Cecilia Cheung Criticized by Faye Wong’s Friend

By on February 6, 2021 in Chinese Drama, Hot Gossip!, NEWS

Cecilia Cheung Criticized by Faye Wong’s Friend

Competing in music survival competition Sisters Who Makes Waves 2 <乘风破浪的姐姐 2>, Cecilia Cheung‘s (張栢芝) moves are being watched closely, especially her interactions on the show with Na Ying (那英). As the Chinese singer is a close friend of Cecilia’s former love rival Faye Wong (王菲), viewers wonder whether their loaded remarks signify a deeper animosity.

Concentrating her career in China, Cecilia joined the second season of Sisters Who Makes Waves to fight for a spot in the final all-female pop group. Training under the watchful eyes of Na Ying, Cecilia is also placed in the awkward position of working closely with her ex-husband Nicholas Tse’s (謝霆鋒) good friend Joey Yung (容祖兒) and his manager Mani Fok (霍汶希), who are serving as mentor and consultant respectively on the show.

Three episodes have been broadcast, and Cecilia’s singing and dancing skills leave a lot to be desired. Her singing is out of tune, and she is uncoordinated and constantly forgets dance moves.

In the first episode, the sisters had to vote among each other to determine who is able to progress to the next stage. Na Ying had not cast her vote yet, but Cecilia ran backstage in tears after her own performance. She thanked everyone for their support and hugged Na Ying, who then joked, “Don’t cry, I didn’t vote for you.” Cecilia jokingly retorted, “That’s why I didn’t thank you.”

Viewers felt that this moment was full of tension. They were also displeased with Cecilia’s constant laughing fits during dance practice, as it seemed that she was not serious, and resulting in the search phrase “Cecilia Cheung’s dancing is hilarious” trending on social media. Some viewers praised her for being cute, but others feel that her performance was horrible.

The clip of her performance was then shared by Faye’s good friend with the username Tao Tao Tao Tao on Weibo with the comment, “I don’t know why she’s here. She simply paddles water, and still makes money. And there are a bunch of people praising her for being cute–what’s going on?” A netizen left a comment that pushing water indicates that you have the ability to do the job but you are just lazy, and believes Cecilia is a lost cause. Tao replied, “She has no ability and no shame,” but ended up deleting the comments later on.

It is rumored that Faye is the brand ambassador for the sponsor of the show, and that she may sing the theme song for Sisters Who Make Waves 2. There is a chance that she and Cecilia may finally meet on stage, but nothing has been confirmed.

Cecilia’s Performances on “Sisters Who Make Waves 2”

Source: HK01

A previous version of the article incorrectly stated that Na Ying was a judge on the show.

This article is written by Kiki for JayneStars.com.

35 comments to Cecilia Cheung Criticized by Faye Wong’s Friend

1. piper says:

Na Ying is a contestant on the show, not a judge. And there was no so called “tension”. The ladies get along just fine. Joey and Cecilia weren’t awkward with each other at all either. I agree that Cecilia’s performances were pretty bad but she’s trying and I appreciate the fact that she doesn’t have a diva attitude like some other contestants on the show

Login or Register before you can reply to piper
    • mike replied:

@piper ya Na Ying is just a participant, not the judge. There wasn’t any tension between Joey and Cecilia at all, they greeted each other and talked like normal people. I think the whole article mixed up the participants. They might mean Na Ying and Cecilia may have some tension since Na Ying is Faye Wong’s BFF and might not choose Cecilia into her group since Cecilia hasn’t done well in any performances. Can’t blame Na Ying for not wanting her to be honest.

Login or Register before you can reply to mike
  2. noodlez says:

Wow. She is uniquely untalented. Didn’t anyone advise her to think about joining this show? As an actress she was below mediocre. As an entertainer? Can it get worse?

Login or Register before you can reply to noodlez
  3. bizzybody says:

To survive in the entertainment industry I think connections and luck plays an important part too.
    Some whom we feel have no significant talents are still able to remain popular and make a name for themselves.
    But I feel to comment too harshly on social media is not acceptable behaviour because this is another person’s rice bowl we’re talking about. She may feel she has to support her own children instead of relying on others and force herself to go on despite her own shortcomings and the harsh criticisms.
    As judges, they can give constructive criticism on which areas she should improve in. I’m sure she herself is aware how her performance is compared to other contestants.

Login or Register before you can reply to bizzybody
  4. skyblue says:

This entire article is so laughable. Cecilia is an actor, not a singer or a dancer which she declared openly. She also not accustomed to silly seductive moves that belittled women. Also there is nothing between her and Faye since Nic and her already divorced and not like Cecilia or Faye stole Nic from each other. She and Joey has known each other since ages and just because they are related by 6 degree that don’t mean they should be enemies. What a stupid article.

Login or Register before you can reply to skyblue
  5. m0m0 says:

she has natural talents for acting but not singing/dancing. i think she realizes it too. i think through the years, she was just known for being beautiful and a versatile actress but never as a singer. i don’t recall seeing her dance. the show is reaping her popularity but not her actual dancing/singing abilities.

Login or Register before you can reply to m0m0
  6. tatsumakijim says:

I don’t get it. This article sounds like stuff is being made up. Faye Wong doesn’t seem to care enough about Cecilia for her friends to take cheap shots at her.

Login or Register before you can reply to tatsumakijim
  7. exodus says:

Eh just a crap mainlander show trying to make the HK folks look bad, most likely scripted. Surprised Joey is on this tbh, not Cecilia though but she’s still looking especially after having 3 kids, props for her for that.

Login or Register before you can reply to exodus
  8. mulder99 says:

Cecilia was never known for singing,

Her performance was average but she still looks beautiful at her age

Login or Register before you can reply to mulder99
    • hetieshou replied:

@mulder99
      Yes she did sing but I think it was not successful for her so she gave that up and focused on acting.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
      • megamiaow replied:

@hetieshou It was actually very successful, but like all her other singer peers at the time e.g. her husband Nic Tse, Daniel Chan they left for acting not long after because the music scene was bombing.

Login or Register before you can reply to megamiaow
      • hetieshou replied:

@megamiaow
        You think she was successful? I don’t think it was as successful as you said.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
      • megamiaow replied:

@hetieshou Yes she was basically an idol singer being young and pretty. People bought her albums regardless. It was a short stint in her career but she was never unpopular.

Login or Register before you can reply to megamiaow
  9. jetmasters says:

Almost all her movies are box office bombs. Not good in singing. If she were boring, she would be the female Kenny Wong. She, along with Twins and Joey, were just lucky to be born in an era where there weren’t competition in the HK entertainment industry.

Login or Register before you can reply to jetmasters
    • c9killer replied:

@jetmasters This is the most accurate comment here. As a side note, Cecilia is looking super good these days.

Login or Register before you can reply to c9killer
    • coralie replied:

@jetmasters agree with everything except the part about Joey – she CAN sing!

Login or Register before you can reply to coralie
  10. meimei says:

Agree Cecilia is not a good singer and i really feel sorry for her. I do think she has a warm personality and i enjoy watching her on the show.
    As for Na Ying, nerver likes her. Such a Diva..

Login or Register before you can reply to meimei
    • jayne replied:

Cecilia’s musical talents aren’t very strong, but a lot of the buzz for the show is generated by her participation. I wouldn’t be surprised if Cecilia becomes one of the winners.

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
  11. conan2209 says:

If Myolie can be best actress, Cecilia can be best singer too and I’m definite Maggie Cheung will top Cecilia if she joins

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
    • hetieshou replied:

@conan2209
      Oh goodness,I still don’t get how Myolie got best actress. I am guessing it is because she got a fan base or something but it was definitely not due to her skills.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
      • conan2209 replied:

@hetieshou tell me about it!

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
      • hetieshou replied:

@conan2209
        But some awards are just for show like the TVB ones. Now if they won a Cannes award like Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung did then that would be a different story.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
      • conan2209 replied:

@hetieshou ermmm I am guessing you’ve never heard Maggie sang. 😉

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
      • megamiaow replied:

@conan2209 I would rather listen to cats fight then Maggie Cheung sing.

Login or Register before you can reply to megamiaow
      • conan2209 replied:

@megamiaow I know right! Yet, if she were to appear in any variety show now, she may just be our next best singer in China… LOL

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
      • hetieshou replied:

@conan2209
        No, I have heard Maggie sing and it is bad. I was referring to get acting skills not singing. Where did the singing stuff come in? Maggie did it more for fun not a career.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
      • hetieshou replied:

Meant to say her acting skills… Anyways I was referring to acting only not singing which is a completely different story.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
      • conan2209 replied:

@hetieshou ah, cos @jayne said Cecilia might become a winner cos of the buzz, thus i made a dig re Myolie and her acting award and then, another at Maggie cos she will create a lot more commotions should she join the same show (regardless of her singing)

I respect Maggie for her acting 😉

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
      • hetieshou replied:

@conan2209
        Oh yes and this whole thing reminds me of what my oldest brother said one time. I did not agree at that time but can see how true it is now. He said that many actor/actress turned singers get popular or well liked not because they are good singers but because they already have a fan base due to their acting. At first, I did not agree since I thought those were 2 different skills so just because you like them for on skill does not mean you need to like them for the other. However, now I can see some bias and die hard fans like their favorite actresses and actors regardless of how bad their singing is. Like with Ruby Lin who is not a good actress to me either but her singing is absolutely terrible. But her die hard fans praise her singing just because they are her fans. I love Maggie’s acting but her singing is pretty bad. But Maggie did it for fun unlike these others who released albums in spite of being so bad. Their die hard still bought their albums even if they are bad since they are fans of their acting. Sorry but singing and acting are 2 different categories. Just because you like their acting means you need to like their singing and visa versa.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
      • conan2209 replied:

@hetieshou and there a saying that if one acts well, he/she likely cannot sing. I love Ali but she def cannot sing. Let’s see if her singing lessons will do her good.

I believe Maggie had an album that was a total flop or she wanted one but no label wants her…

Login or Register before you can reply to conan2209
      • hetieshou replied:

@conan2209
        That is not always true as some are good at both. Like Tony Leung who is a wonderful actor but not a bad singer either. Jacky Cheung is an excellent singer but not a bad actor too. It just depends but what you said is generally true.

I guess you can’t always get the best of both worlds as Maggie is a fine actress but singing isn’t for her which is why I think she did not pursue it before. She focused on acting only and reached the highest height that she feels she no longer has anything more to reach so she tried out singing. Sadly it did not work out but at least she tried so has no regrets.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
      • snoopy replied:

@hetieshou I guess God must have loved Leslie Cheung a little bit more because he was good at both – singing & acting.

Login or Register before you can reply to snoopy
      • hetieshou replied:

@snoopy
        Oh yes, how can I forget Leslie ! He was wonderful in both! I guess I did not mention him because it would just make me sad. My late mom rarely complimented any celebrity but complimented Leslie all the time. Leslie is truly a legend.

Login or Register before you can reply to hetieshou
  12. coralie says:

Dang… after watching her performances, idk if I should be laughing or cringing. It was so bad! Her first performance – she was breathless and didn’t even finish some notes in her song. Her second performance was literally just to stand there and rap a few words, but she looked SO out of breath. What the heck lmao. Is her strapless corset cutting off her circulation or something!! Loool. I can’t. Because of her I can’t take the whole performance seriously… feel bad for the other ladies in her group. She did steal all the limelight (not because she’s so beautiful), but because she dance/performs so badly, you just can’t take your eyes away (like a trainwreck.)

Login or Register before you can reply to coralie
  13. coralie says:

And this article is so juvenile. Ceci is already a struggling mother; there is no need to dump hostility towards her just because her ex is their friend. It was just a bad relationship that didn’t work in the end, none of their business anyways.

Login or Register before you can reply to coralie