“Bu Bu Jing Xin 2” to Commence Filming After Lunar New Year

By on January 14, 2013 in TV Dramas

A sequel to the smash hit mainland Chinese television drama, Bu Bu Jing Xin <步步惊心>, also known as Scarlet Heart, has been in the works since the time-traveling drama ended its original broadcast in September 2011. Last year, the drama’s production studio, Chinese Entertainment Shanghai, confirmed that a sequel is definitely in the making. However, rather than making a direct sequel that follows the events of the former, Bu Bu Jing Xin 2 will be a “reboot” of the main characters in an new story line.

Renamed as Bu Bu Jing Qing <步步惊情>, the modern drama will follow the life story of white-collar worker Zhang Xiao. Zhang Xiao was also the name of the main protagonist in Bu Bu Jing Xin, before she traveled back in time to become the royal Ma’ertai Ruoxi.

Other than the name itself to link the two productions together as one franchise, the plot in Bu Bu Jing Qing will not follow events that occurred in the final episode of Bu Bu Jing Xin.

Chinese Entertainment Shanghai disclosed that if all comes according to plan, the drama should be able to begin principal photography after Lunar New Year.

Cecilia Liu (刘诗诗) is confirmed to reprise her role as Zhang Xiao. Original cast member, Nicky Wu (吳奇隆), confirmed his starring appearance as well, disclosing that he has already received Bu Bu Jing Qing’s script. Kevin Cheng’s (鄭嘉穎) return, however, is still unconfirmed. However, the actor is “locked down” to star. Regarding his comeback for filming Bu Bu Jing Qing, Kevin wrote on Weibo, “I want to [film it]. There is definitely a chance to.”

Plot of “Bu Bu Jing Qing”

Bu Bu Jing Qing will center on the kind and intelligent Zhang Xiao, a white-collar worker. By chance, Zhang is hired to work at one of mainland China’s largest companies, the Zhentian Internet Group, in Shanghai.  Like most young newcomers in the business circle, Zhang is ostracized by her colleagues, who are jealous of Zhang’s talent. Fortunately, Zhang’s boss Yin Zheng, impressed with Zhang’s natural ability in business, protects her from harm’s way. Zhang and Yin develop a mutual attraction.

Zhang and Yin’s relationship are tested in the waters when she meets the high executive, Kang Sihan. Both Yin and Kang are the possible successors of the Zhentian Group, and Zhang finds herself in the midst of a power struggle in the family business.

Source: QQ.com

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

44 comments to “Bu Bu Jing Xin 2” to Commence Filming After Lunar New Year

I told you! I told you so!!!! It is a different storyline!! But similar to BBJX, except modern type. From the story, I bet she ends up with her true love, Nicky!

Bu Bu Jing Qing… now the title is corny. No new title?

But Scarlet Heart? As I have said many moons before and I shall again and shall continue to say into the future… urghhhh.. Scarlet Heart.. Scarlet as in red as in red or bloody heart as in a living breathing heart or Scarlet as in the one with the A word.. as in wanton.. as in wanton promiscous heart.. whatever it may be the title sucks… big time.

• Profile photo of jayne jayne replied:

Funn,
      Kevin Cheng may be too busy with “Ip Man 2″, but hopefully he will at least make a guest-starring appearance to complete the legacy.

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
      • Funn Lim replied:

Jayne, no way! He will make time! Because that other character is so him!!

• Funn Lim replied:

Wait!! Ip Man 2? 1 is not even out yet!

• Nelly replied:

How do they know Ip Man Part 1 will be a hit? They just rushing into Part 2 without thinking. Lets just hope this don’t backfire in their faces. If Kevin can’t be in BBJX sequel fully then maybe a quick appearance.

Login or Register before you can reply to Nelly
    • Funn Lim replied:

P/S SOunds like a cinderella story aka k-drama. I hope minus the stares and minutes without dialogue and the “I am totally so shocked the world falling down does not shock me as much as this” look.

• msxeroz replied:

I hate the title Scarlet Heart!!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to msxeroz
    • HeTieShou replied:

I had a feeling that the plot would be something like this too which is what I have seen in many modern series lately and for awhile now. I really hope that it will have a happy ending for this one. I wonder if Kevin can make it and really hope that he can. Is the rest of the supporting cast confirmed? I hope that they will all make it!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    • A Fan replied:

Aaargh! I’m a bit disappointed that there’re not goin to be a continuous story from 1st drama. What they’re doin is so predictable like so many HongKong dramas of old! If the story can be continued, it would be something refreshing to watch …. imagine this time Rouxi instead of knowing all the characters’ ending, in the new sequel she knows their past yet does not know how their future will unfold!!! ain’t it more interesting??? ….

Login or Register before you can reply to A Fan
    • Tinkerbell Swan replied:

Title is still great. Scarlet Heart can also pertains to be passionate. I believe that each character for the new drama must have something to be passionate about that drives them to act that cause conflicts in the story, especially with Cecilia Liu, Nicky and Kevin. It is nice if all the original princes characters are maintained. Possibly the remembered feelings and memories of the 4th prince to Zhang Xiao will be eminent. Whatever the ending is fine.

Is it final that Kevin will just be a guest? It will not be Bu Bu Jing Xin without Kevin as the main cast. Its kind a hard to imagine Nicky against anyone but Kevin.

Kevin, please make time for Bu Bu Jing Xin 2. We are excitedly waiting for the part 2 and really love to see you there again.

Login or Register before you can reply to Tinkerbell Swan
  2. khanh says:

really hope they get back the original cast for bu bu jing xin 2

Login or Register before you can reply to khanh
  3. Tracy says:

I hope Bu Bu Jing Xin 2 is good. Most of the time the first one are always good, then second one tend to disappoint the audience.

Login or Register before you can reply to Tracy
  4. Bubblez says:

I am highly anticipating this drama! I love the Cecelia Liu and Nicky Wu’s pairing! Hopefully it will succeed the first instalment. And i hope this one doesn’t disappoint the audience =_=

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
  5. HeTieShou says:

I like how they changed name and all so I guess it not really a continuation of BBJX. Therefore, I am not sure if they are really associated with each other..

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    • Emma replied:

eh yin zheng is not really a new name is it?
      and si han – yin si.
      they will try to retain something to help you make the linkage.

Login or Register before you can reply to Emma
      • HeTieShou replied:

I was talking about the title not the name of the characters..

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  6. Fox says:

The plot is so old

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
    • elle replied:

it’s old but it sells. :)

Login or Register before you can reply to elle
      • Funn Lim replied:

Yeap. Basically that is the plot for almost every K-drama. If done well there will be another idol drama sweep except the 2 leads combined age equals to 4 super juniors.

• HeTieShou replied:

They are banking on the success of the ancient version so they should do it while they can…I have a feeling that it will not be that bad but will be nothing new or unique. However, since many watch series for the cast anyways, I really wonder if they will even care for the plot????

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • Fox replied:

Not really. Look at wat happen to the K-dramas recently with this plot.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
    • HeTieShou replied:

What else are they going to do?? Honestly, I can’t think of anything else the modern version can talk about. The theme of the princes fighting for the throne is pretty old and redundant as well. Therefore, I don’t see what the big deal is if this one is.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  7. Emma says:

ending is already a foregone conclusion – she will be torn between nicky and kevin but her one true love is nicky and they leave happily ever after.
    kevin still is destined to be the underdog – given this – do i still want to watch this??

Login or Register before you can reply to Emma
  8. elle says:

yes, somehow the bittersweet moments in series attract viewers to watch is.

Login or Register before you can reply to elle
  9. P. Tan says:

Expectations run high for the now renamed Bu Bu Jing Ching and I hope they will be realized. So far the English title sounds terrble and why after so long,have they still not got Kevin’s script ready and his position confirmed? Is he or is he not in it?

Login or Register before you can reply to P. Tan
  10. j says:

omg that is sad :'( i was hoping they would contiue the story…how she would meet the 4th prince in modern day and blah blahblah

Login or Register before you can reply to j
  11. lychii04 says:

I want the sequel just so I can see everyone in the same drama again. But I hope the story isn’t too shabby so I can actually get into it. I loved BBJX so this better not be a letdown.

Login or Register before you can reply to lychii04
  12. Tegan says:

I suppose the raison d’etre for this drama is to reunite Liu Shishi and Nicky Wu onscreen and hopefully give them a happy ending?

I vaguely recall earlier rumours that Tong Hua would pen the sequel — wonder what happened on that front.

Login or Register before you can reply to Tegan
    • advo replied:

Is Tong Hua a script writer too? I never heard that she was going to write the script, but there were some initial rumours/speculations that she would be involved in the development.

Login or Register before you can reply to advo
      • Jiayi replied:

No mention of Tong Hua being involved, and Tangren have a track record of having bad original script writing…

Login or Register before you can reply to Jiayi
  13. advo says:

Eh, I had hoped for a more original plot? I still believe it would have been far more interesting to see her in modern time, with her memories from the Qing period in tact. This plot is basically the plot of every idol drama and has no relation to BBJX except the cast.

Well, at least I’ll finally get to see Nicky in modern and business attire! There’s a silver lining to everything.

Regarding Kevin, there is no way he’s not going to be in it. Tangren will do anything to get him onboard, and unless he’s really gotten that self-important, he will do anything to be able to be in it too. Unlike Gong and its rush productions, BBJX2 will likely be a big deal. The only one I would like to see, but they probably won’t get back is Yuan Hong.

Login or Register before you can reply to advo
    • sehseh replied:

Yeap, the plot screamed Idol Drama.

Login or Register before you can reply to sehseh
    • Tinkerbell Swan replied:

Why can’t Yuan Hong? Is he busy with other projects and can’t fit even a little time to BBJX2?

Login or Register before you can reply to Tinkerbell Swan
    • Li-Anne replied:

I was hoping for a continuous as well from where they left off. However I guess they wanna make it as if every “generation”, Nicky Wu and LSS will always be together in the show I guess.

Which I don’t mind, i love them together but I do hope its not a sad ending again. I don’t think my heart can take it again. Lol.

Login or Register before you can reply to Li-Anne
  14. Hannah says:

I’m skeptical about a modern version. Probably would have preferred another ancient series with the same cast. The sequel is not really a direct continuation. It’s just the same cast in modern days.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
  15. aehyu says:

Wow that was fast for a confirmation, it wasn’t long ago Nicky was ‘joking’ that neither he nor SS would do it…Karen sure does work fast.

Login or Register before you can reply to aehyu
    • advo replied:

I just read elsewhere that Karen is jumping the gun and neither Nicky or LSS are confirmed. Bit odd about LSS since she is under their management, but SS is going to shoot a 50 eps drama soon so how will she have time for BBJQ?

Given the very unoriginal plot, they came up with I pretty much don’t care about the sequel happening or not.

Login or Register before you can reply to advo
      • HeTieShou replied:

Now that I think about it, I am not sure if there is any point in making a modern version… Therefore, it does not matter if they make it or not. I guess the only thing that I would like to see if the cast reuniting again,however, the plot is the most important thing in any series.If the plot is not good then what is the point of having a good cast??

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  16. Jiayi says:

I wouldn’t be too excited about this “confirmation” all. Kevin and Yuan Hong is about to start shooting “Hua Xu Yin”, in which Kevin is male lead. LSS is starting to film “Sorry, But I Love You”-a 50 episode series. And I heard Nicky’s company is collaborating with another company to film a series soon…

If anything, these actors/actresses are “obligated” to film the sequel as a payback because honestly, the plot has been done many times already and it sounded like Tong Hua’s modern novel, which was already filmed starring Wallace Chung and Janine Chang.

Login or Register before you can reply to Jiayi
    • HeTieShou replied:

I wonder since I heard that LSS may be filming LXF as well so not sure… Time will tell and I already like the ancient version so am not too crazy for a modern version anyways…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • Jiayi replied:

Sorry, I’m a little slow…what is LXF? Okay, another rumor going around. BBJQ will start shooting mid-end of March. By then, Kevin and Yuan Hong should be done with filming their series, and so would LSS with hers. Nicky had confirm during his event that he’s in it…

Login or Register before you can reply to Jiayi
      • HeTieShou replied:

LXF is Lu Xiao Feng a Gu Long novel that has been adapted many times already. Not sure though since I just heard rumours about it,therefore,not sure because nothing has been confirmed yet… Time will tell all…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  17. P. Tan says:

Well, since the filming of BBJQ is supposed to start only in March and the filming of Hua Xu Yin to finish at the end of Feb. both Yuan Hong and Kevin may still be in it. Kevin was most certain he would be and that it was already confirmed. I may just be wrong.

Login or Register before you can reply to P. Tan
  18. Li-Anne says:

OMG! I was SO overjoyed when I saw Nicky Wu will be reprising his role! I mean I know that Cecelia was going to act in BBJX 2 already or BBJQ for that matter.

But when I saw Nicky Wu confirmed it, I was beyond happy!! I love them together!! I can’t wait for BBJQ!!! Any idea when it will be out?

Login or Register before you can reply to Li-Anne