By on January 31, 2018 in Hot Gossip!, NEWS, TV Dramas

Facing viewers’ criticism over her acting, Grace Chan (陳凱琳) admitted that she had felt deeply unhappy and lost confidence in herself. Although boyfriend Kevin Cheng (鄭嘉穎) has encouraged her by giving her acting tips before, Grace still does not want him to watch her performance in the currently airing The Forgotten Valley <平安谷之詭谷傳說>.

Grace explained, “I know Kevin hasn’t seen the drama. I told him not to watch it because I’m anxious about his criticism. I don’t think I’m able to perform to his expectation yet.”

Asked if she is concerned Kevin will be jealous if he watched her kissing scenes with Raymond Wong (黃浩然) in the drama, Grace said, “Although this is a pre-modern drama, but my character is more open due to my westernized upbringing. Our characters are newlyweds and will show our affections towards each other.”

When teased if she will often kiss Kevin at home, Grace said, “During appropriate times. Of course if we are arguing then we won’t kiss immediately afterward.”

Kevin Gives Grace Acting Tips

Since Kevin is 12 years older than Grace and has more experience, he would give her acting tips. Grace revealed, “He often suggests that I can pay more attention to the small details, such as my voice and gestures.” She added, “One time, I asked Kevin to read the script for me because I was very unhappy over viewers’ criticism.”

Aware of viewers’ harsh criticism towards her acting, Grace had even questioned if she should persist in the profession. “Dramas should entertain viewers. If I make viewers upset or unhappy with my acting, then am I doing the opposite of what I am supposed to do?”

But Grace’s perseverance is paying off, as viewers have noticed an improvement in her acting in The Forgotten Valley. “Before the drama was aired, I tried to prepare myself as to what others will say. Although I can’t say that all my confidence has returned, it’s better than before. I feel less hopeless. Hope that viewers can accept me in different roles. Many people say that my role [in The Forgotten Valley] reflects my real-life personality. But as an artiste, I want to portray characters that are very different than my real self.”

Source: On.cc

This article is written by Jayne for JayneStars.com.

How do you feel about this article?

• First Mother’s Day for Grace Chan and Phoebe Sin(1)
  • Grace Chan and Kevin Cheng Can’t Wait for Their Son to Grow Up(46)
  • Kevin Cheng Thinks His Son is an “Emperor”(27)
  • Kevin Cheng’s Newborn is Driving Him Crazy(7)
  • Kevin Cheng, Grace Chan Celebrate Their Son’s One-Month Birthday(11)
  • Grace Chan Makes Appearance 2 Weeks After Giving Birth(36)
  • Grace Chan, Kevin Cheng Share Photo of Newborn Son, Rafael(154)
  • Grace Chan Gives Birth; Kevin Cheng Spotted Leaving Hospital(23)
  • Grace Chan Holds Baby Shower(2)
  • Grace Chan’s Baby Bump Can’t be Contained(0)

• 36 comments to Grace Chan Doesn’t Want Kevin Cheng to Criticize Her Acting in “The Forgotten Valley”

1. hannah says:

i want to watch the forgotten valley but i can’t stand Grace so haven’t start it lol

Login or Register before you can reply to hannah
      • mindee replied:

@hannah Lol I didn’t want to either at first. But the storyline is interesting. The other actors make it enjoyable. But I don’t think she’d improved though.

Login or Register before you can reply to mindee
    2. jimmyszeto says:

Grace shouldn’t give up. She has charisma but just sometimes exaggerates her lines and slightly over the top. Much better than Charmaine when she started.Would be a waste to get tied down by devoting her life to an old man when so young. Still early days in her career.

Login or Register before you can reply to jimmyszeto
      • m0m0 replied:

@jimmyszeto

i agree with everything. i don’t know why she chose someone so much older esp she’s so pretty and young

Login or Register before you can reply to m0m0
      • ricky721 replied:

@jimmyszeto, agreed…

Login or Register before you can reply to ricky721
    3. mimi8 says:

At least she gets that she’s not the best in acting, so many actors/actresses doesn’t get it at all

Login or Register before you can reply to mimi8
    4. coralie says:

Mmm I wonder if she reads our comments. Some of the stuff she says critics say about her sound suspiciously similar to what some of us had to say about her. Example, her playing herself in the drama.

And I dunno why everyone thinks Charmaine was a bad actress when she started. One of her starting dramas was when she acted in Return of the Cuckoo and she was mad popular for it. She’s never done a lead role that flopped. My impression of Grace declined dramatically after she led that pirate drama. I dunno how she went from decent and promising to terrible so fast. But I hope she learned from the experience and is reflecting on her acting to do better in the future

Login or Register before you can reply to coralie
      • mambamentality2 replied:

@coralie With regards to Charmaine having a rough start to her acting career, I think people are referring to her performances in flying fox of snowy mountain 99, crimson saber, and hsds 2000.

Login or Register before you can reply to mambamentality2
        • tiffany replied:

@mambamentality2 DIF4 and Flying Fox. Her debut drama, Time Off, was also bad lol

Login or Register before you can reply to tiffany
        • coralie replied:

@mambamentality2 @tiffany @kidd @jimmyszeto – ok, I did watch hsds a long time ago briefly, but from what I saw, she really wasn’t that bad. not as bad as grace. because at the very least, Charmaine didn’t make me cringe. she was wooden and stiff, but no better or worse than ron ng. so still watchable, but hard. grace…i couldn’t watch her onscreen in that pirate drama. i really couldn’t.

Login or Register before you can reply to coralie
        • jimmyszeto replied:

@coralie
          I didn’t say she was bad in ‘Heavens sword Dragons Sabre’. That was the same year as Return of the Cuckoo. I’m talking about the previous year. Much worse than Grace. Absolutely unbearable and cringeworthy. Grace at least is loud and confident.

Login or Register before you can reply to jimmyszeto
        • coralie replied:

@jimmyszeto I added a bunch of ppl; one of the ladies mentioned hsds. but maybe she really was bad prior to return of cuckoo & hsds. I’ve never seen her in those bad ones, so I’m luckier than the rest of you I guess lol.

Login or Register before you can reply to coralie
        • jimmyszeto replied:

@coralie
          Yes you are lucky. Apart from the viewers, the most unlucky one has to be Sunny Chan who was unfortunately casted opposite Charmaine. It was quite amazing that Charmaine was given even better lead opportunities afterwards seeing that she wasn’t a pageant winner and her acting was awful. She turned it around very quickly and her acting became more natural and likeable.

Login or Register before you can reply to jimmyszeto
        • kidd replied:

@jimmyszeto

Actually, Charmaine was a pageant winner. She was second runner up in Miss HK 1997. Shortly after the pageant, there was a scandal between the winner and first runner up. So, TVB ended up promoting Charmaine instead.

Login or Register before you can reply to kidd
        • jimmyszeto replied:

@kidd
          Pageant winner means coming 1st but I understand the scandal must have helped her.

Login or Register before you can reply to jimmyszeto
        • replied:

@jimmyszeto LOL! Literally just spit out my tea…

I agree, Grace’s acting, while bad, is nowhere nearly as cringe-worthy as Charmaine’s was back when she first made her appearances. I had to give mad props to Sunny for his ability to emote whilst acting alongside such an incompetent (at the time) costar.

That said, I was certain that Charmaine was a hopeless cause and she proved me very wrong, so I’m willing to give Grace the benefit of a doubt.

Login or Register before you can reply to
      • kidd replied:

@coralie

I think ‘Return of the Cuckoo’ was the series where she start getting positive approval from audience and ‘Country Spirit’ was the series where many said she improved a lot (from mediocre to good). She got really bad criticism for her first 3 series.

Login or Register before you can reply to kidd
      • jimmyszeto replied:

@coralie
        Watch ‘flying fox’ and ‘Detective Investigation Files’. People aren’t copying comments from each other. Most have seen the Louis Koo,Jessica version of Detective Investigation Files.Return of the Cuckoo was Charmaine’s breakthrough. It was a massive surprise. Suddenly a bad actress can turn an amazing performance. Grace should not give up but I understand the pressure with others around her improving at a much greater pace (Sisley)

Login or Register before you can reply to jimmyszeto
      • m0m0 replied:

@coralie
        yeah, i remember snowy mountain flying fox was aweful. charmine was not watchable at all. i couldn’t bare her

Login or Register before you can reply to m0m0
      • kaykay replied:

She was so awful in DIF IV!!! But definitely improved a ton in Return of the Cuckoo. She was still a bit raw in acting but it can be overlooked because of the nature of her role in the drama.

Login or Register before you can reply to kaykay
    5. wm2017 says:

‘ Since Kevin is 12 years older than Grace ‘ I thought their age gap was over 20 years or something??

Login or Register before you can reply to wm2017
      • bubbletea replied:

@wm2017 Kevin is 48, Motor Mouth, sorry, Grace is 26. You can do the math, lol.

Login or Register before you can reply to bubbletea
    6. passingby says:

Yes Grace you’re not suitable for tvb dramas. It feels weird to watch a Chinese drama but the female lead looks like she’s more suitable for Bollywood. Plus you don’t need to tell us that you and Kevin kiss.

Login or Register before you can reply to passingby
    7. tiffany says:

Just look at two pictures above. Grace is very photogenic, but it doesn’t translate in motion. She just looks out of place in pre-modern/ancient dramas. Perhaps that’s why she’s typecast.

Login or Register before you can reply to tiffany
      • kolo replied:

@tiffany thats because her face is too expressive and easily overact with face expression.

Login or Register before you can reply to kolo
    8. kaykay says:

I think Grace needs to learn how to take criticism/constructive criticism better. The reason why she is stunted in her improvement is because she cares too much about criticism and haters. I’m neutral about Sisley but maybe Grace needs to take a few pointers from her? Sisley has actually been great at channeling her negative feedback into some improvement.

Login or Register before you can reply to kaykay
    9. bubbletea says:

Motor Mouth, sorry, Grace Chan to Kevin Cheng.

GRACE…..” honey, should we finally sit and watch one of my projects?”

KEVIN…..” I think I should go to bed , please, don’t put a DVD in, there is nothing to see dear. Besides, I had to look at, and listen to Eric Tsang playing the role of a woman, dressed in a bikini. No offence my parrot, my eyes and ears have been punished enough for one day. Perhaps some other time, my motor mouth lover?”.

Login or Register before you can reply to bubbletea
    10. iciel says:

I do see that Grace has improved in this series. Her speech is more controlled and her accent has gotten better. I could stand watching her even though her character is annoying.

I think we should all give Grace a chance. We did criticize Sisley pretty hard at the beginning but she has improved a lot since. Grace should also have that chance to prove herself. I think the majority of people don’t want to because her real life personality is quite annoying. But honestly, Grace doesn’t make me cringe as hard as Shirley Yeung in In the Realm of Fancy (2003). And Shirley did become better so maybe Grace will too. She just need to gain the audience’s affection by not talking so much.

Login or Register before you can reply to iciel
      • bubbletea replied:

@iciel the problem with Grace is not just the fact that her yakking motor mouth is not just on all you can yap mode, She volunteers sensitive and personal information about her fellow celebs nowadays to the media. she also cannot, and will not take constructive criticism like Shirley or Sisley and others did. If she did that, maybe there is hope for her to improve. Instead she lashes out at her critics and makes herself look like the innocent victim who is unfairly wronged. That is why so many of us here have issues with her in general.

Add the fact that Turbo Tongue cannot act even if her life and her annoying voice depended on it.

Login or Register before you can reply to bubbletea
    11. killer02 says:

lol

Login or Register before you can reply to killer02
    12. vyvy says:

Some of you compared Grace with Charmaine, but let see how their career and acting improved over the years, both were heavily promoted by TVB.
      Grace started her acting career since 2014, it is more than 3 years now and where she is in her career? Charmaine started in 1998 and by 2000 she already gained recognition from the audiences and became famous, and she did not have a famous boyfriend.
      By her 5th dramas HSDS, Charmaine did show improvement. Her performance was not fabulous but it was a job well done. To me, she already showed some improvement in Investigate Files IV, not much but she did improved a bit since Flying Fox. By the 6th drama, Return of the Cucoo, her acting already received positive comments and the audiences recognized her acting, she also became famous from this drama. In country spirit, she already showed that she is talented, and her acting got applauded from the audiences. That was her 7th drama.
      For Grace, how many drama has she been in? Did she improve the same level Charmaine did? Did she received recognition from the audiences for her most recent performance?
      One more thing, Charmaine always took and takes criticism very well, unlike someone. Charmaine did not have a boyfriend to mention every time she had an interview.

Login or Register before you can reply to vyvy
      • jimmyszeto replied:

@vyvy
        You have misinterpreted this. No one has compared Charmaine with Grace. Just saying that if Charmaine can turn it around after starting of badly then others can strive to do the same. I will have to give Charmaine the benefit of the doubt though in her first couple of series. The characters she played were quiet innocent girls which are far from her real playful personality hence why is maybe the reason why she struggled.Grace has however been given much more tailor made roles. There is no timescale to improve and turn it around as long as the opportunities keep coming. Gallen was casted in at least 10 series as lead and his acting was terrible until he broke through.

Login or Register before you can reply to jimmyszeto
    13. melia880 says:

I understand not being able to face criticism from audiences as sometimes people can be cruel. However, not being able to take criticism from your boyfriend, who happens to be experienced AND probably means well/wants the best for you, is, in my opinion, kind of sad. No wonder there is such slow progress then, if her own opinion, or positive opinions, are all that she wants to hear.

Login or Register before you can reply to melia880
      • llwy12 replied:

@melia880 Exactly. I think this is one of the main reasons why so many of us dislike Grace. To not be able to take criticism from strangers is one thing, but to not be able to/not want to take criticism (more like advice) from “family” (I use this term loosely, since Grace and Kevin aren’t married yet) who has her best interests at heart, to me, it shows that Grace has an attitude problem – either that or Grace doesn’t intend for acting to be her career in the first place hence she doesn’t want to bother putting in the effort to improve. If it truly is the latter, then I hope Grace leaves the industry and finds a career that is better suited to her, as this would be a win/win for both audiences (don’t have to see her on screen anymore) as well as herself (doing something she likes without having to be constantly criticized).

Login or Register before you can reply to llwy12
        • melia880 replied:

@llwy12 Agreed, I hope she leaves too if she doesn’t want to be acting in the first place. Better for everyone… probably for her relationship too, since they don’t need to be awkward over Grace’s acting (I’m just assuming here, but it sounds awkward to me with Kevin having “expectations” for her acting, and her not being comfortable enough for him to watch the drama).

Login or Register before you can reply to melia880