JayneStars.com logo

Aimee Chan Becomes Pregnant After Rape in “The Last Steep Ascent”

By on September 20, 2012

Aimee Chan Becomes Pregnant After Rape in “The Last Steep Ascent” thumbnail

Adapted from one of China’s most moving real-life love stories in recent years, The Last Steep Ascent <天梯> started airing in Hong Kong on Monday, September 17. In TVB’s version, a family inheritance battle, marital infidelity, and even a rape scene have been added to suit the local audience’s taste for dramatic plots.

Producer Lee Tim Shing’s (李添勝) The Last Steep Ascent has all the right ingredients to become a blockbuster drama. Revolving around the story of Lau Kok Gong, who hand-carved 6,000 steps in the mountains for his beloved wife over the course of fifty years, the first episode of the drama has already succeeded in making the audience burst into tears.

In the premiere episode, Maggie Cheung’s (張可頤) character is seen in her old age, lingering on the “steps of love” that her deceased husband, Moses Chan (陳豪) left behind. The lines, “If you truly care for someone, you are able to accomplish anything,” and “Each time, you clasp my hand when we are walking; this time I have to go alone,” moved the audience, hooking them to watch ensuing episodes.

The Last Steep Ascent may be a bitter ride in the midsection before turning sweet.  Both female leads, Maggie Cheung and Aimee Chan’s (陳茵媺) characters suffer tragic experiences, making their face awash with tears until they fortunately find blissful love the second time around.

In San Francisco, Aimee Chan’s character falls in love with Cheung Kwok Keung (張國強). It was not until returning to China that Aimee realized that he was already married to Maggie Cheung. Upset with her husband’s infidelity, Maggie brought her mother-in-law (Helen Law 羅蘭) to scold Aimee for being stealing her husband. Maggie angrily slapped Aimee’s face.

Turning her sorrows to wine, Aimee was raped by a rogue, which caused her to become pregnant. Crying bitterly, Aimee attempted to drown herself. Although Aimee was saved by Kenny Wong (黃德斌), the suicide attempt caused her to suffer from a miscarriage.

“I was not embarrassed during the filming of the rape scene. My character is very tragic. Many unfortunate incidents happened to her. Fortunately, she met a man (Kenny Wong) that she can rely on later in life,” Aimee revealed.

Sources: Sudden Weekly #895 via kuangaitvb.comifeng.com

Tags: , , , , , ,

• "The Last Steep Ascent" to Air on September 17(65)
  • Spoilers for "The Last Steep Ascent" Revealed(16)
  • Moses Chan and Aimee Chan Promote "The Last Steep Ascent"(89)
  • Moses Chan and Kevin Cheng Compete for TV King(102)
  • Episodic Thoughts: "Beauty at War" (Episode 3)(5)
  • Aimee Chan Unaffected by Criticism Against Best Actress Nomination(74)
  • Aimee Chan Wants to Be an Excellent Actress(91)
  • Review: "Master of Play" (By Miriamfanz)(9)
  • Aimee Chan Had Fight with Moses Chan Over Drama Role?(78)
  • Aimee Chan Denies Abandoning Cats: "I'll Take Them Back!"(37)

• Readers' Comments (38)

1. Terminator says:

“A rape scene has been added to the local audience’s taste”

Huh? Are they suggesting HK’ers are a pretty sick brood?

• Lee says:

They mean that the rape scene was done tastefully so that it wouldn’t offend the audience’s sensibilities.

• smile says:

Any show w/her (Amiee) in it is offendsive.

• Terminator says:

If that were the case, they could’ve left it out but instead the scene was added as though local taste demanded it.

• Jayne says:

Terminator,
          The local audience’s taste is for dramatic plots. The rape plot leads to the suicide attempt and miscarriage, which adds to Aimee’s tragic character, perhaps earning more points with viewers and jerking their tears.

• smile says:

I hope your right Jayne…about the scene helping the audience possibly like her more. I’m just afraid it might just make me hate her acting even more. I couldn’t stand her little acting sobbing scene in the Other Truth….where she clamed to be rapped!

• Funn Lim says:

What is a love story without a rape scene eh?

2. RK says:

Hopefully the rape scene is nothing like the one in that other series.. Forgot the name..

3. GWY says:

I hope her acting did improved. But I still dont think her cantonese accent suit this drama. She should stick to modern days drama. When she was being interviewed about her character in this show, she wasnt really able to explained it that well.

4. sky says:

i don’t like the title of this topic.. :(

• Tegan says:

Yeah, I was shocked for a couple of seconds when I read the first six words.

• Applelim says:

I assume all articles are translated word for word. HK media do use the dramatic headlines all the time to catch attention. I have seen quite a few misleading and shocked headlines for articles!!

5. Hannah says:

Aimee’s look isn’t appropriate for pre-modern or ancient series. She only fits modern series.

I wouldn’t be surprised if she grabbed Best Supporting this year.

• GWY says:

Yes, definitely a mis-cast.I agreed she will probably win an award and be nominated for a few more. LOL. TVB wants to keep their favorites happy even though the acting is mediocre.

• smile says:

What best supporting??? That’s a total insult to the acting industry!

• Tegan says:

“I wouldn’t be surprised if she grabbed Best Supporting this year.”

I’m starting to think so too after reading this story description. Rape storylines are like awards bait.

• llwy12 says:

You guys are probably right….as much as I hate to say it, unfortunately, Aimee is pretty much guaranteed to get at least one nomination at this year’s awards (though my guess is that she will probably get several nods in various categories –I’m sure TVB will figure out a way to do it). As for whether she will win or not, it depends…if audiences react strong enough in opposition to it, there might still be a chance that she won’t win….but then again, it also depends on who else ends up getting nominated in the same category…
        Looks like I’m most likely going to skip this series….cuz watching the previews (which contained a few of Aimee’s ‘crying’ scenes in there) already gave me a headache…seeing that Aimee will have a significant role in the series, I don’t want to waste my time having to forward through all her scenes….

• Hannah says:

To increase Aimee’s chances of winning, TVB will 1. make her character stands out in the top 5 list. So, TVB will probably nominate other actresses in roles that are not so-hot. 2. the top 5 list will comprise of actresses that are not-so-deserving-of-the-spot (Christine Kuo for GJ2, Eliza for DID, etc.)

• OMG says:

She will win the supporting actress TVB award this year. Then next year, the best leading actress award.
          Who knows, the Oscar next if she plays her cards right.

• Tegan says:

Actually, this reminds me a bit of Fala Chen’s role in No Regrets, in which her character had a scene where she takes off her clothes and offers herself to the Japanese general. Fala then went on to win Best Supporting, even though the character of Lau Ching was easily the most boring part of the series.

6. llwy12 says:

Hmmm….maybe it’s just me, but I actually didn’t find the first episode that ‘emotional’….when I first read the original story about Lau Kwok Kong and his wife and the building of the ‘love ladder’, I was so moved that I cried. I felt absolutely nothing during the first 10 minutes of the series when Moses dies and Maggie starts running down those steps….

I actually don’t like how they added the whole family inheritance and love triangle thing to the story…I mean, I definitely understand WHY they did it, but I just feel that it takes away from the original story. If they were going to add all that stuff to it and make that be the focus of the series rather than the original story part, I would much rather they just make an entirely different series and not call it “based on a real life story”….cuz in reality, only about 10% of it is based on real life…the rest of it is completely made up…

• lol says:

lol. You mean reading the story is better and moving to tears than watching the series.

• llwy12 says:

Yup…that’s exactly what I mean. In fact, for those who intend to actually watch this series, I suggest NOT reading the original story until you’re done watching the entire series — because it will most likely affect how you feel about the series…

• Anon says:

I love the true story and almost teared up reading, but I can’t get myself to watch the series or be interested.

• Tegan says:

So Episode 1 starts in present day and then they flashback to the beginning of the story? (I have yet to watch this series.)

Yeah, I think this narrative device doesn’t always work well.

7. TN1 says:

Episodes 1-3 kinda boring, over-acting in some parts from those country bumpkins. LawLan and Maggie’s scenes an A+!

8. Hannahh says:

i downloaded 4 eps but still haven’t got a chance to watch it yet.

9. lol says:

Aimee get raped. Kate Tsui injects drug and sell drugs. TVB sure know how to get attention for their intended award finalists.

10. Amy says:

Why don’t TVB cast Moses and Aimee as couple in drama? sure sells!

11. Gar says:

Aimee’s face definitely does not suit this era. Should have found someone else to portray her character.

• GWY says:

Agreed totally! I watched the 4th episode yesterday nite. I wasnt able to get into her character especially her accent. It was not believable to me. Her acting still needs lots of improvement. She should not have been casted in this role especiallly since it is one of the main characters!

12. dyml says:

Just wondering, why do so many people not like Aimee Chan? There are many other actors and actresses with accents….Doesn’t Kennth Ma have a very heavy accent and his acting looks stiff and not natural and people seem to like him…

13. salamander says:

Kate Tsui will also be gang raped and pregnant in HAL so not only Aimee can get the raped limelight. Kate’s character is more tragic than Aimee. Gang raped, takes drug until have seizures, and later forced to be drug dealer. I sense an award for Kate!

14. Yuki says:

Did Aimee come out yet? How was she?

Readers are no longer able to comment on this old article.

• JayneStars News Subscription

Never miss any of JayneStars' hottest entertainment news!

Enter your email address: