Sharon Chan Ascends to Leading Lady

By on January 17, 2013 in Hot Gossip!, NEWS, Star Interviews

When Sharon Chan (陳敏之) first joined TVB in 2001, she did not have very high aims. “My goal in the industry was to be a supporting actress for the rest of my life. That way, not only could I attract the attention of the audience, I also would not have the responsibility to carry an entire drama on my shoulders. When the dramas suffer from poor ratings, the leading actors and actresses will be in charge of picking up the pieces!”

It took ten years for Sharon to achieve her goal. In 2011, Sharon won TVB’s Best Supporting Actress for her role as Ho Lee Ching in Ghetto Justice <怒火街頭>. “I thought my life story was pretty much done. I am finally acknowledged to be a supporting actress. It’s all I could ever wish for,” Sharon expressed.

That was what Sharon thought at first. “I once thought that I wouldn’t be able to lead in a drama, until I filmed 2011’s Queens of Diamonds and Hearts <東西宮略>. I’ve discovered that I am now prepared to be a leading actress. Now that I’ve finished filming Arrogant Man of Justice <法網囂雄>, I think I do have the energy to go for it.”

As for winning the TV Queen throne, Sharon smiled, “Never thought of it… I would be thrilled to get nominated though!”

Tomboy

Even before the broadcast of Ghetto Justice, Sharon has been known for her long, 42-inch legs. “I really didn’t want my legs to be the center of attention. I want the audience to recognize my performance,” said Sharon. However, her role as “Ho Lee Ching” in Ghetto Justice was known for her legs. Her role in the current television drama with Sammy Leung (森美), Friendly Fire <法網狙擊>, “Mason Ngai,” is also known for her long legs.

A scene involving Sharon showing her bra under a wet shirt had made some headlines before the broadcast of Friendly Fire. Sharon revealed that she took a small part in designing the scene.

“Since I was going to be wet anyway, I was thinking of ways to stand out. Wearing a white bra would be dull, and wearing a red bra would not suit Mason’s character. I finally chose to wear a black bra.”

Sharon enjoyed portraying Mason. In fact, Sharon sees a bit of Mason inside herself. “She is a tomboy, a bit naïve, and friendly. I think I am quite well-suited to play these characters. Coquettish roles like my character in Queens of Diamonds and Hearts really do not suit me at all!”

“Arrogant Man of Justice”

Sharon has recently completed her filming of the legal drama film, Arrogant Man of Justice, starring opposite Roger Kwok (郭晉安). The actress expressed that she did not know she was cast in a lead role until the producer released the drama’s synopsis to the cast.

“I was shocked. At first, I was very nervous. I was afraid that I would not be able to handle it, but after filming began, the fear I had for my performance slowly died away. I am quickly getting used to the pace. Besides, my role in the drama is something I’ve never played before.”

Sharon plays a lawyer who suffers depression after a miscarriage. She will also be at odds with her elder sister, portrayed by Joyce Tang (滕麗名), because of a string of misunderstandings.

“I’ve never done anything quite like this before, and it’s very fun to be able to do something different. I hope I will be able reach out to additional different roles in the future.”

Source: 3 Weekly via ihktv.com

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

• Review: Friendly Fire (by Miriamfanz)(20)
  • Tavia Yeung Had Car Accident in China(46)
  • Sammy Leung and Sharon Chan Share Friendship Snips(16)
  • Christine Kuo Has to Notify Family When Filming Rape Scene(27)
  • Sharon Chan Actively “Pursues” Sammy Leung(54)
  • "Friendly Fire" Spoilers for Next Week Revealed!(28)
  • “Friendly Fire” Script Irks Mainland Netizens(203)
  • Sammy Leung's Manhood Threatened by Sharon Chan(29)
  • TVB and CTI Compete for Most Controversial Scenes(21)
  • “Friendly Fire” Cast Pokes Fun At Their Car-Shaking Rumors(12)

• 68 comments to Sharon Chan Ascends to Leading Lady

1. lkv says:

She is okay 🙂 but should aim for leading instead of support

Login or Register before you can reply to lkv
    2. P. Tan says:

Life seems to be full of surprises for Sharon, one achievement after another, and now she is ready to be a fadan. All good wishes to her for a successful career ahead.

Login or Register before you can reply to P. Tan
    3. Mlove says:

You go girl. Sharon will do good. Joyce Tang, where have u been? Glad she’s back to act again. What happened to Nancy Sit. She don’t act no more, but hosting.

Login or Register before you can reply to Mlove
      • Michael replied:

I just looked at Nancy Sit’s photographs. Why does she have that on her forehand when she got old? Her teen photographs didn’t have it at all!?!?

Login or Register before you can reply to Michael
        • Djojs replied:

I’m sure her mole (beauty spot) in younger photos.

Login or Register before you can reply to Djojs
    4. kitty says:

So proud of you Sharon!!

Login or Register before you can reply to kitty
    5. Primrose says:

Sharon did great in GJ and Cant Buy Me Love. But I thought her acting was terrible in Queen of D&H.

Login or Register before you can reply to Primrose

Her best role to date is Mei San because she was understated and she shares wonderful chemistry with Sammy whom I think is fantastic in Friendly Fire. That man, don’t know what happened, can act.

However I have reservation about her in other roles. She talks too lazily, she is banking too much on sex appeal (see Friendly Fire and her super short shorts). Can she handle dramatic role well? Not sure but we shall see.

• Woot replied:

Best role to date is in FF. Her role in Queens of Diamonds as Chung Mo Yim annoyed the hell out of me. She in GJ is okay, nothing outstanding to me. The concentration on her legs is too over the top – they should cease it already!

Having said all these…I don’t see her as a leading actress. If anything, let Nancy Wu be promoted first.

Login or Register before you can reply to Woot
        • apple replied:

Strongly agree.

Login or Register before you can reply to apple
        • Fox replied:

She was Ha Wing Chun, not CHung Mo Yim.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
        • shu replied:

agree,i cant see her legs anymore although they are pretty but she is to fixed on her legs,her acting skills and charisma is so so,not better than the leading fadan tavia,fala or myolie.now with many fadan left, tvb gives her a chance to be first lead.

Login or Register before you can reply to shu
        • Woot replied:

Thanks for correction, Fox. I kept getting both names confused.

Login or Register before you can reply to Woot
      • Hannah replied:

Have to agree. It sounds like Sharon can’t take on other roles. She even said it herself, roles like Ha Ying Chun, don’t suit her. Hmm

I’m liking her performance in FF thus far. Despite the sex appeal, she seems natural, not like her previous performances.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
        • RAYLEILAFAN replied:

Sharon in FF is her best performance. I don’t know what happened to her but she’s great in FF in both her acting and her looks. I’m starting to think that she’s better than TVB’s current lead actresses eg. Myolie, Tavia, Linda, Fala and Kate.

Login or Register before you can reply to RAYLEILAFAN
    7. Mark Lim says:

Didn’t really admire her beauty until watching Ghetto Justice. She’s doing a decent job so far in Friendly Fire. Will be interesting to see how she will lead. Hope she gives the TV Queens a run for their money!

Login or Register before you can reply to Mark Lim
      • cloud9 replied:

i only notice her beauty and sexy legs in Friendly Fire

Login or Register before you can reply to cloud9
        • Djojs replied:

But did you see her towards the end in policewomen wear and her stand up poster. She looked common and not flattering at all.

Login or Register before you can reply to Djojs
      • Mr. Lee replied:

After what she did by not attending last year, I doubt she be TV Queen anytime soon.

Login or Register before you can reply to Mr. Lee
        • 939393 replied:

but why should she attend when she’s not even nominated? tv queen? long way to go for sharon.

Login or Register before you can reply to 939393
        • Mr. Lee replied:

939393, true though she should not have made those statements public and kept it to herself.

Login or Register before you can reply to Mr. Lee
    8. sandcherry says:

In terms of acting skills, Sharon Chan is way below Nancy Wu in acting supporting roles. Nancy is very well-rounded and versatile; she can handle all kinds of roles, good or villainous, sweet or bitter, strong or weak. Sharon can only show off her long legs and sexy images. Moreover, Sharon speaks with lazy intonations. Don’t know why Sharon Chan is given to act 1st lead roles while Nancy Wu isn’t.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
      • Funn Lim replied:

Why? Because she has killer legs, a willingness to be daring and let’s face it, on screen she is prettier.

• Crystal replied:

I actually think nancy is the better looking one. And nancy def looks better in ancient series. Something about sharon doesn’t give the wow factor and she is really thin now. Also, anyone notice sharon, rain li and kelly chen all kinda resemble one another?

Login or Register before you can reply to Crystal
        • sandcherry replied:

Sharon Chan is too tall for ancient drama series and her face is too modern. However, Nancy Wu is good for both modern and ancient drama series, and Nancy does not have lazy intonation.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
        • Funn Lim replied:

But Nancy does drag her words.

• Fox replied:

Because honestly, Sharon is more eye-catching than Nancy.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
        • sophia replied:

agree.

Login or Register before you can reply to sophia
        • shu replied:

or maybe she have a better relationship/connections with tvb managers/colleaques?

Login or Register before you can reply to shu
      • a-pop replied:

Easy to answer. Sharon have much more star aura compare to Nancy and she was eye candy. She is hot and sexy.

Login or Register before you can reply to a-pop
        • shu replied:

i think nancy is the more sexy one,although sharon expose her legs frequently will not say she is sexier than nancy?lol. and if she really have a star aura tvb already promote her to be first fadan ten years ago,why now?

Login or Register before you can reply to shu
      • 939393 replied:

but sharon isn’t that bad either. at least she worked her way to the top, unlike Aimee chan, who has ascended to the position of tvb’s 6th fadan without a sweat

Login or Register before you can reply to 939393
    9. apple says:

Is TVB has no better artists to promote meh…argraah…

Login or Register before you can reply to apple
      • shu replied:

agree,like eliza or jj or nancy is better than sharon.

Login or Register before you can reply to shu
        • Megamiaow replied:

Eliza?! he cant act to save her life (not even pretty even).

Login or Register before you can reply to Megamiaow
        • shu replied:

i bet eliza has the brightest future among al new comers of tvb.

Login or Register before you can reply to shu
        • 939393 replied:

the heck?! eliza and jj is better? you must be joking. they only depend on their cute looks and voice to gain attention. -.-

Login or Register before you can reply to 939393
        • Raina replied:

Eliza, christine, aimee are just bad… they are worse than when linda or bernice started. JJ is improving everytime I see her. Candy Chang is also better than the three. I think tvb is willing to promote anyone since there isnt any body left….

Login or Register before you can reply to Raina
        • Larry 3 replied:

Eliza is still in the beginning stage like a first gen iPhone…long ways to go in her lifetime. Her acting is stiff and needs more practice in Chinese.

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
        • Larry 3 replied:

JJ Jia is really improving. Sharon is also improving. Even Nancy is improving. TVB is lucky.

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
        • 939393 replied:

sorry guys.but i dont see any improvement in JJ’s acting. she’s just banking on her annoying voice tone that some might regard as cute. and constantly likes to act cute even though the scene doesn’t require her to be cute. it’s so annoying. she has to ditch the cute voice and cute facial expressions to improve i think. but she was pretty good in tiger cubs i gotta admit

Login or Register before you can reply to 939393
    10. pepe69 says:

sharon is one of the prettiest actresses in TVB to-date…I always consider her very sexy & pretty since her “3rd tier” roles many years ago… she started as model, she is tall, slim & sexy…every men ‘worship’ her beauty. many TVB actors including kenneth has tried to date her but she ignores all her colleagues advances as she has her own outside bf who has stand by her during her darkest moment when she got kidney-inflammation & hospitalise due to “slimming product” test trial (i guess) that belong to one of the TVB famous actress

Login or Register before you can reply to pepe69
    11. Magic says:

Her role in Justice Attack is my favourite role of hers. Her acting was also a lot better than in Queens of Diamonds and Hearts. Kind of disliked Sharon before JA but she’s slowly growing on me.

Login or Register before you can reply to Magic
      • Magic replied:

Friendly Fire* not Justice Attack. Oops

Login or Register before you can reply to Magic
    12. Applelim says:

Sharon has been in TVB for a long time. Seen her in some old TVB series and she is good. Now an even better actress. Surprised that she is not in leading role before.So more of Sharon in leading roles please

Login or Register before you can reply to Applelim
    13. ebbie says:

All she needs now is a good role. Hopefully the new series is great.
      Good luck

Login or Register before you can reply to ebbie
    14. JP says:

Sharon is much prettier than Nancy any day!

Login or Register before you can reply to JP
    15. Michael says:

Stop saying Sharon has 42 inch legs. She said she measured it and the number is a few inches longer than that.

She has been showing her legs off throughout this series. I find her a tad too skinny but don’t stop showing those pins. Men likey.

Login or Register before you can reply to Michael
    16. happybi says:

Think she is great! Look forward to see her in a leading role! Think she’ll be great!

Login or Register before you can reply to happybi
    17. SA says:

But not series after series, like getting sick of Tavia (pointed-nose) Yeung.

Login or Register before you can reply to SA
      • sophia replied:

so rude

Login or Register before you can reply to sophia
    18. NP says:

Wow, opposite Roger Kwok… Now that’s an opportunity if I’ve ever seen one. Good luck, Sharon!

Login or Register before you can reply to NP
      • 939393 replied:

she worked beside Roger in Queens of Diamonds and hearts as well. but it was a flop.

Login or Register before you can reply to 939393
    19. AC says:

I was surprised that she’s the first female lead in Arrogant Man of Justice since I thought it would have been Selena since she’s been lead in other series before, but I’m very happy for Sharon.

Do I think she’s a great actress? Not really.. but I do think she has a lot of charisma and charm and will be good in lead roles for more light-hearted series. She also seems to be a hard worker and is very friendly to her coworkers so that’s why I like her and am rooting for her.

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
    20. BLing says:

She’s really pretty.

Login or Register before you can reply to BLing
    21. Larry 3 says:

Episode 23 was something, especially in the beginning…

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
    22. Lilly says:

She was the female lead in Devil’s Disciples!

Login or Register before you can reply to Lilly
    23. Sand says:

I like her acting and like others have said, at least she put in hard work to get to where she is and not on the fast track promotion rate because of relationships/ favourtism..

Login or Register before you can reply to Sand
      • 939393 replied:

agreed

Login or Register before you can reply to 939393
    24. AL says:

I personlly like Sharon more than Nancy…don’t know why…anyway…add oil..

Login or Register before you can reply to AL
    25. Kacey says:

It good to hear that Sharon in a leading role. Can’t wait to want the movie.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kacey
    26. Kacey says:

Tvb should give Sharon more leading role.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kacey
    27. TMD says:

Don’t get me wrong. I like Sharon. Love watching her in comedies. She seems like a sweet, hard-working girl with lots of friends in the industry but…not everyone is cut out for acting, no matter how hard you try.

“Sharon plays a lawyer who suffers depression after a miscarriage.”

Lawyer? When she can’t even speak proper Cantonese without lazy intonations?

Depression after a miscarriage? I’m already dreading the sad, dramatic, crying scenes…

Login or Register before you can reply to TMD
    28. hannahh says:

I think she should stay as supporting roles, but never knows TVB are short of staffs

Login or Register before you can reply to hannahh
    29. myra-belle says:

In Queens of Diamonds and Hearts, I was disappointed, but not only because of her but also of Roger and Fala. Oscar was great and I liked Louis, too. As a whole, this series was only average. It had some good moments but was overly draggy and unneccessarily dramatic. And the twists ware laughable, but not in the funny way.

Sharon can have her next leading role. I don’t oppose that. I wish her good luck. It would be great if this is going to happen to Nancy, too.

Login or Register before you can reply to myra-belle
    30. Suzevil says:

Sharon doesn’t have what it takes to be a leading lady; at least, not yet (far from it actually). Her performances lack depth and emotion. She always has the same wooden face and wooden speaking. She simply recites the lines and goes through the motions, which is not acting. I don’t think she deserved the Best Supporting Actress award at all.

Also, I’m tired of her and TVB trying to bank on her long legs. They’re nothing special — just long and twig-looking! If she had long AND toned legs, that’d be a different story.

I sound like a major hater, but I’m just tired of all these mediocre actors and actresses getting the lead roles. I wish Joyce Tang was the one playing the lawyer with depression instead.

Login or Register before you can reply to Suzevil
      • sophia replied:

yes you dont like her. accept it. its okay. i dont like ziyi zhang.

Login or Register before you can reply to sophia
    31. Eunice says:

Does anyone know what dress Sharon is wearing on the last episode? The white one.

I’ve seen it on a website before, and wanted to get it, but I forgot the brand now. If anyone knows, let me know, thanks!!

Login or Register before you can reply to Eunice