doing. She has already reached great heights in terms of acting so she did not feel there is anything ore for her act in.
TVB must’ve felt like they won the jackpot when Leon and Andy returned as these two have not stepped foot at TVB for well over 10 years (especially for Leon – probably over 20 years for him). Andy appeared in a Sandra Ng variety show hosted by TVB about 13 years ago, but that’s pretty much it. These megastars wouldn’t even bat an eye at TVB if it wasn’t for such extraordinary circumstances. TVB is such a failure.
Not true as Andy even said that if he had the time and TVB invited him for a series he would do it. But as he is always busy, he never has the time to. Andy maintained a good relationship with TVB as he knew that without TVB, he would not be where he is now.
Read between the lines, that’s Andy politely saying no.
1) Not having enough time is just an excuse because If Andy REALLY wanted to, he could, but he knows TVB can never afford him, and there’s nothing at TVB left for him to achieve, so he will NEVER film a TV series for them again.
2) Maintaining a good relationship with any business is a standard business practise anywhere you go in Asia, but that doesn’t mean he wants to film for them – maybe if it was a Shaw Brothers movie he would like a joint production between SB and his production company. Don’t forget that he also runs his own movie production studio. Perhaps, by maintaining a ‘good relationship’, he meant that there is a possibility that TVB and Andy can work together in the future in the capacity of a joint production.
3) I repeat, Andy will NEVER film for TVB again. It’s naive if you think that’s even a possibility. LOL
@anon It’s highly unlikely that Andy would film for TVB. However, that is where he started, so I understand if he wants to be polite & simply say he doesnt have time.
Not necessarily and if he wanted to pay back the favor, he can do it with low pay like Anthony Wong did. I do agree though that if Andy really wanted to, he can. It is up to him though so do not think you are him and anything is possible in this world. But yes, the possibilities of Andy filming for TVB again is low. However, if he did consider it, he can do a short tele movie instead of a full series. I never thought Anthony would ever film for TVB again but he did so anything is possible…
The chance of Andy returning to TVB to film a series is even lower than Anthony Wong.
Do you seriously not know why Anthony Wong returned to film for TVB?
It was for TWO reasons.
1) He owes his former ATV manager a favour since she gave him opportunities and helped him become a household name back in the days (According to Anthony, she begged him to come back since she now works for TVB). If you ask me, this was NOT the primary reason why he filmed for TVB. Sure it had SOME to do with it. This is a man that filmed garbage category III films in the early 90’s cause he was down and out and owe a lot of debt and had a family to feed (in his own exact words from past interviews). This was another one of his struggling (dark moments) of his career where he needed to take whatever jobs that was available to him. In other words, he hit rock bottom in mid-2010s, hence he took this TVB assignment.
2) Anthony Wong was blacklisted by Chinese entertainment and HK film industry during that time and is still completely banned in China, and partially banned in HK film industry today. Back then he had little income, he was literally a starving artist for a few years because of how opinionated he was politically. This was the primary reason why he filmed for TVB (my opinion). Presently, he still has problems getting movie offers in HK, and has focused his career in TW and doing broadway shows in HK (it’s an open secret in HK that you do stage acting only when you can’t land any filming jobs).
In essence, unless Andy is blacklisted in the mainland like Anthony was and is, and is making nearly zero income, he will never return to TVB for a series. However, Andy is smart enough not to run his mouth like Anthony did by advocating for HK separatism openly and publicly. So I’ll say that he will never film for TVB again, and yes this is my opinion.
Even if Andy is banned in HK and China forever, Andy will never have to work in his life again as he’s already extremely well off. He’s made millions over the years. His wife also comes from a family with multi-generational wealth as well. Anthony … not so much..
True but Andy struggled back then too. But yes now he is very rich but he spends a lot too so it is not like he lives the average life that we live. Anyways, think what you like as who knows the future. Heck if Donald Trump can become the president of the US then anything is possible in this world. Never in my life did I ever think that he can become president of the US but what is he now? Life and the future is unpredictable… Plus, Andy may do it out of favor instead of money too as he knows that without TVB, he would not be where he is now. Andy is the type that remembers everyone that helped him out in the past when he was going through tough times. He was not always rich like he is now and struggled like Anthony did too.
If it weren’t for Community Chest, I doubt Leon would have ever come back to TVB.
What’s the community chest?
@anon It’s a charity organization in HK. Leon has been the ambassador for the organization since the 1990s so of course he would return to help out (though on the program itself, he was onscreen for only like 2 minutes).
And technically, Andy didn’t “return”….he recorded a video segment for the event where he sang one of his old songs, which TVB aired on the program….to me, that’s way different from “returning” to film something live…people are making a big deal out of essentially nothing.
The 2 artists who actually set foot in TVB studio for the event were Leon and Paula Tsui…Andy and Joey recorded video segments….but of course, I can see why TVB-friendly media would hype it up as them “returning” to TVB…how else would TVB be able to associate these artists’ names to their advantage nowadays?
Exactly, that’s how much respect and time these megastars would devote to TVB these days. A few minutes on-stage and pre-recorded videos.
The main spoiler is crystal fung. It should be replaced with more singing instead of her endless talking
Hubert wu seem to be heavily promoted. Is he really that popular?
he’s probably promoted b/c he can sing and his role in the exorcist meter is popular. i started liking him after watcher EM2 too. he’s quite cute in the show. i think there hasn’t been such a promotable person in tvb since wayne lai.
@m0m0 true. Hubert is probably the only one with idol qualities… ie. can sing, looks pretty handsome, is a popular drama.
Wow, Paula Tsui is still around? Good for her for coming out for charity.
Of course as many retired artists often come out to sing for charity functions.
Comments are closed.