Gigi Lai Gave Birth to 8 Pound Baby Girl, Pegella

By on October 9, 2012 in Baby Scoop, NEWS

Gigi Lai (黎姿) gave birth to an 8-pound baby girl on October 8. TVB executive, Virginia Lok (樂易玲) who stayed in close contact with Gigi, confirmed the news and revealed that the baby’s English name is Pegella, while the Chinese name has not been decided yet. Currently staying at Cannossa Hospital, Gigi and her newborn daughter are doing well.

Marrying wealthy businessman, Patrick Ma (馬廷強), in 2008, Gigi retired from acting and has kept a low-profile since. In 2010, Gigi gave birth to a pair of twin girls. Gigi’s time is occupied by caring for her children; she relishes motherhood and the simple joys spent in the company of loved ones.

Photographed earlier with a bulging mid-section, speculations arose as to whether Gigi was once again pregnant with twins. It was also rumored that Gigi was carrying a boy in her second pregnancy, but the gender mystery of her baby is now finally confirmed to be a girl.

Patrick Ma was reportedly ecstatic over Gigi’s second pregnancy and lavished her earlier with a new house and yacht, totaling $430 million RMB. Patrick allegedly gave Gigi an investment sum to expand the operations of Cosmax, a beauty center that she has been managing for her younger brother, Lai Ying (黎嬰), since his debilitating car accident five years ago.

Source: Sina.com

57 comments to Gigi Lai Gave Birth to 8 Pound Baby Girl, Pegella

I think and bet there will be a 3rd attempt; for a son since articles says they now have 3 daughters.

• Bridget replied:

Ditto, Cathy Tsui’s fourth child was also a son (the oldest 3 are girls I think).

Login or Register before you can reply to Bridget
      • goddessofkrw replied:

Cathy only has 3 children. The third one was a boy.

Login or Register before you can reply to goddessofkrw
    • HeTieShou replied:

I think they will try again hoping for a boy too…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    • Kidd replied:

My first question was also ‘will she try for a 3rd?’ when I first read the article. Previous news did state that Gigi tried to give her husband a son.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
  2. skinnymocha says:

Pegella sure is a unique name. (I actually had a female Pegasus in my mind…)

Login or Register before you can reply to skinnymocha
  3. Hannah says:

Congrats!

Yeah, I’m sure the couple will try for a son. Well, they say the third time is a charm.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
  4. Nicole says:

lame name.

Login or Register before you can reply to Nicole
  5. Anna says:

How do you pronounce Pagella? Is it “Gella” like hair gel?

Login or Register before you can reply to Anna
    • Funn Lim replied:

Pa as in Papa? Gella as in Gel-la? Of as in g sound?

I also don’t know. Sorta complicated.

• Funn Lim replied:

Oh a latin word. Yes you’re correct! Just checked.

Being Chinese, maybe will end up as “Page La”

• Nicole replied:

sounds like rubella

Login or Register before you can reply to Nicole
      • skinnymocha replied:

Nutella <3

Login or Register before you can reply to skinnymocha
      • skinnymocha replied:

Gosh, I hope kids won’t make fun of that name.

Login or Register before you can reply to skinnymocha
      • TVBFanatic replied:

It’ll become “Peggy” in English circles I think…

Login or Register before you can reply to TVBFanatic
      • Funn Lim replied:

Or ella? That can be a nickname.

• Applelim replied:

I just love this webiste!! You guys are sooo funny and creatively thinking??

Login or Register before you can reply to Applelim
      • Gia replied:

You guys are making me laugh ! Can’t say I’m too keen
        on the name but is different.

Login or Register before you can reply to Gia
      • skinnymocha replied:

If I had a child with such a distinct name, may as well go the whole hog and nickname her Gelly/Gellie!

The name will be a little weird if her parents decide to send her overseas to study. Judging by TVB’s track record of designating English names, perhaps it’s not so “out there” in Hong Kong…?

Login or Register before you can reply to skinnymocha
    • Bridget replied:

I think it’s a hard G b/c it sounds Italian / Spanish.

I think Gigi Lai’s other two daughters’ names are Patricia and Gianna, which are also European-sounding and I think Gianna is also an Italian name.

Login or Register before you can reply to Bridget
  6. sky says:

man, how rich is this dude????!!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to sky
  7. JJ says:

Uh oh, not a boy

Login or Register before you can reply to JJ
    • larry 3 replied:

It would be funny if their fourth child is not a boy.

Login or Register before you can reply to larry 3
  8. Maria says:

Pegella is an awful name. Congratulations to Gigi and her family. Welcome to the world, Little Pegella.

Login or Register before you can reply to Maria
  9. Lucia says:

Congrats Gigi.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lucia
  10. happybi says:

Congratulations Gigi! Happy to know you have a safe delivery! May your children grow up happy and healthy! As for a boy…. only time will tell.. if one can afford it, why not have more children right?

Login or Register before you can reply to happybi
  11. ping0 says:

Congrats to the couples! Three daughters, I wonder how they look when they all grow up, I hope as beautiful as Gigi!

Login or Register before you can reply to ping0
    • JJ replied:

well, or, god forbids, looking like daddy

Login or Register before you can reply to JJ
  12. shoshotah says:

that’s just my cousin in hong kong. three girls. geeezzz…three little princesses!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to shoshotah
  13. Bubblez says:

Wow so happy for Gigi!
    The name is really unique.

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
  14. sau says:

doesnt matter if a girl or boy as long as the child is health and born into a loving family.. x

Login or Register before you can reply to sau
    • TVBFanatic replied:

Well said. Whenever anyone asked me about what I wanted when my wife was pregnant, all I ever responded was “a healthy baby.”

Login or Register before you can reply to TVBFanatic
      • HeTieShou replied:

I agree and it is sad that there is still a strong preference for a boy. It is good to have boys and girls so there is a balance,but hey what take what we get because we can’t pick. Anyone is lucky to have kids since there are many that want kids but can’t have any…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  15. HeTieShou says:

Congrats to Gigi and her husband on their new baby!!

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  16. Erica says:

:) aww, they can be the “Wild Swan” (3 girls)

Pegella– i definitely would like to see an interview where she came up with that name since i tried to goggle/bing the name up and there is like no real name with it…Also, how come they came up with an English name before a Chinese one???

Be Healthy Gigi Lai + her family ^O^

Login or Register before you can reply to Erica
    • Nicole replied:

Because they usually gets a fortune teller to come up with the best name for their daughter, like the strokes and characters etc.

Login or Register before you can reply to Nicole
  17. aptos says:

Relatively heavy baby by Asian standards…if in the future they want the #4 to be a boy, Patrick, the husband needs to get a full medical check-up to include his testes for a good sperm count and good luck.

Login or Register before you can reply to aptos
  18. irene says:

The dish paella came to my mind.

Login or Register before you can reply to irene
  19. sushiroll says:

she sure has bad luck

Login or Register before you can reply to sushiroll
    • Gar replied:

I wouldn’t say bad luck, a child is a blessing and unfortunately not everyone can have kids so even having another girl is a true gift. Like another person commented earlier, it’s not in your control.

Login or Register before you can reply to Gar
  20. Cloud says:

The name reminds me of flagella. Anyways, Congrats to Gig I and her family.

Login or Register before you can reply to Cloud
  21. Mika says:

Congratulations to Gigi ^_^ So the media was wrong this time cause i heard recently Gigi was going to give birth to boy twins? Haha the media these days.
    All the best to her,her hubby and daughters

Login or Register before you can reply to Mika
  22. Purple says:

Guy,

May I ask something? Why I’ve always seen that in Hong Kong’s entertainment industry, celebrities tend to find english name first before chinese name? For example, Sonija Kwok, Shirley Yeung, Ada Choi, Roger Kwok and Gigi Lai. When I read article about them having babies, they always said that they hadn’t decided chinese name yet. I knew that some of them are christian and that’s why they founded an english name first for them but some of them aren’t really christian but they acted like english name is much more important. Is this the culture that currently happens in Hong Kong that they emphasize more on english name instead of chinese name, or does this just happen in HK’s entertainment industry?

Login or Register before you can reply to Purple
    • Kidd replied:

It’s precisely because the Chinese name is important that they took longer time to choose a name. Like Nicole said in her earlier post, Chinese parents usually find a fortune teller to give the child a good name. The name need to match the child’s birth date and has good strokes, elements and meaning. English name is not that particular.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • Purple replied:

Really? But I thought they just need to translate their english name to chinese name or maybe the other way round? Because when we use translation, usually their chinese and english name match.

Login or Register before you can reply to Purple
      • Purple replied:

Correction for my comment above.

Because when we use translation to translate their chinese name to english name, usually their chinese name and english name match.

Login or Register before you can reply to Purple
      • Kidd replied:

@ Purple

Some parents did do this way. But, nowadays, most get the help of fortune-teller or think for a long time to get a meaningful Chinese name.

I also believe that the adult celebs (especially those born in HK) who have English name that match the Chinese name gave themselves that name when they are adult or their peer gave them that name.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • Purple replied:

Kidd,

I knew that when we translate Wang Lee Hom in chinese character to english, it will show Leehom Wang instead of Alexander Wang. Not sure about Chilam and Ekin. But the irony is that Leehom isn’t an english name, so maybe Leehom is Wang Lee Hom’s middle name and Alexander is his given name (correct me if I’m wrong).

However, I don’t understand why some people translate their chinese name(character) to english name, it really shows an english name, but when translate back that english name to chinese name, it doesn’t show back the real chinese name. How come? Which name is the one that they initially chose? The chinese or the english one?

Login or Register before you can reply to Purple
      • Purple replied:

Kidd:Do you know that Chilam’s, Leehom’s and Ekin’s real english name is actually Julian, Alexander and Dior respectively?

Yes, I know that.

Login or Register before you can reply to Purple
      • Kidd replied:

@ Purple

“but when translate back that english name to chinese name, it doesn’t show back the real chinese name. How come? “

This, I really don’t know. Maybe those who are born overseas like Leanne Li did get their chinese name from their english name. As for others, the chinese name could be their stage name and not their real name, like Arron Yan. His real name is Wu Geng Lin, but, he uses Yan Ya Lun as his stage name, which is a transliteration of Arron.

Note: Nowadays, Arron’s english name is spelled as the standard ‘Aaron’. But, I remember he himself used ‘arronbubest’ as his wretch blog url. So, I continue using Arron.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
  23. Grace says:

Gigi has a small frame, carrying a 8 lb baby must have been very tough!!! Congrats anyway!

Login or Register before you can reply to Grace
  24. Hannah says:

Pegella is a combination of all the family’s names.

Patricia – Patrick
    Gianna – Gigi
    Pegella – The family’s names together. P for Patrick, G for Gigi and A for he twins.

Srly, I can’t believe she came up with it, lol It’s different…

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
    • momo replied:

I wonder what name they’ll come up with if/when she gives birth to a baby boy. :P

Login or Register before you can reply to momo
    • Babycakes replied:

That is the most confusing explanation ever! I get the p for Patrick , g for for Gigi, but pls explain the twins part!?!? Where did the A’s come from!?! How does it explain the E’s and double L’s! Most made up name I’ve ever heard. Besides those African American made up names like D’antoine, lakeisha, LaWanda etc

Login or Register before you can reply to Babycakes
      • Hannah replied:

I’m sure the couple had to make up the other letters to come up with the name. They probably just wanted to include 1 letter from each member of the family.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
  25. Hannah says:

The A’s in Patricia and Gianna. I’m guessing that’s why her third daughter’s name also ends with an A.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah