Crystal Fung Is Taking Acting Classes

By on September 12, 2020 in Hong Kong, NEWS

Crystal Fung Is Taking Acting Classes

A full-time entertainer for four years now, Crystal Fung (馮盈盈) has been awarded many opportunities, from acting to hosting. Though she received criticisms for her acting skills and speaking out of line sometimes, TVB continues to push her to the top. She even cut a birthday cake with Virginia Lok (樂易玲) in June, proving Virginia’s favoritism for this young actress. In an interview, she reflects on her time in the industry and shares that acting has trained her EQ immensely.

Crystal Takes Acting Classes

Having received backlash for her poor acting skills and lazy pronunciation, Cyrstal has been trying to get rid of her weaknesses. Not only is she attending speech therapy sessions to improve her speaking, but she is also attending Lawrence Cheng‘s (郑丹瑞) acting class to improve her art. She said, “Acting is very subjective. It is hard to have everyone agree with you. From the beginning, I never thought that I would get approvals from everyone. I just wanted to get more recognition, which is why I worked hard.”

She continued to share that the acting training is done through videos, and sometimes that can interfere with her filming schedule, so she will purposely wake up early or stay up late to complete her work. She said, “The course is not forceful, and no one will come after you even if you quit, but it is about being responsible for yourself because you actually want to improve.”

Dealing with Her Image

Aside from the harsh feedback regarding her acting, Crystal has also been labeled as an “MK (Mong Kong) mui” and a partygoer ever since she won Miss Hong Kong 2016. When asked if that upsets her, she said, “From the beginning, people probably noticed me more because of my novelty. Till now, people are still noticing me because they want to see if I changed. I won’t change myself to be more ladylike just because people are losing interest in me. I want them to see the real me.”

Maintaining her straightforward personality in the variety show Young and Restless < #後生仔傾吓偈>, Crystal has been excelling as a talk show host, which she said differs greatly from being an actress. For one, it takes time and perseverance to stay in character and complete a drama, and she does get anxious if her work has not been aired. “I now know that I can’t rush it,” Crystal expressed. “If all of my works come out in such a short period at the same time, people will be confused. I trust that if I do my best, people will notice.”

She added, “Even though people think I am very cheerful, I used to isolate myself. In the past, after filming my first dramas, I would go home and cry. Every time I think I could have done better, I would feel puzzled. Now, I can share openly with my friends.”

With this matured mindset, she is anticipating what viewers will think of her performance in her upcoming dramas, Sinister Beings <逆天奇案> and AI Lover <智能愛(AI)人>.

Her Parents Support Her

Though she is serious about her work, the media is more interested in her personal life. Last year, Cyrstal made headlines when she broke up with her ex-boyfriend, Dr. Martin Chung (鍾文浩), and rented a new place to live independently instead of moving in with her parents in their new place. She said they didn’t have enough room for her, as even the living room was occupied by the family’s two dogs.

Though Crystal thought it was time for her to be independent and learn how to manage her own home, her parents did not want her to live alone. “Even if they are worried, they won’t ask directly, and instead, they will take action,” she said. “They told me to go look at a three-room apartment with them even though neither their lease nor mine expired yet. There was no need for an explanation because we understand each other. It is very heart-warming, but I am also sorry for making them worry.”

Crystal added, “It is weird that people are very focused on me like where I live, my rent, and also which places I have toured. I wonder why I am so newsworthy to the public?” she shared.

No News is Bad News

After discussing with her friends, she learned that it means she has news value. She believes it is a good thing, especially for an actress. She lives by the mentality that no news is bad news, so she laughs along whenever she is embroiled in the negative press nowadays.

Not lingering on the negativity, she is working on her next goal after achieving her childhood dream of winning Miss Hong Kong. She said, “I am very driven, so I want to be a versatile artist because I like challenging non-mainstream things. I want to try singing and become a singer.”

In the past, she has shown her horrible singing in Young and Restless, but she believes that is a challenge she is willing to try to become an all-around artist.

Source: HK01

This article is written by Hailey for JayneStars.com

27 comments to Crystal Fung Is Taking Acting Classes

1. m0m0 says:

wanting the people to see the real her. the real her is just as annoying as the fake her…

Login or Register before you can reply to m0m0
    • yuaida replied:

@m0m0 – Absolutely agree………..To this day, I still cannot see what qualities she had to win Miss HK, or even be allowed to film TVB series………Her face is below average, and is exactly the MK Mui look as she says herself………Her acting skills is even worse than Eliza Sam’s (which in itself is lower than low)……..And, she reflects nothing more than an annoying and irritating image no matter what character she plays………She just doesn’t what it takes to be in the entertainment business.

Login or Register before you can reply to yuaida
  2. bubbles23 says:

“no news is bad news”
    Gee I wish the media would stop mentioning her.
    There’s just something about the way her lips are when she talks that makes her very unattractive and annoying as an actress, I’m not sure if acting classes can fix that.

Login or Register before you can reply to bubbles23
    • m0m0 replied:

@bubbles23
      some senior has to be bold enough to tell her that.

Login or Register before you can reply to m0m0
  3. potatochip says:

She really needs the acting classes. But she lacks charisma also. Hopefully, that will improve too.

Login or Register before you can reply to potatochip
    • conan2209 replied:

@potatochip don’t think one can improve charisma.

If we look at The character Cash in DBZ, there is nothing likeable about her but most prob cos it’s portrayed by Ali, most people finds the character adorable. Ali has that charisma that artiste looks for, even when she was portraying vixen’s role.

If we look at Sam, she has portrayed so many different characters in the last few months, instead of calling her versatile, most are complaining about C9 and having to see Her again. (if you read the comments on TVB FB page). She lacks that charisma.

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
      • bubbles23 replied:

@conan2209 Paris was also an annoying role but Ali absolutely aced it, it’s my fav from her aside from Never.

Login or Register before you can reply to bubbles23
      • conan2209 replied:

@bubbles23 very true! Who would have thought a empty vase character will be so endearing.

Like I said before , the lady taking over LM lead actress role will be much compared to Never and I hope she’s all ready for it.

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
      • potatochip replied:

@conan2209 LOL, I was being optimistic. Probably overly so. I hated watching Charmaine at the beginning, but when she finally started improving and being herself more, I saw her charm. I don’t watch the talk shows, but assuming Crystal is more relaxed and herself there, does she have some likeability factor? If so, perhaps that can finally come out if she learned to act.

I do love Ali’s charisma. There have been gorgeous actresses in the past, but many lack that draw. Ali is very special for being both. I agree, characters like Never, Paris, or Cash, are usually annoying and not the type I like, but she makes them enjoyable and relatable. She has definitely improved her acting and I look forward to this new robot series. Hopefully, they will show Amelia’s Rhapsody soon too.

Login or Register before you can reply to potatochip
      • hetieshou replied:

@potatochip

Honestly, to this day I still find Charmaine not that good of an actress. She just does not have it to be a natural or good actress. Some just do not have it regardless of how many years they act. I feel acting is a skill that you either have or you do not. Charisma is something you need to naturally have as you cannot improve on that.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
      • conan2209 replied:

@hetieshou agree, she’s not natural, you can see the “acting’ in her But for the better ones, they will lead you to believe they are who they portrayed.

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
      • hetieshou replied:

@conan2209
        Are you referring to Charmaine? Her acting has improved through the years due to experience, but she is never a good actress to me. Like I have said, acting is a skill you either have or you do not. Experience and hard work can make you improve but if you do not have the innate talent to act well and charisma then nothing can make you good.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
      • conan2209 replied:

@potatochip think they change the title to Beauty and the Boss, I so hope they’ll show it early enough for Ali to have a Go for BA again this year!

I remember hating Charmaine acting too, it was worse than bad. She said a Long time ago it was Gallen Lo that helped her find the inner skills. I saw her once in a mall in HK, rather petite and trying very hard to keep a Low profile. Don’t know why but I’ll never call myself a fan of hers.
        I watch clips of crystal in the talk show, her high pitch voice is rather irritating and doesn’t sound much like a person with substance, almost bimbo like. Surprisingly, I’m impressed with Louisa, indeed the scholar (10As) she is. I hope her intention is not to stay in show business for good, I feel she can contribute more to society if she’s in politics

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
      • hetieshou replied:

@conan2209
        I agree and that is where it is either you have it or you don’t. You can have decent acting skills but when you lack charisma, there is nothing you can do to improve that. Like with Ron Ng, he may not have the best acting skills but he has charisma which is something you either have or you don’t.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
    • hetieshou replied:

@potatochip
      Sadly charisma is something that either have or you do not have. It is not something you can improve.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
  4. bearbear says:

Don’t know which actress I dislike her – Grace Chan or this one but I am giving credit to Crystal for taking up classes on her acting unlike the former though I wonder why she chose to learn from Lawrence Cheng who is better known as a compere than an actor.
    Still, both Crystal and Grace are annoying, very annoying.

Login or Register before you can reply to bearbear
    • potatochip replied:

@bearbear In another post there was a discussion on how some actresses never improve because they are too self-conscious. I think this is Grace Chan, she always struck me as more worried about appearing beautiful.

Login or Register before you can reply to potatochip
      • conan2209 replied:

@potatochip but but she’s not even close to beautiful, I remember my jaws dropped when I heard she won the contest.

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
    • hetieshou replied:

@bearbear

I agree and Grace and her are both very annoying and not even meant to be actresses. They just do not have the skills and charisma. Grace just tries to look pretty but that is it.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
    • bubbles23 replied:

@bearbear Grace is the definition of a person too caught up with her beauty pageant titles, and then FYY is the exact opposite, who doesn’t give a crap about the Miss HK image of being elegant and polished. Both are much better off not doing tv shows. At least Grace is gone from acting now, but I fear FYY will be here for a while as no one will marry her ( joking)

Login or Register before you can reply to bubbles23
      • conan2209 replied:

@bubbles23 wonder if TVB is trying to help Crystal by casting her in the same show as Ali then.

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
      • tt23 replied:

@conan2209 if that’s them trying to help her, I don’t think that will help much lol because Ali will outshine her and is more likeable than her.

Login or Register before you can reply to tt23
      • conan2209 replied:

@tt23 no doubt Ali will shine, I just so can’t wAit to see Ali onscreen again!

Pairing Crystal with Ali will allow Crystal to get some airtime with the audiences Ali can draw. Eg, I will tolerate Crystal for Ali. Even if I end up condemning Crystal skills, I’ll remember her existence ;p

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
    • conan2209 replied:

@bearbear I hate Grace more! Many go to Lawrence for acting and some to Anthony. Wonder who Ali went to (think she went to 2)

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
  5. pompidur says:

‘In the beginning, people probably noticed me more because of my novelty’. The first time I really noticed her was from The Defected. Like, who is this girl and why is her acting so bad. She really knows how to worm her way to Ms. Lok’s heart.

Login or Register before you can reply to pompidur
  6. I think the only drama I actually liked Crystal in was Apple Colada. After that all her other roles aren’t great. I’ve seen some clips of her in AI but she just seems rigid and uncomfortable.

Login or Register before you can reply to oligodendrocytes
  7. jingxi2943 says:

Where is Jacqueline wong when tvb needs her.. sigh

Login or Register before you can reply to jingxi2943