JayneStars.com logo

Bobby Au Yeung Hospitalized for Pneumonia

By on February 12, 2013

Bobby Au Yeung Hospitalized for Pneumonia thumbnail

Bobby Au Yeung (歐陽震華) was rushed to the hospital last night after he developed acute pneumonia. Bobby is currently in the intensive care unit (ICU) and will remain hospitalized for 1 week. Although he has regained consciousness, he is not yet clear-minded.

Bobby’s pneumonia was caused by swallowing food too quickly, which entered the windpipe and subsequently his lungs. On February 11, Bobby and his wife,  Rosanna Fu (傅潔嫻), had met with Michael Tse (謝天華) and Michael Tao (陶大宇) at a friend’s house for dinner.

Currently staying at Ruttonjee Hospital in Wan Chai, Bobby received a bronchoscopy and antibiotics. It is not clear as to when Bobby will be transferred from the ICU to a regular hospital room.

Today at 4 PM, Bobby’s wife Rosanna and his manager Lydia were seen at the hospital visiting. Stricken with worry over Bobby’s condition, Rosanna’s eyes were red.

Lydia clarified rumors that drinking alcohol had caused Bobby’s pneumonia. When prompted by the press, Lydia said, “It’s okay, it’s fine, it’s fine. It should not have anything to do with drinking. The doctor said that he had swallowed too quickly and [the food] entered his lungs.”

Source: ihktv.com; On.cc

Tags: ,

• Bobby Au Yeung Finally Leaves the Hospital(5)
  • Bobby Au Yeung's Condition Stablized; Leaves ICU(12)
  • Johnson Lee Replaces Bobby Au Yeung in Upcoming TVB Drama(19)
  • Review: "Always and Ever" (By Funn)(40)
  • Bobby Au Yeung Upset with “Always and Ever” Ratings(74)
  • Bobby Au Yeung on Working with Esther Kwan(13)
  • Bobby Au Yeung Offers to Don Swimwear to Boost Ratings(11)
  • "Always and Ever" Peaked at 31 Points in Premiere Week(44)
  • Esther Kwan Feels Guilty for Neglecting Husband Nick Cheung(31)
  • Esther Kwan Finds Perfect Partner in Bobby Au Yeung(22)

• Readers' Comments (39)

1. sandcherry says:

That was the first time I heard about this problem. Wow, it could be so serious. Therefore, we should never swallow food too quickly.

ICU? That’s serious. Pneumonia is serius. Penumonia can be standalone or due to something worse. But I never heard of alcohol causing pneumonia. Does it?

3. Mlove says:

Poor Bobby. Get well soon… :(

4. Bubblez says:

I hope Bobby gets better soon :)

5. gold says:

i had pneumonia twice, don’t remember about the first but the second was due to flu/cold, the doc gave me a jab, i went home to rest and cough out phelgm for a few months

6. HeTieShou says:

I did not know that swallowing food quickly would cause pneumonia. My parents have had it and it was scary… Hope that Bobby will get better soon.

7. pino says:

pneumonia can be very dangerous,hope he will survive this and recover soon.

8. skinnymocha says:

Gosh. Hope you recover soon, Bobby.

9. snake says:

Pneumonia can be very serious. If bronchoscopy was done, there must have been something even more serious. Hope he is OK and this just be pneumonia.

10. Observer says:

Bobby hope you recover soon

11. sure-lee says:

Hope he gets well soon!!!!

12. wen wen says:

Bobby take care and get well soon.

13. ebbie says:

This is quite shocking!!!
      Get well soon Bobby!!!!

14. Lucia says:

I hope you recover soon Bobby!!

15. Cara says:

Hope he recovers soon and take care of himself!

16. dd says:

It’s pneumonitis not pneumonia. 「肺炎」 covers both pneumonia and pneumonitis but pneumonia is usually a lot worse.

>Will he die?
      He’ll be fine. No-one dies from pneumonitis or pneumonia unless you live in some third world country without proper antibiotics and stuff.

So you gals out there with dust allergies or if you’re living in Beijing, face mask, pronto.

17. gold says:

good thing about bobby is he did not go for plastic surgery

18. Eunice says:

Hope Bobby will recover quickly. And take care! Health is most important.

19. megamiaow says:

Swallowing food too quickly? Is it me or does that sound totally crazy…

• dd says:

There are two entrances to your body which can be entered through the mouth and nose: one is the windpipe that feeds air to your lungs and the other is straight to your stomach and out through your butt.

If you eat too quickly and food/water goes through your windpipe (the feeling is sort of when water goes up your nose when you swim) then your lungs can get inflamed (they can be scratched or cut from food particles or pollution in the air esp. in cities with bad air quality)

• Jayne says:

dd,
          Thanks for lending your medical insight. I also read the same thing on some online medical sites prior to drafting the article in order to understand Bobby’s situation better.

This is a bit off topic. But I have been taking a Hong Kong herbal supplement called 京都念慈菴川貝枇杷膏 (with primary ingredients of honey and loquat) to reduce mucus and cough. I tend to have a lot of mucus buildup easily, which is probably an indication of inflamed airways. I can get rid of dust at home, but pollen in the spring time tends to make my condition worse.

The product promises to nourish the lungs. Aside from taking supplements like this, what are other things I can do to prevent more mucus buildup and nourish my airways? It’s something long-term which I would like to implement if possible.

I already take multi-vitamins, fish oil, and spirulina pills. But these are primarily for overall health, reducing inflammation and to get more energy.

Your medical insight would be greatly appreciated as always.

• dd says:

There’s no cure-all for mucus build-up, but finding the source of it might be a start to lessen it if it’s affecting your life. And what this means is changing a few habits like quitting smoking, seeing if you have any food allergies in your diet, cutting out fatty foods or going gluten-free, drinking ginger and honey teas, drinking lots of (warm-hot) water. Breathing in steam is helpful, when you shower just try to cough up a bit every morning to clear your throat a little.

Lastly there are medicines which you can use from time to time to thin out the mucus so you can cough it up easily, but no-one wants to stay on drugs their entire life so getting it down to manageable levels is what you want at the end.

When I was a kid my mum made me a soup using 川貝 which tasted like crap but I guess it helped a little. Cut up a snow pear and stew it with the bulbs and it balances out the bitterness.

• Jayne says:

dd,
          I don’t drink nor smoke. But I did breathe a lot of secondhand smoke from my father for more than two decades while growing up, which may explain the weak condition of my lungs.

“Cutting out fatty foods or going gluten-free, drinking ginger and honey teas, drinking lots of (warm-hot) water.”

I don’t have any known allergies to any food products. If you don’t mind explaining on a more detailed level, how the above food products (fatty food and gluten-free foods) would help the body on a biochemical level to reduce inflammation and mucus buildup so I can understand better, that would be great.

My weakness is refined sugar. I like anything that tastes sweet and can’t seem to stop eating it.

I find that ginger tends to dry up and irritate my throat. The warm water does help my throat, while cold liquids irritate it. Most of the time, I drink room temperature liquids, which don’t do much either.

川貝 is not too bad tasting. Just kind of bland. I also have high cholesterol (thus the high fiber diet) so I try to avoid making the traditional Cantonese soups which require a lot of meat bones/chicken to make them flavorful.

Thanks dd for your response, as I’ve been sick on and off for almost a month. I coughed up so much mucus at the worst point of my flu and felt so frail. I hope to take care of myself going forward.

• dd says:

So when you’re allergic to a food, your body reacts to it by resisting it or outright rejecting it. You may have heard that peanuts can kill people by swelling up the airways and suffocating them, but other reactions can include rashes or runny noses or coughing due to phlegm and itching.

I’m not a nutritionist so I don’t have the exact answer but mucus build-up is related to the breakdown process of proteins in meats and stuff like breads/wheats.

So, sugars (chocolate most likely, you can never stop at one), dairy (milk), caffeine (coffee, coca cola) are the main culprits. It’s a balancing act in the end really, you don’t need to outright cut them out in your life because you need to eat bread and you need sugars, but you just need to sacrifice just enough so that it’s manageable: eg. no more coffee, getting your sugars from fruits, eating gluten-free breads. Maybe a bar of chocolate every weekend.

• Jayne says:

Thanks dd. Back to the refined sugar habit which has given me other problems for some time. Once a week for chocolate is little hard to manage, but I’ll keep your sound advice in mind. :)

• dd says:

I received a box of Lindor chocolates (CNY) and I’m trying to leave the last pieces for my aunt but the creamy caramel centers which melts in your mouth is telling me to forget about her.

• Jayne says:

dd,
          Maybe next time you can just accept cash gifts instead of sweets.

Lindt brand is good. I like candied orange peel dipped in chocolate.

20. vann says:

I hope Bob will get well soon. God bless you, Bob.

Readers are no longer able to comment on this old article.

• JayneStars News Subscription

Never miss any of JayneStars' hottest entertainment news!

Enter your email address: