Tony Leung Discusses Tough Childhood and Carina Lau’s Love

By on September 23, 2012 in NEWS, Star Interviews

Luisa Lai’s (黎芷珊) TVB talk show, The Best Actor <最佳男主角> will feature many superstars, including Andy Lau (劉德華) , Ekin Cheng (鄭伊健) and even Tony Leung (梁朝偉)!

As a very private person, Tony Leung rarely appears on talk shows, but accepted good friend, Louisa’s invitation to show his support. During the interview, Tony spoke about his broken family while growing up and the regrets of not visiting his father for the last time before his death. He also discussed his relationship with  his wife, Carina Lau (劉嘉玲).

Tony’s Broken Family

When he was ten years old, Tony’s parents got divorced. His mother took care of both Tony and his sister. Tony said, “Growing up in a single family made me stronger, mature and independent. I was basically the father in the family. I had to care for my sister and the household.” He believes his childhood made him into a person of independence.

Since his parent’s divorce, Tony had seen his father only a few times. His father felt like a stranger. Tony’s mother did not seem to be affected by the divorce. “Both of my parents never explained what happened between them because they thought we were too young to understand.”

Tony’s Regret

Since Tony became an actor in the 1980s, he has not seen his father. “The last time I saw him, he felt like a complete stranger to me. I was angry at what he did to us, but now I have forgiven him.”

Tony said his father had passed away more than ten years ago. He regretted not seeing him for the last time. Tony lamented, “I treasure my mother and sister more because one regret is more than enough.”

With only praise towards his mother, Tony said, “She took care of us while working a full time job, day in and day out. Sometimes I feel uncomfortable talking to her since there wasn’t a lot of communication between us when I grew up. I love my mom and I am sure she knows that deep in her heart.” Tony said he spent less time with his mother early in his career, but since then he has tried very hard to be with her more often.”

Relationship with Carina Lau

Although Tony and Carina’s personalities may appear to be polar opposites, their relationship has lasted for two decades. Tony said Carina is a happy, straightforward person, and has a wild and crazy side. However, she can be mature and caring at the same time. Tony referred to Carina as the boss of the household. Tony said, “She also started working at a young age to support her family.  She is very organized, mature and independent like me. Carina handles everything for me, and there’s nothing for me to worry about. When I get home, I feel like I am there to enjoy my life.”

Tony and Carina costarred together in TVB series in the 1980s, but they did not start dating until performing in a theater play a decade later.  When asked how he had proposed to Carina, Tony said, “After many years of dating, I felt marriage was essential, especially for the woman. So when she brought up marriage, I happily agreed. On top of that, Carina took care of all the wedding details. That was pretty amazing.”

Source: Ming Pao Weekly #2289 via ihktv.com

This article is written by Lance for JayneStars.com.

23 comments to Tony Leung Discusses Tough Childhood and Carina Lau’s Love

1. Heather says:

Is ekin considered to be in the same league as Andy and tony…?

Login or Register before you can reply to Heather
    • mito replied:

Possible? But Sean Lau definitely is same league with Tony.

Big Tony Leung Kar Fai, also awesome.

Login or Register before you can reply to mito
      • EkinFan replied:

Ekin is definitely in the same league as those 2, stop hating

Login or Register before you can reply to EkinFan
    • munkimui replied:

ekin is very ugly. i don’t know why people like him. i also don’t know why people like eason chan.

Login or Register before you can reply to munkimui
      • EkinFan replied:

you’re ugly munkimui, you’re ugly

Login or Register before you can reply to EkinFan
    • happybi replied:

Agree. Ekin is def. not in the same league as Andy and Tony. Sean, Tony Leung Kar Fai, Jacky Cheung are..

Login or Register before you can reply to happybi
  2. HeTieShou says:

I read this interview at another site and really felt so sad for Tony, but at the same time it showed how his life experiences developed him into who he is today. It is so sad that he did not get to see his father one last time. It is also great that he has forgiven his father. Everyone should value everyone and everything around them while they still can since you never know when you will lose them…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  3. JJ says:

Carina = Mother figure = Good relationship haha

Login or Register before you can reply to JJ
    • HeTieShou replied:

You can be right to some extent JJ. Guys that are close to their mom, may be attracted to girls that have traits that are similar to their mothers…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • ravenz replied:

i totally agree with you on this part :
        “Guys that are close to their mom, may be attracted to girls that have traits that are similar to their mother”

Login or Register before you can reply to ravenz
  4. munkimui says:

is it true that carina got kidnapped and raped?

Login or Register before you can reply to munkimui
    • Linnh replied:

She got kidnapped yeah, she don’t admit that she got raped, but it says that it is videos of her been raped, so I don’t know, I haven’t watch those videos.

Login or Register before you can reply to Linnh
    • Christy replied:

Its true..i saw her video long time ago..the look n sound is similar to her.. Glad that she can forget her past n bcome herself now.

Login or Register before you can reply to Christy
      • Michael replied:

If the video was actually clear that its her, how could she deny it wasn’t her?

Login or Register before you can reply to Michael
  5. ping0 says:

I’ve always loved tony since the 80’s and he seems to have the same respect and cool then and still now. I still like Ekin too and I hope he find happiness, I don’t think Ekin is ugly just because he is not a pretty boy and a idol star, he has a different kind of hard edge cool to him.

Login or Register before you can reply to ping0
  6. Linnh says:

Tony’s childhood is definitly tuff, but it made him into the one he is today, and this really makes me admiring him even more. He is a brilliant actor, and so down to earth.

Login or Register before you can reply to Linnh
  7. trini says:

Ekinfan, you need to slow down. Just cause one say Ekin ugly , no need to attack. I like ekin too and not think he is ugly. I will not call anyone ugly who say Ekin ugly. As for Tony, he in a league of his own. No andy can come near to him in acting or singing. Tony very remarkable man, very honest about his life and his appreciation for his wife. He usually so quiet, was surprised he opned his world so much.

Login or Register before you can reply to trini
    • sky replied:

I’m sure Aaron Kwok and Andy Lau are in the same league as Tony…

Login or Register before you can reply to sky
    • irtrustno1 replied:

That’s your opinion about Tony. He was not always this “cool” and honest. He was more of a “player” back in the ’80s, being involved w/ multiple actresses at the same time. As for his acting, he basically plays the same wong kar wai roles over & over again. His range is pretty limited. He’s really bad with crying/emotional scenes and exceptionally bad in period dramas. I cringed while watching him in Hero. He seemed really out of place in these period dramas. And don’t even get me started w/ his singing. He sounds really atrocious.. My skin turns into chicken skin when I hear him sing (@@)..

Login or Register before you can reply to irtrustno1
  8. skinnymocha says:

Gosh, I am very much looking forward to this.

I remember watching some of Tony’s dramas when I was little – especially the more loud, brash, comedic roles. The first time I ever watched an interview of his, I was completely thrown back at how *different* he is in real life.

Login or Register before you can reply to skinnymocha
  9. elin says:

am rewatching tony potrayal of wai siu po in his tvb days.. wat yummy man.. he has clearly grown better in time.. hes like fine wine hehehhe

Login or Register before you can reply to elin
  10. aptos says:

Kudos to Tony showing his vulnerable side and accepting Carina for better for worse. Life is too short to be a demanding and insensitive person. It is far happier to be understanding and agreeable person.

Login or Register before you can reply to aptos
  11. Cleo says:

God! Is any of this news real? I saw that two minute promo on TVB of new actors when they were first starting out and she was blazingly attractive all dolled up old school but their public image is one where he’s not that into her and is kind of just slacking and she never wears strong makeup that would suit her better than the pale face she usually shows. She should go with the same look as Gigi Chao’s mother because it would SUIT her.

Login or Register before you can reply to Cleo