Lin Xiawei is in No Hurry to Rise in Ranks

By on January 27, 2013 in NEWS, Star Interviews

When it comes to naming the fastest rising star of Hong Kong, Raymond Lam’s (林峯) younger cousin, Lin Xiawei (林夏薇), is definitely a name to remember. Twenty-five-year-old Xiawei, a former theater actress at the Hong Kong Repertory, joined TVB two years ago under the assistance of Raymond.

“I joined TVB because I wanted to get more experience outside theater,” said Xiawei, who only had acting experience in stage and film productions prior to signing with TVB in 2011. “For the past two years since joining TVB, I have received a lot of opinions of my performance from the audience. Whether it is criticism or praise, I am very happy to accept them.”

Xiawei had her Hong Kong television debut in the sitcom Til Love Do Us Lie <結‧分@謊情式> in 2011, starring alongside Kiki Sheung (商天娥) and Eddie Cheung (張兆輝). Critiques on Xiawei’s performance were generally favorable, but most noted that Xiawei’s acting was over-the-top. As a former theater actress, overacting is one performance technique that stage performers cannot bring over to film and television.

After graduating at the Beijing’s Central Academy of Drama, Xiawei had opportunities to perform in two Chinese theater productions and three Chinese films before her decision to move to Hong Kong permanently to join the Hong Kong Repertory Theater. Xiawei was then discovered by TVB, who encouraged Raymond to convince Xiawei to join the company.

Having risen to second lead roles in merely two years, Xiawei admitted that she has been very lucky. Immediately after finishing Til Love Do Us Lie, Xiawei was cast in Missing You <幸福摩天輪>, co-starring Linda Chung (鍾嘉欣) and Jason Chan (陳智燊). Xiawei is currently starring in the Lunar New Year television drama, The Day of Days <初五啟市錄>, portraying Sonija Kwok’s (郭羡妮) younger sister and the love interest of Raymond Wong (黃浩然).

Tong Nga Man, Xiawei’s character in The Day of Days, has been quite a challenge for Xiawei to portray. “She is a very spoiled and rebellious character,” explained Xiawei. “She knows her sister doesn’t like her to hang out with a gangster, but she does so anyway just to provoke her. It’s my first time to portray such a character. In real life, I am rather boyish, and it’s quite difficult to grasp the mindset of a wealthy Miss Xiguan.”

Despite the challenges and difficulties, Xiawei had great fun portraying Tong Nga Man. “She gets to wake up naturally and sleep until noon. That is impossible for me to do in real life!”

In regards to her vast improvement since Till Love Do Us Lie, Xiawei thanked her The Day of Days costars, Sonija Kwok and Sunny Chan (陳錦鴻), for their advice and reminders throughout the filming duration.

“I also want to thank TVB for giving me opportunities to portray such different characters each time. From Til Love Do Us Lie’s June, to Missing You’s Vincci, and to The Day of Day’s Tong Nga Man, I am able to experience different lives through these roles. I was someone of high demands and a perfectionist, and because of these traits, I was always under constant pressure. Now, I’ve learned to release my tensions and relax. When I am stressed, I will go take a walk at the beach, which calms me down.”

When asked about what she sees in her future with TVB, Xiawei happily said, “I am not in a hurry to rise in the ranks. I want to take things slowly. The only goal I have in my mind right now is to keep on improving with each role I get!”

Source: ihktv.com

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

How do you feel about this article?
Lin Xiawei is in No Hurry to Rise in Ranks

• Rosina Lam On Husband Jason Mok: “He Always Finds Time For Me”(1)
  • Kenneth Ma Finds Filming “Lord of Shanghai” Relaxing(1)
  • Selena Li and Kenneth Ma Generate Sparks in "Ghost Dragon of Cold Mountain"(49)
  • Selena Li Nearly Lost Life While Diving in Indonesia(19)
  • Synopsis of Kenneth Ma’s “Ghost Dragon of Cold Mountain”(58)
  • “Outbound Love” Finale Reaches 32 Points(39)
  • [Episodic Thoughts] "Outbound Love" Episodes 21 and 22(84)
  • [Episodic Thoughts] "Outbound Love" Episode 20(62)
  • [Episodic Thoughts] "Outbound Love" Episode 19(2)
  • [Episodic Thoughts] "Outbound Love" Episode 18(20)

• 51 comments to Lin Xiawei is in No Hurry to Rise in Ranks

1. Fox says:

Watching Days and this girl can really act. Her face can change the emo well. However maybe her status as LF’s cousin can affect her

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • Michael replied:

Her connection with LF can only help her. One would ponder if it weren’t for LF, would she even make it to TVB.

Login or Register before you can reply to Michael
        • Fox replied:

Her career was downgraded after joining Txb I think so. Before she was leading in stage, but now she hasnt been promoted at max yet. And now when her cousin LF isnt liked by Txb anymore and there is chance he quit the management contract with Txb, she might be affected if LF-Txb relationship go black.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
        • Yen replied:

I disagree with u on this Michael.
          One of the out-standing star that shines in Missing You is definitely her!
          I even love to see her more than the boring Linda ==!!
          And now watching the new Tvb drama The Day of Days, she just look adorable!
          And she definitely have the look and talents!!
          I was surprised now to know that she is actually LF cousin!!
          Even LF acting nowadays sucks compared to her >.<

Login or Register before you can reply to Yen
        • RAYLEILAFAN replied:

Oh no I hope Wei Wei’s career won’t be affected after Ray left TVB which is soon. She’s a promising actress and she’s quite pretty!

Login or Register before you can reply to RAYLEILAFAN
        • Catry replied:

Downgrade? She’s not as famous as you describe her to be. She’s gained much more exposure through tvb than she has ever been with theater. In the entertainment business it’s all about exposure and tvb has definitely helped her more than her theatre career.

Login or Register before you can reply to Catry
        • HeTieShou replied:

I actually have never heard of her until she joined TVB and was associated with Ray.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
        • Fox replied:

Famous and honor are two issue. Ppl know her more as a TV actress but how is the status? In HK, being a TV artist isnt that honored at all.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
        • Catry replied:

Neither is a theater artist. Especially when majority of the people have never heard of her before she joined tvb, where’s the honor? If she’s so honorable with theather, why join tvb? Who’s making her “downgrade”?

Login or Register before you can reply to Catry
      • 939393 replied:

yeah, she’s quite good for a newcomer in the tv industry. she doesn’t need raymond to succeed.

Login or Register before you can reply to 939393
        • Yen replied:

Super agree v(⌒ε⌒)v
          She is surely so much better than Christine Kuo >,<|
          And it's time for us to see some refreshing looks..
          Please stop with all those boring actresses!! Linda..Myvolie..Fala.. They had the same BORING look all the time!!
          Tavia changed my mind and still super loving her after watching Friendly Fire xD
          Still can't get over her cuteness portraying LamLam

Login or Register before you can reply to Yen
        • Fox replied:

She dun count on him from the beginning. They are independent.

Myolie is boring? Uhm your opinion is so different to me.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • lolo1 replied:

At first, I despite the fact that she rises so fact due to her connection with LF. SHe is not pretty at all. However after watching a few series that she is in, I think she can act and I like her as an actress.

Login or Register before you can reply to lolo1
        • looooooooooooooo replied:

she look like esther kwan

Login or Register before you can reply to looooooooooooooo
      • jessie replied:

Do not agree!! She can not act at all.. SO FAKE, her face is retarded, too skinny, the only good point is her big eyes, but the rest is probably fake just like LF…

Login or Register before you can reply to jessie
      • HeTieShou replied:

Speaking of Ray’s connections and all..I really wonder how supportive people would be if his sister joined the circle??

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
        • Fox replied:

If she has talents in acting, why let the connection blinds your eyes and dislike her for this ridiculous reason, right? I can see there are a lot of ppl who say continuously that they appreciate talents but they let something minor like connection in industry to ignore the talent.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
    2. Daisy says:

She’s already second leads in drama you can’t get any faster than that….

Wait never mind there’s Priscilla Wong with first leads already…

Login or Register before you can reply to Daisy
      • 939393 replied:

hahahaha. true to some extent. but i heard that priscilla was with another tv station prior to joining tvb??

Login or Register before you can reply to 939393
        • Daisy replied:

I think she was on a cable tv station but she was not an actress but an anchorwoman… So she definitely has connections to get her good roles on tvb.

Login or Register before you can reply to Daisy
    3. eve says:

she looks lik a young esther kwan, in dis pic at least

Login or Register before you can reply to eve
    4. pandamao says:

i really like her a lot. she took over Mandy Wong as a newbie fa dan potential.

she’s actually really pretty too!

Login or Register before you can reply to pandamao
    5. snoopy says:

She’s not very good in the new series Day of Day. The teenage girl type role doesn’t suit her. She’s too mature looking for it. Her role in Missing You, I like that better. More natural. I actually like her there more than Linda. I just don’t like the fact that people keep mentioning her with LF. I thinks as a newbie in TV she can stand on her own.

Login or Register before you can reply to snoopy
      • clamine replied:

Her role in Day resembles Katy Kung’s role in Bottled Passion – the same spoiled, bratty youngest daughter of a rich family. And she does look too mature as a teenager. But that’s tvb for you.

Login or Register before you can reply to clamine
        • 939393 replied:

haha yeah, she and katy even have the same costume and hairstyle! =.=

Login or Register before you can reply to 939393
    6. Exo jern says:

She looks good with short hair in Missing You, her acting is not bad. She actually kind of looks like Vin Choi!!

Login or Register before you can reply to Exo jern
      • snoopy replied:

I love her clothes too!

Login or Register before you can reply to snoopy
    7. Jessica says:

Her acting is not bad but she has no charisma. Too bad it seems like TVB is really promoting her.

Login or Register before you can reply to Jessica
    8. Lucia says:

Although her acting is not bad for a newcomer, she raises pretty fast in 2 years and she has been a second lead in a few series.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lucia
    9. Lucia says:

I meant she rises

Login or Register before you can reply to Lucia
    10. Lucia says:

Btw, that is a very pretty picture of her.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lucia
    11. AL says:

i like her too…of course i am a fans of Mandy Wong…but Lin Xiawei act pretty good…young and good looking (if you don’t think she is pretty…at least she is not bad looking la)…i don’t care if she is LF’s cousin…I look at her as herself…so add oil

Login or Register before you can reply to AL
    12. msxie says:

Hope she won’t be in any hurry to adopt a western name either. Lin Xiawei sounds very pretty and stands out among all the Lindas, Susies, and westernized wannabees.

Login or Register before you can reply to msxie
      • Lee replied:

Amen

Login or Register before you can reply to Lee
    13. Khanh says:

I’m not a fan of her. And pretty much she is using Raymond’s name everywhere. I’m Raymond’s cousin. Plus I don’t find her pretty

Login or Register before you can reply to Khanh
      • Fox replied:

Because it’s the fact that she is his cousin, you want her to deny?

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
    14. hcfoo says:

Not impress with her in TDOD but she’s not bad in Missing You. Maybe Linda Chung wasn’t outstanding in that drama so she stole the limelight.

Login or Register before you can reply to hcfoo
    15. RAYLEILAFAN says:

She’s pretty in MY. I found her more interesting and fresh than Linda in MY.

Login or Register before you can reply to RAYLEILAFAN
    16. Terminator says:

Now for the most important thing: how is her Cantonese?

Login or Register before you can reply to Terminator
      • dd replied:

Pretty goddamn decent considering she’s a mainlander.

Login or Register before you can reply to dd
        • Jen replied:

Well Raymond’s Cantonese is pretty decent for a mainlander too…

Login or Register before you can reply to Jen
      • 939393 replied:

WAAAAY better than eliza and christine for sure

Login or Register before you can reply to 939393
    17. Sel_fi_wu says:

acting is ok for a newbie and more natural looking than her cousin chok. but can’t deny that her quick promotion to second lead could be due to her cousin.

Login or Register before you can reply to Sel_fi_wu
    18. AC says:

I really liked her in Til Love Do Us Lie, her character was not really developed well in Missing You, and have not caught up with The Day of Days yet.

I find her acting to be really good for a newcomer and I really like her because she also seems really nice and friendly, who has become good friends with many of her costars.

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
    19. TN1 says:

Her character role for MU much suitable than dis TDOD too childlike for her, will c how d show ends up anyway.

Login or Register before you can reply to TN1
    20. Mlove says:

She is so annoying in this series. She look too old to act like a child.

Login or Register before you can reply to Mlove
    21. wow says:

just saw ep 6! love seeing her on the show!

Login or Register before you can reply to wow
    22. Terminator says:

Why is she keeping the Mandarin transliteration of her name instead of using Canto one?

At least use Lam (like her cousin) instead of Lin.

Login or Register before you can reply to Terminator
      • Fox replied:

LF’s family moved to HK when he was 2 and has houses in both places, but Xia Wei grows up in China until she works for HK stage federal and now Txb. Ppl keep using Mando reference to her name as its more famous. In Chinese text there is no different.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
    23. HeTieShou says:

Did she get a nose job?? Her nose looks higher and smaller than before…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • Fox replied:

Even the super big nose can be excused by fans as makeup, skinnier face, etc. then Xia Wei’s nose is easier to excuse.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox